quality with the dvx

Robbie Comeau

Como's back. back again
when i have my camera zoomed in or up close, it's great quality, but when my subject is far away, its not as great quality. My detail level is -5 cuz im filming a movie, cud this be why? thanks!!

edit- i dont wanna start a new thread, but audio.......i get this fuzzy kinda sound when i film outside. i mean i filmed my friend talk and the quality was great, but i was outside, and when i watch the footage, i can hear noises in the bckground, i guess its "noise"
what shud the settings primarliy be on the camera, right now im using the defult.

thanks guys
 
I strongly suggest buying th DVX Book (and it should come with a DVD that will show you lots of helpful things). There is somebody selling one in the Marketplace for $30 - super good deal!

It is much more valuable than an LCD monitor or other add-ons to your camera. You will find it jam packed with answers to so many of your questions.
 
when i have my camera zoomed in or up close, it's great quality, but when my subject is far away, its not as great quality. My detail level is -5 cuz im filming a movie, cud this be why? thanks!!

It's perceptual. When you are zoomed in or close, you are seeing lots more detail, because the subject is filling the frame. When you are zoomed out or far away, the quality doesn't change.

This is a fundamental principle or SD DV, there isn't a lot of resolution, so it's better to stick with closer framings. The low resolution really shows on wide shots.

Step up to HD if you want better quality.

Granted, you could change the detail setting for close ups versus wide shots, but generally you should just find a look you like and stick with it.

edit- i dont wanna start a new thread, but audio.......i get this fuzzy kinda sound when i film outside. i mean i filmed my friend talk and the quality was great, but i was outside, and when i watch the footage, i can hear noises in the bckground, i guess its "noise"
what shud the settings primarliy be on the camera, right now im using the defult.

Subtle wind noise and background noise from being outside, maybe? Put a wind screen on the mic, and make sure people speak up. Get a boom mic instead. or an on-camera shotgun mic.
 
Joshua,
I see a big difference with the 35mm adapter and the dvx dv resolution. Is that because of the larger FOV?
I've watched lots of footage now, and I swear I see a big difference.
In other words perceptual again?
 
Last edited:
Joshua,
I see a big difference with the 35mm adapter and the dvx dv resolution. Is that because of the larger FOV?
I've watched lots of footage now, and I swear I see a big difference.
In other words perceptual again?

Not sure if you are saying you think it looks better or worse with the 35mm adaptor attached...
 
yes, I mean better, Ive seen some fottage I thought I was watching HD

I wouldn't go that far. I think that the 35mm adaptors create more depth of field as well as add alittle noise that you normally associate with film, but they actually loose sharpness in the process.....
 
I wouldn't go that far. I think that the 35mm adaptors create more depth of field as well as add alittle noise that you normally associate with film, but they actually loose sharpness in the process.....

The whole point of 35mm adapters is for a shallow depth of field not more. Also, each of the different adapters handle light differently and give a different feel to the image.
 
Back
Top