Rain cover for the FS700

Colinelves

Well-known member
Hi guys & gals,

What brands / models of rain cover are people using to protect their cameras? From what I can tell no-one (other than CamRade, who don't seem to be shipping yet) have actually made covers specifically for the FS700. So I'm wondering if anyone has tried a generic - and if so, how that works.

Thanks,

Colin Elves
Director of Photography, Steadicam Op,
London
www.colinelves.com
 
I know this is not a final solution, but it works very well. Just a clear plastic heavy duty bag, it can be customized to any camera 2-3 fit in a pocket for instant deployment anywhere, great for dusty conditions as well. I also often use an umbrella on the sticks, I have a special bracket for this, real nice in the hot sun as well.

Soon there will probably be a 700 rig available but in the mean time...

As a matter of fact I use this solution a lot when shooting in boats with a stedicam it is really a practical solution, rubber bands keep it from blowing in the breeze.
 
At the moment I have a cover for my rucksack that fits over the camera, but it's not an ideal solution. I don't think I've got any of the heavy duty transparent bags left from my assisting days - but I'll see if I can dig one up before my next shoot. But long term I'd like to buy a cover. If for no other reason than I also hire it out...

Colin Elves
Director of Photography, Steadicam Op,
London
www.colinelves.com
 
I have been waiting and looking also for a proper rain, snow, water cover for my fs700!
 
Colin;

I have a Kata CP14 - or something like that.... my FS100 has a BMD recorder and Swit Batt system on the back, so it's a fair bit longer than a standard FS.. we were shooting in Monmarte today, thunder/lightning/hail/torrential rain... still made our day, and the camera & recorder was dry throughout.. i use a shower cap on the EVF with a hold poked through for the cabelage;

cam raincover 1.jpgcam raincover 2.jpgcam raincover 3.jpg
 
Thanks Dermot, I was actually thinking about getting the Kata CRC-15, it's a bit bigger than the 14, which I figured might allow more room for all the accessories you can plonk on the 700
 
Looking at the tag on Dermot's cover (first picture), it seems to say "CRC-15 PL". Maybe Dermot could confirm...?
 
If you're adding a Viewfinder on, the CRC-12 might be a better fit, It's for an EX3 type of camera, should fit the FS700, In lieu of the CamRade being unavailable that's probably our best bet (with a Viewfinder)
 
Been away for a while but thought I would throw my two cents in. I have been carrying ZipLock brand Big Bags in my kit for years. They are thicker that average plastic bags, seal somewhat air and dust tight and come in several size at your local WalMart or wherever.. I like them because you can protect your camera, re use it.
http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/BigBags.aspx
 
yup, sharp eyes there!

it's a CRC-15 PL, just fits from MB to Batt, had another huge downpour today, camera stayed dry, and i kept shooting
 
Hi,

CRC-12 works as well as CRC-15 it seems with evf coverage as well.

At their price compared to something specific, I'd be tempted to get a 15 only if I was going to operate with extras on the back, or get one of each.

After reading this thread and others, (and checking there is still nothing but a link to camrade with no details of it to be seen), thought I would order and try the CRC-12 for my FS700. I hoped to gain coverage for my alphatron evf (without resorting to the shower cap :) ) as well as more clear visibility on the left side of the controls. It seems to me they both fit and have tradeoffs. The CRC-15 seems to be longer and has a uniform tail end, no evf sleeve, possibly more streamlined. The CRC-12 has a drop down back more suitable for the EX3 (and DSLR), which is unneeded, but means there is more clear pvc on the left side and an evf sleeve.

I've put it on and pulled a few things off and on, and rearranged viewfinders, and it seems to fit pretty well for something that is universal. I've not shot with it yet (nice weather down under at moment), nor have I checked coverage with a matte box and rails, nor tried it handheld (still debating my handheld setup). It looks like it will be fine, but no guarantee.

I did put my 70-400mm sony with adapter on it to test the length (as well as stock lens), and it covered to just over the hood, with only a little slack at the back.

I've had the viewing tube off the back, pointing out to the left (which is only useful at eye level as you then cannot tilt up). I can arrange the pvc to see the lcd folded to be viewed from the back, the left at the back, and folder over to look down from the top, all good.

EVF off the left side with a Noga arm fits in the sleeve nicely (going to get something more solid off the handle soon) and there is enough movement to have it at the front like shoulder mount, out to the left, or towards the back.

This will do until (IF) something comes out. Be interesting with the new sony models, the fs700 really has to carefully keep its place amongst the newbies. Maybe its not long for sale as the F5 drops in price with more competition. Slightly different body shape, and maybe thus no rain jackets :(

The only other one I got close to considering was a portabrace rain slicker for the FS100. I emailed them asking if it fit the FS700, (concerned about access to ND filter wheel) and/or if they were developing something…. No answer…

http://www.portabrace.com/products/camcorder-cases/cine-style-cameras/686

or the petrol Pr410 might fit, and if I am looking at it correctly might have a zip-down front where a zoom lens that extends might function underneath some shelter unhindered. If I had a complaint about the use of the crc-12 on the fs700, if you are using a extending zoom lens, its difficult to zoom quietly. I don't plan on doing any zooming during shots. If I did and was always shooting in weather, I'd wait and use the 2x digital crop zoom of the lens coming out, or maybe the petrol case.

http://derrannl.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/raincover-for-nex-fs100-review.html

Here is some pics, stock lens, 70-400 sony amount (with adapter), lens tube on/off, alphatron evf on/off (you can tuck the evf sleeve and poke it in when not using).

IMG_0466.jpgIMG_0468.jpgIMG_0470.jpgIMG_0474.jpgIMG_0479.jpgIMG_0482.jpgIMG_0485.jpgIMG_0494.jpgIMG_0496.jpg
 
I got the CRC-15 PL. Used it once, with just a shortish zoom (the 18-200) and the VF loupe; very pleased, it worked very well and fits neatly.

20130131_211346.jpg20130131_211450.jpg

I'm not actually sure how well it would handle a much longer lens.

Only comment is that I would rig some kind of additional protection for the lens next time... although in the end, in bad enough conditions, the lens will get wet.

My little movie:

 
anyone? I'm shooting tomorrow and it looks like I'm going to clear-garbage-bag it and use gaff tape and do it ghetto styles. I'll also bring an umbrella and try to clamp it to my tripod
 
Back
Top