Premiere CS6 (windows): Need to encode to ProRes. Plugin?

I have Miraizon ProRes plugin for my windows computer, running Premiere CS6, but we needed some fix up work done, so we sent it off to another editor. He now needs the same plugin, but alas, it appears that Miraizon is a company no more, so I can't seem to get my serial number from them to transfer over to him to use. Do you guys recommend anyone else to get a plugin from that would do the same thing? Need to encode ProRes 4:4:4:4

as always,
thank you all so much!
-Jason
 
I wonder if this is a result of their violating Apple's patents, as they're never released ProRes encoding for Windows, which means Miraizon likely reverse engineered it.

In any event, the best production codec is one that:

1. Can both read and write files on Windows
2. without using QuickTime
3. for free.

Sinnce ProRes fails on all three fronts, it makes a horrible production codec.

DNxHD passes on all three fronts, support for which is built into PP. Maybe give that a try instead.
 
I believe both MPC-HC and VLC can play ProRes on Windows. And I've never had any issues with reading it on Windows. I believe there's a plugin called PLIN that can export it. Otherwise, a more roundabout way would be to export an uncompressed intermediate and then transcode to ProRes with FFmpeg.
 
If you need a conversion tool to ProRes try ClipToolz. It is funky and limited in certain ways but quite useful if it fits your ProRes requirements.

http://hdcinematics.com/convert-V2.html

The disappearance of Miraizon was odd, very odd. Looks like someone bought their intellectual property. I would hazard a guess it was the Cinec people or Apple.

Just before Miraizon shuttered themselves they released a cheap update that activated ALL the cores on the host CPU that made it insanely fast. A month later they shut their doors.

Cinec wants A LOT of money for their version that utilizes most of the cores on the host CPU and offers a reasonable range of encoding types. PLIN is a new product from the Cinec people,. released a couple of months after Miraizon closed down. It is cheaper than the original Cinec but it still is expensive given it's functionality and it is largely built off of the open source of code projects mentioned below. And please note the cheapest version of PLIN or Cinec only uses 1 core on your computer so it will be doggedly slow and I do mean slow.

FFmpeg and FFmbc are the two open source encoding projects that are the basis of all the ersatz ProRes encoding options on Windows (and other platforms).

If you do some digging through google you can probably find a script that will do the ProRes encoding you want with FFmpeg but you will have to spend some time on it and be willing to put in the time to get it up and running. First I would start with ClipToolz which is much easier than creating a batch script with a text editior.

For those wanting to explore FFmpeg and so on here are a couple of links to get you started.

This one is from a coder looking into ProRes encoding shortly after ProRes encoding was rolled into FFmpeg:

https://transcoding.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/prores-ffmpeg/

Here is a google search to scratch the surface:

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourcei...=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ffmpeg script for prores
 
Last edited:
Sooo... the only way of exporting to ProRes directly from Premiere Pro on Windows is using the Cinec PLIN plugin? http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/plin/

Does it work well? I'm willing to pay the E$150 for the Pro version for faster speeds, but is it effective? Or is it buggy and crashes?

I understand that ClipToolz Convert V2 is free, but that requires me to export from Premiere in a different format and then convert it to ProRes afterward, right? http://hdcinematics.com/convert-V2.html

I just made the move to windows, but I need to be able to encode in ProRes on occasion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
FWIW: My Premiere CS6 on Windows would not accept DNxHD without me downloading and installing the codec (free).
Maybe Premiere CC runs it natively now...

Until this thread I always heard that Windows encoding to ProRes was "Fuggetaboutit" due to Apple not granting the license.

I'll see what I can find out about the quality of Cinec PLIN.
 
From a user at Mograph.net RE: the Cinec PLIN plugin on July of 2014 -

"I've been using this for a bit, and the only caveat is that there are color-shifts when transcoding to ProRes from some codecs. Going from Animation->ProRes works like a charm (but is only 8bit I believe), but Cineform->ProRes has a noticeable shift if you side-by-side them, for example.

That, and ProRes4444 doesn't support alphas."
 
From May 10th 2014 from a user at Creativecow.net:

"
I have tried out Cinemartin Cinec Plin (http://www.cinemartin.com/cinec/plin/) on my Windows 8.1 computer, a brand new plugin for Premiere Pro, and I have to say, it works like a treat for encoding to any broadcast quality format, among which all 'flavours' of ProRes 422. With the plugin installed (just read through the short manual on how to do that), from within Premiere Pro you can just select the timeline, goto File --> Export, and select the Cinemartin Cinec Plin. You then get to see the plugin in which you can set the ProRes 422 settings, the frame rate, and the aspect ratio. Once you've done that, you click Encode and the encoding begins. That's all there is to it :-)"
 
And from the Cinec Home Page:

"Cinec 4.0 is the only converter supporting resolutions up to 8K, and this new version now add features that most professionals demand, including a video scaler up to 8K (SD -> 720, 720 -> 1080, 1080 -> 4K, 4K -> 1080, 4K -> 6K -> 8K ..), H265 at 8 or 10Bit up to 8K, the new Google's VP9 codec, all Prores variants (with a future Prores XQ upgrade), Custom text and logos overlays, custom presets, LUT s and more."

So the newest version is indeed 10-bit and does all sorts of other nifty stuff like VP9.

It seems this is the ONLY game in town for working directly inside Premiere on Windows.

Good thing is I can't find anybody saying it doesn't work as advertised.
 
Last edited:
You can still find Miraizon on the dark web.....

If anyone has problems getting ProRes files to run properly on Windows in fx. Premiere Pro or need to export ProRes, I found a way.

- Install Quicktime Pro 7
- Install Miraizon
- Make sure that Adobe QT32.exe has clearence to go through the firewall
- Fire up Quicktime Pro and have it running in the background (this is needed for some reason, if I don't have it running, ProRes wont playback in Premiere....)
- Start Premiere Pro....
- Profit.
 
Back
Top