POLL: How much will Red cost?

POLL: How much will Red cost?

  • under $10,000

    Votes: 48 32.0%
  • under $20,000

    Votes: 45 30.0%
  • $20,000-$45,000

    Votes: 29 19.3%
  • $50,000-$100000

    Votes: 28 18.7%

  • Total voters
    150
I imagine they chose 4k because a) They thought it was possible, b) It's a VERY big leap over what's currently available and c) It's where the high-end digital-intermediate market is (though there are already moves into 6k for DI).
 
I'm sure that Red with be around the price of this...



check this out:
http://www.siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/


From their web site's FAQ:

I can't afford a complete cinema package at this time. Can I purchase the remote SI-1920HD-GE camera head and software and use my own PC hardware for recording?

Yes. The pricing for a camera head system, which includes the SI-1920HD-GE camera head, a copy of Prospect HD Edit, Premiere Pro 2.0, a Arri-base-plate adapter, and two Fujinon c-mount lenses will retail for $12,500. Please contact us for certified systems for recording.
 
That is a 2/3" 1080p camera... and for $12,500 you have no way to record your footage. Still a great price but I suspect RED will come it at quite a bit more...


ash =o)
 
Yes.. all these solutions dont come near the capability of Red, but its good to see other companies at least trying to play the game.
 
This Silicon Image thing is very close to what we were working with a few years ago.. trying to make high speed industrial cameras and force them into cinematic environments (check www.purposelabs.com )​


... its the same boat... we used a very similar camera. And man was a pain in the ass..... ​


No HD-SDI or anything other than Ethernet (which, mind you was kinda cool, and we liked it) meant we didnt really have very many preview options And the recording options where even more limited. It just was like trying to paint a horse with stripes. It worked, just took us alot of effort to make it work.

The fact that the 1920 resolution is from a bayer sensor worries me. It has to go through a process of demosaicing to extract the colors, in which corners of pixels get lobbed off and some odd artifacts can start to happen. Long story short.. the true resolution of a bayer sensor is about 25% less than it is stated. Most likely why all the demo footage is 720p, but who knows. I expect it to perform much like the Sony XD camera.

I guess we only have a week to wait and see. I have a feeling though if the SI is anywhere near the Red booth that poor little camera is gonna be very, very sad. Kinda like the fat kid with the 80s haircut singing songs 3 years old.
 
Last edited:
well

well

here's hoping that it's kick ass, does what people want, and (unlike the kinetta) actually hits the market.

I'm seriously considering an HVX package, but I do have this nagging feeling that we're in a transition period, and I'd be paying for a bunch of tape transport for an HVX that would just never be used. maybe I should just shoot s16 and scan :P

Funny - I also think cars are in a similar transition, though on a larger time scale... we'll see what happens with hybrids when there is low sulpher diesel in the US...

and, for your amusement:

http://redrockmicro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025

hey, with enough grip tape you could probably build a camera out of k-nex. it would certainly get you lots of WTF? looks on the street :)

... last time I was at NAB I saw the infamous blue screen of death displayed 50' x 50' on the exterior screen of the MGM grand. I laughed so hard I nearly blew sprite out my nose.

:beer:
 
Jarred Land said:
This Silicon Image thing is very close to what we were working with a few years ago.. trying to make high speed industrial cameras and force them into cinematic environments (check www.purposelabs.com )​




... its the same boat... we used a very similar camera. And man was a pain in the ass..... ​



No HD-SDI or anything other than Ethernet (which, mind you was kinda cool, and we liked it) meant we didnt really have very many preview options And the recording options where even more limited. It just was like trying to paint a horse with stripes. It worked, just took us alot of effort to make it work.

The fact that the 1920 resolution is from a bayer sensor worries me. It has to go through a process of demosaicing to extract the colors, in which corners of pixels get lobbed off and some odd artifacts can start to happen. Long story short.. the true resolution of a bayer sensor is about 25% less than it is stated. Most likely why all the demo footage is 720p, but who knows. I expect it to perform much like the Sony XD camera.

I guess we only have a week to wait and see. I have a feeling though if the SI is anywhere near the Red booth that poor little camera is gonna be very, very sad. Kinda like the fat kid with the 80s haircut singing songs 3 years old.

Jarred,
Does the SI camera use the EXACT same chip as in the "purpose labs" camera you used to shoot that footage - cause man, I must say what I have watched thus far of the purpose lab stuff has been very impressive - the 500fps water thing is just gorgeous. (p.s I realize that the SI camera can't do 500 fps)
 
no.. our camera was a $60,000 high speed camera with a real sensor that could shoot 5000fps, not just 500fps....but was an industrial camera like the SI and had the same workflow and a similar design.

Thanks for liking my footage though.. it was alot fun making it.
 
Back
Top