Questions unanswered.

The fastest standard zoom for Four Thirds is the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8, but autofocus might not work with it when it's used with the Micro Four Thirds adapter. If you want something a little wider, Panasonic makes a 14-50mm F2.8-3.5. But there's nothing faster available for less than $2000. And there's nothing faster and with a greater zoom range than those, at any price.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1137/cat/15

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/lens/dea/products/lens/14_35_20/index.asp

ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm F2.0 SWD

prod_img.jpg
 
I'm surprised that I'm the first person here to point out this problem, and the camera's been out for a week!

Really, the "camera" has been out for months, since last fall. The G1 fans have been going thru the lens issues for quite awhile. I pointed to some relevant threads in my "Adapting lenses to the GH1" thread, but the forum with the big activity for adapting lenses is at www.getdpi.com

My understanding was that there was some technical problem that prevented EF lenses from being adapted and it looked like they couldn't be adapted. This is what I heard from the stills people.

This is the only lens mount I'm aware of where people think that it can't or won't be adapted, but I haven't been paying too close attention because I don't have any EF lenses.

And without an aperture plunger, a lens is just very limited in its usefulness. Hence no demand. It's a vicious circle.

Basically there are two kinds of organizations making adapters. Large companies that are doing it because they want to add value to existing lenses they already make-- this is why Panasonic has an MFT to FT adapter, and also why they are coming out with Leica M and Leica R adapters (basically they're doing that for Leica who is a partner of theirs.)

Then there's guys with machine shops who are designing their own adapters, probably without access to the official MFT spec. These guys are mostly in china, and they are rapidly building up their capabilities to adpat lenses, but this is more the cutting edge and also where you'll be expected to put up with a little bit of lack of fineness in the products.

Now, I don't have any reason to believe that any of these guys-in-garage products are poor quality, quite the opposite. But it will take them time to build up the capability to do the more complex adaptations.

They've been at it for 6 months or so... not sure how long before they'll find a solution to the EF issue, or if they are motivated to do so.
 
Last edited:
Borg makes an EF-mount to u4/3rds adapter. The problem is that it's still pretty cumbersome, obvious it's entirely manual since it has no electrical contacts. Shooting wide-open isn't a problem, but changing the aperture is still very tricky at the moment.


EOS-MicroFourThurds-1.jpg

265443_m.jpg
281379_m-2.jpg
 
Back
Top