Question about HVX and Edius

Well, there are two schools of thought, and neither is a universal - it depends on the situation.

You could set the timeline processing resolution to...
a) The resolution the majority of the footage is natively at. This provides uniformity by up/down-scaling the less-frequent stuff.
b) The resolution of the highest-resolution footage. This ensure no downscaling is done, but probably will result in a lot of upscaling. Too much upscaling will make things look soft.

In the case of mixed 1280x720 and 960x720, I'd process in 1280x720. The JVC stuff look retain its sharpness, and the Panasonic stuff will display "as it should" since it would be upsampled to 1280x720 on 720p output anyway.

Now for delivering to DVD, my personal preference would be to edit in HD, make a HD "finished" output file, then downscale the output to SD for DVD.

The alternative is to have EDIUS downscale everything to SD and edit in an SD project. This takes the guesswork out of "what the viewer will see" and gives you some additional flexibility since your sources are HD (you can zoom/crop without penalty, etc) but you'd have to revisit some stuff on the timeline such if the client asked for a HD version later.

Note that you can switch between project resolutions freely in EDIUS, but you cannot switch between project framerates at this time. Also, switching between resolutions does not interpolate size or positional values, so P-in-Ps, titles and scaled items would also need to be reviewed when switching a project between SD and HD resolutions.

There are many things to consider, for example titles... Titles that look great in HD can turn to utter crap in SD, especially if you forget the guidelines about sizing and serifs. Aspect ratio is another one if you're shooting 16:9 and intend to deliver 4:3 DVD.

I'd try a short project using typical footage and editing style and see which result you prefer better.

Brandon
 
Portergold said:
How are most people attaching the P2 cards to a PC is there an adapter?
For a laptop, you just plug the card in the PCMCIA slot.

For a desktop you normally either use the camera as a card reader, or you can get a dedicated card reader ($2000-ish) or use a P2 Store as a card reader.


I am about to invest in an NX card with HD expansion kit (more expense) and if I decided to go the HVX then will have to look at Edius broadcast as well.
HVX footage works in most editors right now. EDIUS is the one with the best P2 support (excepting only Axio) but keep in mind that EDIUS works brilliantly with JVC 24p HDV footage too.


I deliver to DVD at the moment, but took the plunge to HDV for archival reasons ect (I also wanted to go full 16:9). How does the HVX footage compare to the JVC after burning to DVD, does the colour space have that much of an impact?
After conversion to DVD, both will be very comparable. If you take advantage of variable frame rates etc., those will be things the JVC can't match, but for regular 24p footage that's converted to DVD they'll be quite comparable.
 
I have been out filming all morning and to be honest I am sick and tired of trying to manhandle the HD101 around the place, because I have to do everything myself (including being the talent.... ahhhh do I get sick of looking at myself during the edit:-)) a smaller cam would be much easier to set up especially on hot sweaty days like this morning (and now I just realised I missed a couple of cutaway shots :-().

I had originally thought of the HVX as a second cam instead of something like a Sony Z1 just because it can do 720P, but now I am thinking of stepping out of the HD101 alltogether and aiming things differently, if I look at my investment in the HD101 with firestore, bauer battery ect I could easily have had a decent HVX setup. Probably my main concern with the HVX would be archival, what are people doing to safely store their footage?

JP
 
Barry,

I plan on buying a PCI card that lets me read a single PCMCIA/Card bus II card and it is only $90. What is the difference between this unit and the one you are refering to that is "($2000-ish)"? I have to get an extender for the PCI slot to make it viable for one of the front 5.25" bays but that should cost me another $50. I just want to make sure that I am not wasting my time on this.

Bob
 
The $2000 one is a five-slot reader that connects through USB2 or FW800. The single-slot ones load in the back of the computer. I haven't seen any that actually mount in the front and work; if you find one and successfully use it, please report back and let us know.
 
The only one I know of is from spec-comm. It is the next project they will begin working on after the cineporter. They just mentioned it in a thread the other day. There is no eta or anything like that. Don't quote me, but I believe they said the estimated sale price will be around 450 dollars

Jason
 
Portergold said:
Probably my main concern with the HVX would be archival, what are people doing to safely store their footage?

JP

The P2 is a fusion of the very best of the AV and IT worlds. Archiving is becoming a pure IT problem. People are saving their data (footage) on hard drives, backup-tapes (DAT, LTO, DLT etc.) and/or DVD's. Use search for details.
 
Well guess what my new problem will be? I had to replace my notebook (done under warranty) but the new one comes with an express card slot not a PCMCIA card slot, is there an adapter to go from PCMCIA to an Xpress card?

JP
 
Out of interest, which would be the bigger file, 1 minute of footage at 720P shot with the HVX or 1 minute shot with the HD101 in .m2t then converted in Edius Pro to HQ codec?

JP
 
HQ codec would be bigger because although it's variable bitrate from 100-220 Mbps, the average rate is between 120 and 160 Mbps.
 
Thanks, that is interesting from an edit point of view in Edius. On another note is there an upgrade path from Edius Pro4 to broadcast, as I am about to invest in an NX card with the HD expansion kit.

JP
 
There is one from Pro to Broadcast. But I think you cannot buy NX without the software. I am in a similar boat. I have broadcast, but seem to have to buy Pro with the NX board again and sell that license via ebay after :(.
 
alpi69 said:
There is one from Pro to Broadcast. But I think you cannot buy NX without the software. I am in a similar boat. I have broadcast, but seem to have to buy Pro with the NX board again and sell that license via ebay after :(.
Videoguys sold me the NX + HD expansion Hardware and software (Broadcast) for about $2K. That was about a $500 bump for Broadcast, but didn't need to pay for both SW applications.
 
Back
Top