PAL: London at dusk

hcBeck

Active member
I'm shooting in London over the next few days.

A friend who wants to compare the Canon, JVC and Sony cameras asked me to grab some 1080i25.

Shot from a boat on the Thames a few hours ago.

Later in this thread I'll add a preview of some of the 720p25n I shot earlier. As FCP cannot import it, I can only provide a dub down to DV for now.

Alexandre
 
Alex.

Nice to be floating along the Thames and shooting HD. I'm stuck doing the same down-conversion until the new FCP update arrives here in the States.


Congrats on getting the Pal camera. I'm going to be going to back to the UK this summer. Can't wait to shoot some timelapses and such... Do you have any plans to shoot timelapses at trafalga sq and picadilly and all that jazz? Should look amazing and would be cool to compare to the film timelapses that I've seen.


Keep up the shooting and hopefully we'll all be able to edit this stuff soon enough... and i'm so looking forward to some fish and chips... good beer.. and HD stock footage shooting in the UK....
 
Alexandre,

Would it be possible for you to post a few full-size images taken from the sequence you posted -- preferrably uncompressed png or tiff?

Thanks,
Paul
 
Justyn said:
Do you have any plans to shoot timelapses at trafalga sq and picadilly and all that jazz?

Sure, once I get permission...

In central London, if you put a tripod down anywhere, you're likely to get the attention to the local constabulary. They don't allow it unless you get a permit. I suppose you might get to shoot for a few minutes, but as the UK is full of CCTV, the rozzers will want to have a word pretty sharpish!



Alexandre
 
You should probably re-post the PNG's as de-interlaced (de-interlace in Photoshop).

I've found that a lot of times people don't read the specifics; they'll just look at it and say "oh my gosh that's awful" without bothering to see that it's interlaced...
 
hcBeck said:
Sure, once I get permission...

In central London, if you put a tripod down anywhere, you're likely to get the attention to the local constabulary. They don't allow it unless you get a permit. I suppose you might get to shoot for a few minutes, but as the UK is full of CCTV, the rozzers will want to have a word pretty sharpish!



Alexandre


Alex.. that's good to know. It's similar to NY in that respect. That's why I'd be shooting handheld and/or monopod... Also maybe adopting a bad southern accent and pretending to be a tourist there...

Do they have the same kind of permiting rules and crap in Nottingham and other big cities? London was gonna be on the hit list.. How do you go about getting a permit?


Thanks and good luck


j
 
hcBeck, great footage. As a Pal HVX user to be, let me thank you for posting this footage. The time you take continuosly to post these clips and show what this baby can do is much appreciated! Keep'em coming! :)
 
HcBeck,

I had the shooting experience up at Canaray Wharf for a client a few months back.

Me and my producer had booked to shoot with London Underground at 2.00 at Canary Wharf to shoot their escalators and we turned up early. Outside Canary Wharf station we set up a PD170 on a tripod to get some footage which we could speed up and frame blur.

The next minute we had Canary Wharf security, police and Comunity support officers as well as London underground all trying to get a piece of us.

Turns out Canary Wharf was a private estate so we weren't allowed to shoot unless we or our clients were based there. The police just said they had to check us incase we were scouting to bomb something [despite thinking if we was then we wouldn't set up a tripod, but shoot like tourists hand held].

In the end with our London Underground representitve, who was excellent, we shot in and outside the station as technically where we got busted earlier was on London Under ground property as it was the fire assembly point for the station [basically the massive walkway leading to the escalators] and so we got our footage we wanted interior and exterior.

Good luck with the shooting!

Majormorgan
 
Back
Top