Photos from the "old days"

Never in 10-12 years (back in the 90s/early 00s) have I seen loafs wrapped.

Sometimes we used to wait outside the factory and get it straight out of the oven, burning hot.

Thinking about it more, they would always wrap the keilbasas/other meats but never the breads which went straight into the [likely] dirty bags - microscopically, at least - you brought for all of your groceries.

Never in 10-12 years (back in the 90s/early 00s) have I seen loafs wrapped.

https://ptoday.ru/wp-content/uploads...d7-678x381.jpg

It was fairly common for the "housewives" to sear bread, as quickly as it was delivered home, to get rid of any unwanted particles or bacteria. But we rarely ate toasted. Back in mid-late 70's, Soviet supermarkets usually had either metal tongs or special wrapping paper for picking these bread loaves up from their shelves... and one could often buy half-loaves too ...

PS. we liked the Soviet bread. When we discovered a US made atrocity called Wonder Bread, we were in shock.

post_5cf12db825dd7-678x381.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	post_5cf12db825dd7-678x381.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.3 KB ID:	5702650

+1

Where do you find those so compelling portraits of that part of the history of all of us?

I belong to a Russian language (some post in Ukrainian) history related page on Facebook called (roughly translated) - "I disliked it in the USSR". The nation ceased to exist at the end of 1991 but many older folks still have solid memories about that era. I left (with my parents) before even turning 17 in 1978. But there are a bunch of group members who stayed there until their 40s and 50s and are currently spread all over the world. Some are in Scandinavia, some in Israel, some in the US (I met an ex-classmate of mine, who's been living in the US since the early 2000's and I didn't even remember her ... she began to mention our other classmates and I thought, "wait a minute, if she remembers them, she was in the same study group as I." And then I will sometimes listen to the music from the 1970's and they remind me of other things, et cetera, et cetera. And nowadays, a lot of stuff is posted online too. It feels odd going that far back in time but those years are a part of me.

PS. Back in November, 2016, I log on Facebook and see an update from a very casual new friend. And the reminder mentions her being a "long time friend" with a female named Marina (I'll skip on her last name). And I looked at the photo and thought that she was an ex classmate of min too. And so I asked Marina, if she went to a certain school in the 1970's and she said she did.and then I said, "we were in the same study group" and it took her a awhile to remember my name but then she uploaded our old class photos from way back when and, with that, I saw a photo that I had not seen in some 45+ years.... And it's often nice to catch up with those from that era.

I know, I ramble on.

355308300_3659395447637022_8225907078793783691_n.jpg

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...0B2gyn-DgoIVRyMrZazqjvaoWUuPbc5lg&oe=6498852D
Soviet rail construction crew, 1980.

Back