PQ vs. MQ vs. AMQ

DivotDan

Veteran
Since I got my 100A just over 3 years ago, I've been running MQ tapes. Well I just got 5 boxes of AMQ tapes for a hell-uva deal (thanks you DVXUser Market Place) and wanted to make sure there would be no issue switching between MQ and AMQ tapes going forward. I still have a bunch of MQ's laying around.

Figured while I was here I'd see if anyone wanted to mention if PQ tapes would melt my camera or something. Are they ok to use from time to time?

I just want to do whats best for the camera. Thanks
 
I read a lot about this before posting and saw a lot of different options from people. I saw a number of people like you Matt that said they always use PQ tapes with no issues.

I guess the question I should have asked was if Panasonic has ever released anything official about switching between these tapes in their camera. They all appear to be Dry Lube and from all I read the denotation mostly has to do with the durability of each tape. So I was wondering what the official stance was.

And now that I'm thinking about it, do we suspect that one tape will capture data better than another? My guess is no but thought I'd throw it out there.
 
yes its been discussed here a lot.the way i look at it is if you do a lot of editing from tape / tape shuttling etc. then the AMQs are your best bet thats what they are made for and yes i do beleive they may be better at not having any drop outs but for me i basically shoot a tape dump the whole thing into my mac and bascially put the tape away and more than likely never touch it again :)

there shouldnt be any issue switching from different Panasonic tapes either as i have done that with no problems.
 
all panasonic tapes use the same type of lube so there won't be any problem. there would be a problem if you switched from one brand to another however.
 
Back
Top