Premiere Pro 2.0?

Sirius_Doggy

Veteran
I see Adobe is getting ready to release Photoshop CS2 pretty soon. How long till they bend us over for the next Premeire upgrade? Anyone heard any rumors?
 
It better be a good upgrade because I've been always a Premiere guy ever since I first got into NLE. If they don't get their sh*t together then I'm definetly moving to Vegas.
 
I'm with you Bluespider. I have licensed versions of Premiere back to 6.0 and I'm really disappointed with two things: the 24p bug and the lack of A/B. I've gotten my head around the A/B thing with overlapping the clips and dropping transitions between, but I feel like the program is taking too much control.

Justin
www.beyondtimemedia.com
 
If Premiere didn't have a good upgrade, I was thinking of moving to Avid. Why do you guys think Vegas is better.
 
I have tested a lot of products - and while Avid offers a lot, It currently (4.6 Pro) won't work with my professional audio card because Avid does not support AISO??? Isn't that unbeliveable! They technically don't support the Mbox or any other digidesign hardware - HA! The suggested that I use my on board audio card (which doesnt exist on my motherboard). Vegas is cool but I like the way Premiere is layed out and vegas doesn't support a lot of real time hardware like the matrox x.100. My only gripe with premiere is conforming audio - which is better in the long run but it takes up a lot of space when you have multiple timelines and a lot of footage. 1.5.1 with the matrox x.100 is a great setup for me. I didn't like the non A/B editing until I got used to PPro - which is just like the way that avid places transitions.
 
what!.. youve got to be kidding. ..well actually .. you dont.. just that IMHO 1.5 does alot better with keying.


anyway , one of the BIG factors we have for Adboe taking 24p more seriously , is that now virtually all the new pro cameras are coming out with it.. its not just super high end and the DVX anymore.. before it was like they thought they were bending over backwards to accomodate just the DVX, now theres going to be ALOT of cameras with it .. and that should make them get their heads out of the sand saying that its just a passing fad or trivial thing. its time they took it serioulsy.. and i think that next time around they will.
 
I have never been able to get a good key in Ppro. I have tried but I always give up and go to 6.5. I just purchased serious magic Visual Communicator to do my blue screen now.
 
I always key in After Effects. I can't get good keys straight from Premiere either. It may be that my green screen setups suck (a distinct possibility) though.

I'm hoping they come out with a v2 at NAB. There are a lot of things which need to be fixed. Once they are though, I'll be quite happy. I really like the interface and I enjoy the similarities to photoshop.

I've thought about changing NLE's but I can't find one that I really like. The Vegas interface just doesn't do it for me (just used to Premiere I guess), Pinnacle doesn't have 24p support yet (well it can't remove pulldown - it can edit a 24p stream), Avid doesn't have some features I enjoy. The only real option for me would be to move to FCP but since I don't have a mac I've held off on that one. Still if Adobe doesn't get Premiere fixed, as much as I like Premiere, I'm outta here.
 
ive had pretty good results with PPRO. but i also turn to AE and Keylight for more demanding keys.

..well see what adobe has to offer soon.. hopefully theve taken whatever it is out of their behind, and replaced it with something up thier sleeve.


..ok so thats a bit harsh, but im so tired of their non customer oriented attitude.. sort of just "take what we give you" ..were too big for our britches sort of thing.
 
iamloser said:
..were too big for our britches sort of thing.

I thought you said bitches for a second there.


I usually do all my keying and advanced editing in AE. I sometimes use Commotion 3.1 for rotowork which I try to avoid most of the time.

Cuts and dissovles are the only thing I use Premiere for. I forgot to add color correction too.
 
Adobe was conspicuously missing from all the HVX frenzy. Anybody know if they're going to support the HVX and DVCPRO HD ? (I can't seem to access their press releases). FCP is looking better by the minute. I hate to say that because I've never owned a Mac before.
 
Interesting. Are you saying Adobe wasn't set up today? That's odd. Anyone know more about this and a possible 2.0 release?
 
Adobe was set up, but wasn't on the list of NLE partners that Panasonic rattled off about their HDVX200. Also Adobe's booth was weak and unimpressive this year. No news about any new video software. Mostly talk about Dust to Glory, and only a little about their new Creative Suite. It was pretty sorry. Actually, Adobe partners Microsoft, Matrox, HP, and Black Magic Design had better displays of Premiere Pro.
 
I was able to access the press releases on the Adobe website today. They only had 2 releases for NAB. One was concerning an open HD standard, and the other was about how some company used Premiere to make commercials for Discovery HD channel. Pretty lame.

HVX won't be out for at least 6 months, so let's see what Adobe comes up with. Doesn't look promising so far.
 
BLUESPIDER said:
It better be a good upgrade because I've been always a Premiere guy ever since I first got into NLE. If they don't get their sh*t together then I'm definetly moving to Vegas.

I've was taking a look at Vegas myself but read some startling info in a recent speed test. The article was in April's "EventDV" magazine
http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=9762
http://www.eventdv.net/articles/readarticle.aspx?articleid=9786
and they compared Liquid, Premier Pro, and Vegas. In the processor speed test, Vegas was massively slower than the other two.

If I'm reading this right and there's any credibility to this article, I'll be looking for another NLE.
 
thanks for the link on that article it was interesting.

i found some other interesting stuff on that site as well.

there is very little in the way of truly accurate testing on the hardware/software we use.

i've always been a huge advocate of dual processor machines and such.

matthew
 
If Adobe doesn't get their act together by the time the HVX gets released, I'm switchin to Avid Xpress for my hackjobs. Just not a fan of Macs or Vegas.
 
I would have to agree with ProjX. I too am giving a serious look at Avid, but would prefer to stay with Premier Pro if they support the HVX.
 
I will phrase this better later, but I just got back from NAB (took a lil vacation too). I spoke with Adobe, they were not able to give me any details about when a 24p fix would be implemented, but they did say to me "its not ready for broadcast"... yeah, no kidding.

I also got little sound bites such as that they did not expect Premiere Pro to do as well as it has (little faith in their own product), and one person I spoke with asked the Sr. Product Manager for Premiere if he knew about the 24p problem, and the guy shook his head as if he had no idea what we were talking about. It gave me little hope.

Another Adobe person was talking to me about waiting to see what they have planned, but it seemed more like marketing bs than actual fact... especially cuzz he could not tell me anything specific.

And to stab the knife, Apple was on their game, and their new production suite looks awesome... especially the integration of FCP and Soundtrack Pro. You can open an FCP session in Soundtrack, see your cut in a video window, and all your audio is laid out track for track in a multitrack environment. You can do looping, add fx and music, sweeten the dialogue tracks, etc. It was exactly what I wish Ppro was going to do with Audition, but it doesn't nor did it seem to be in the pipeline when i spoke with the Adobe people demoing Audition.

And of course FCP already works with dvcpro and p2 natively.

I thought I would never buy a Mac, but that may change in May. I don't mean to slam my equipment as crap, but when I cannot even edit a project because certain features (24p) in PPro actually hinder it from working at all, that's a different story.
 
Back
Top