Photos from the "old days"

Sometimes, people brought in a whole week's worth.

ussr-28.jpg


https://kulturologia.ru/files/u18476/ussr-28.jpg
 
An old Soviet joke.

1980 Moscow Olympics. The Track and Field Hammer Throw event. Athletes come up one after another and toss the hammer some 80 meters (260 feet or so) upfield. As the competition is about to declare the winner, some Russkie stiff runs over from his spectator area and tosses the whole thing so far, it even leaves the stadium. Everyone is shocked. The gaggle of journalists rushes towards him. "This is incredible. How did you manage this?" The daily worker replies, "Give me the sickle and I'll toss it completely out of the country".

(Yous gots the punchline, right?)
 
Two more Soviet era jokes. OK, it's really one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. What's the difference between milk and beer?

A. Beer doesn't change color when it leaves the body.


Q What's the difference between the Soviet beer and an authentic Pilsner?

A. Pilsner tastes differently when it leaves the body.
 
what are you talking about? lol

of course it could be served hot, how do you not know that?

It could be, I s'ppose ... but I don't recall it being served hot. Obviously, it's fruits boiled in water but it was generally reserved for summers when fruits were plentiful, and during summers, it was served cold or room temperature.

Now, the remaining summer fruits were turned into the preserves (varenye) and then mixed into a tea or used as a side dish with it.

Or with cheese pancakes. Come to think of it, this looks quite yummy.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qJdpqUHE...tUQ9dACLcBGAs/s1600/Postre+de+Bielorrusia.jpg

Postre%2Bde%2BBielorrusia.jpg
 
Besides my tea, which naturally had like 2-3 spoons of sugar in it - each cup throughout the day - I remember them putting sugar into sour cream for different things; a dipping dish for blueberry pierogis, lettuce mix, pork sauce.

And don't even get me started on butter. :2vrolijk_08:

Tragically unhealthy diets but so many of those people lived until 70-80-90+ years old. The food was very natural, many of them created it themselves.
 
And don't even get me started on butter. :2vrolijk_08:

Once the Soviets figured out how to add chemicals into food manufacturing, they began to so.

As to butter - there's a Russian expression, "кашу маслом не испортишь" (the best translation would be, "can't spoil the hot cereal by adding too much butter"). My grandma made me what is known in the US as grits or cream-of-wheat (once, when I was 5, I was sitting on a tall bar stool while she was cooking it on a hotplate ... my feet were dangling in the air ... I slipped and, in order to support myself, stuck my hand inside the boiling pot ... an emergency trip to the ER was required ... I don't recall the ER but I do recall the incident as if it was happening in slow motion). 55 years later, I got a similar meal at a US hospital. My grandma's was better. With butter.

https://cookeda.com/wp-content/uploa...hoto304388.jpg

manka-photo304388.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	manka-photo304388.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.9 KB ID:	5698950
 
Last edited:
Back
Top