Raw editing tools

Hi there,
I was wondering, if somebody out there knows, whether Aperture and / or Lightroom support the raw files from the GH1?
Because I was thinking of buying one of these 2 tools soon... I tend to Aperture, because I guess (rather than know), hardware accelaration is probably better with an Apple tool (using a macbook pro). I tried Aperture some time ago, and generally it works fine for me...
But the thing what made me suspicious: when I try to import the raw-files into iPhoto, it won't - only takes the jpg-versions on the SDHC-card - although I can actually see previews of the raw-images in finder, so probably quicktime can read it!?!
Btw, I know iPhoto is not "the coolest tool on earth", but it's fast and at least it worked with the ORF-files, my Olympus DSLR makes :-/
I'd appriciate some tips,
Cheers, FD
 
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll say this.... personally I don't like Aperture that much. It's not as intuitive as Apple's other software. I haven't tried Lightroom yet, but probably will when my GH1 arrives, especially if it works with RAW from the GH1.

I'd be happy to try importing a RAW photo from the GH1 into Aperture to test it. I just need the RAW file is all, since my GH1 is in the limbo that is Panasonic's shipping fiasco.
 
Doesn't work with Aperture just yet

Doesn't work with Aperture just yet

Apple is usually taking its time to implement the new raw format, so don't count on Aperture supporting GH1 raw files any time soon.

I use Aperture daily and don't want to switch to Lightroom. While I wait I save up my raw files and process them via Silkypix (that comes with the camera).
 
Hi there,
I was wondering, if somebody out there knows, whether Aperture and / or Lightroom support the raw files from the GH1?
Because I was thinking of buying one of these 2 tools soon... I tend to Aperture, because I guess (rather than know), hardware accelaration is probably better with an Apple tool (using a macbook pro). I tried Aperture some time ago, and generally it works fine for me...
But the thing what made me suspicious: when I try to import the raw-files into iPhoto, it won't - only takes the jpg-versions on the SDHC-card - although I can actually see previews of the raw-images in finder, so probably quicktime can read it!?!
Btw, I know iPhoto is not "the coolest tool on earth", but it's fast and at least it worked with the ORF-files, my Olympus DSLR makes :-/
I'd appriciate some tips,
Cheers, FD
GH 1 is recording RAW 2 and all RAW formats depends on the sensor so GH 1 has an other sensor than G1 so RAW from GH 1 is not the same as G1. SilkPix program is delvierd with GH1 an it can handel GH1 RAW2 but the result is not up to limit of the sensor
Last day the program "RAW Developer" (Mac) get they new revision out with support för GH 1 comparing the result gives a striking result in favour for RAW Developer.
Lightroom and Aperture don´t coop with RAW2 by some strange princepel reason??
 
Ok thanks a lot to all, I suppose I'll go for Lightroom then (downloaded "RAW Developer" and looks ok but eprsonally I feel 125 bucks is quite a lot for such an "isolated" app - thanx for the info all the same!) :-)
 
I gave Silkypics a shot...meh.
nothing special. and it runs rather slow on all my machines.

since im still running CS3 I can't update to the proper RAW support for PS & the GH1.
so right now im using Adobe's DNG Converter 5.4 I used to use this with my Canon G10
files, and it works great as always. no Dynamic Range loss, and PS does a better job with
the DNG files than Silkypics does with RW2 files.
 
Back
Top