Predictions about the impact of AI-generated imagery

This is motion capture (MoCap). The results are impressive ... depending upon cost and time involved.

It certainly seems like technology will create some buggy whips around here. No way to tell right now what will arise but as CPUs & GPUs get more powerful, the more the AI/CG route is accessible to lower budgets. I guess we need to start learning about the Unreal Engine...

By the time it's fully adapted and a modern standard, most of us will be retired or just about.

MoCap -

PS (and I don't mean PlayStation), the PS5 version of the Last of Us that has just come out cost (likely) about $100M (and six years) to produce but it's also capable of 15 hours of playing time and its images are in 4K. Action/movement are still "video game'ish" but the dramatic interludes are pretty close to photo realism. Now, if I knew cost breakdowns ...

Sacred is a tough word. One can find enjoyment with the original painting and one can also find enjoyment with the new expanded creation. What is the base reason for the artwork? To be in awe of the artist or just enjoy the output? My contention is that newer generations are more in the latter camp which will drive the transformation.

100% Bassman, and that's the way it's going to be.

It's just history repeating itself, but it's always a bit of a shock and perhaps a confusing time for the ones growing older.

Humans manually creating images, video, art for anything but as an enjoyable hobby is a complete waste of time & resources in a future world.

That could be said for a lot of things which technology replaced or changed...but if normal Joes and Janes built empires on social media branding themselves with their phones then there's also a lot to be said about that aforementioned wisdom, talent, focus as well...

I would be more bitter if I was a world-class brain surgeon who spent a lot of money over the course of 15 years to be in various buildings learning and saving/healing people who would eventually be replaced by a machine.

Not many will deny how wonderful and beautiful painting is until they have to pay for it with their own money.

Many who can WILL - if only to support it - but how many don't...won't.

No, nothing is sacred. So much of this is about fashion, though. Like, why is music from 75 years ago considered oldies and the only people who listen to it are its contemporaries? But music from 300 years ago is called classical and has a robust ecosystem of orchestras and wealthy patrons.

There are so many things I meant to write in response to so many of these posts

But for now I'll just say I see 2 domains that won't be adversely impacted: documentaries, and producers in general. My wife and I like nature films. Why the hell would I want to watch a cgi nature film? I wouldn't. No matter how pretty it is. The point is that it's real.

And regarding producers/directors -- there will still be somebody feeding prompts to the machine and curating the output. Their gain is our loss. Editors may also be needed, although the role could change based on what is required for working with the AI.

One thing I'm very interested on is seeing how good fake humans can become. Human beings are absolutely remarkable at interpreting other humans and we're not easily fooled. Human emotion is our most fundamental signal input. The fake human in the video I referenced in the original post didn't fool me at all, and presumably they took care to make it as perfect as possible since it was their ad. It would be great for an airplane safety video but nothing much more emotionally complicated than that. The need for motion capture just underscores how difficult it is to escape the uncanny valley. A lot of commercials I see are wholly reliant on memorable facial expressions. The key role of an actor is not just to execute expressions but to decide how and when to react in which way

Not many will deny how wonderful and beautiful painting is until they have to pay for it with their own money.

Many who can WILL - if only to support it - but how many don't...won't.

The value of blue chip paintings is only tenuously related to their intrinsic beauty. And if anything, I see an explosion of cgi art supercharging the value of man-made art made famous in a time when humans still knew how to do it themselves. It's all about scarcity and ownership

That's just your heart speaking and I get it because this is your livelihood and you don't strike me as a gentleman who could put on a suit and shave his beard to go work in an office (I believe you also said something similar once) - but, no, it won't; at least not 200+ years from now because no one will be living to really appreciate man-made art because they won't know what that is besides from historical anecdotes.

AI art will be as common as the phones and the apps we use today. It will be a part of normal everyday life.

I didn't say they would still need to hire me to market their stuff. But everything I know about the fine art and collectibles market tells me that its value will maintain or increase

we are in the perfect time for that right now, but that can't and won't sustain itself forever - at some point, there is no value in it anymore, it's forgotten

Hahaha. Yeah, like those Greek statues of gods. Nobody values them anymore since we no longer worship those deities or carve marble. I'm sure you can pick up a 2000-year old statue for $5

The value of a lot of these items has to do with preventing other people from having them. Keeping them to yourself. And, as elitists, separating yourself from the boorish boobs who don't appreciate them

yah, that's just now for this level of intelligence for our current humanity (you being a prime example of how you're thinking about it all. lol)

once you start critically-thinking about it, you might be able to muster up some brain power to realize that future humans will live and process differently and will not be bothered with simpleton statues and paintings and other archaic wastes

Back