P2 apps for offloading - what you using?

Ben Digedig

Well-known member
The bundled Panasonic software doesn't seem to be up to much and has no instructions...

I've been looking at Shot Put Pro or the much cheaper P2 Genie. Would P2 Genie be all that I need to plugin my P2 card to my laptop and offload a card safely whilst I continue shooting? Is it 100% dependable in a set and forget way and then put the empty card back in the cam to re-use on the day?

Guess I could still use the Panasonic viewer too to show clients playback?

I intend using the laptop with an EXT HDD so as I can start editing on Avid via Firewire immediately when back at our studios.

Info or definitive wokflows seem scarce despite many Googles and seemingly many options.:Drogar-Thinking(DBG

Thx

BD

PS - anything that works with 64bit Vista would be pref as I'm 'going there' soon!
 
I use both P2 Genie, and Shotput Pro.

But even with the checks that Shotput provides I always view transferred footage before wiping the card. Maybe 5-6 times since moving to this workflow (3years ago? - man time flies) there have been corrupted clips on the card. These can be fixed with repair clip, but the point is you need to catch this so you can run repair clip in the cam; and none of the offload programs will alert you to the problem.

So the corrupt clip gets transferred, shotput compares what's on the card and the new copy on your HD and says these are exactly the same. Then in auto mode wipes the card- next day in the edit suite, that fantastic shot that made the whole day. Gone!

G.
 
Brilliant insight mate - thanks; really appreciated as I'm a card virgin!

So no point spending more on Shot Put Pro really then?

BD
 
I've been using P2CMS in the field, and using Shotput Pro back at the ranch. Just this week I loaded Shotput Pro onto my laptop for field use as well. Because P2CMS nukes the last clip text file, one client has had trouble with their NLE of choice- thus the addition of Shotput Pro to the laptop.

Heavy G's point about redundancy is a good one, the fact that Shotput Pro doesn't allow you to view clips (unlike P2CMS) has made me a bit nervous.

I may start using P2CMS in viewing mode just to confirm the clips health before the shot put treatment.

I'm on a mac, and it appears P2 Genie for Mac is no longer available. Heavy G , can you recommend any other P2 (cheaper than P2 Log Pro) viewer software ?
 
Last edited:
The laptop I have in the filed has FCP on it. So I look at the clips with that, before wiping the card.
I use the log & xfer window, without actually logging & xfer'ing
 
I use TEP - Bronze, which included shot put pro and lets you do a check prior to trashing your cards. I also only ever trash a card in camera.
 
ShotPutPro in the field with P2CMS for clip chcking. Early adopter of P2Log Pro and that has been was and is great for viewing and managing.

ShotPut Pro has been rock sold since day 1 for me on the macbookpro.

later...
 
Back
Top