Overnight success.

Eric Boellner

Well-known member
Read an interesting piece on the Guardian site today about Kelly Marcel (writer: Saving Mr Banks, 50 Shades of Grey). Most interesting thing about the article was the line:

And so began a decade's worth of overnight success.

That pretty much sums up the life of screenwriters (and actors and everyone else in Hollywood, honestly). The ones you hear about always seem to break onto the scene and suddenly their names are on everything that's in development at the time. But the reality is that in almost every case, they've been busting their asses for years unrecognized, and often uncredited (I didn't know Marcel had done uncredited rewrite work on Bronson - a film I really loved).

I remember in one of his Wordplay columns, Terry Rossio talked about how when he and Ted Elliot decided to become a writing team, they set out to write ten scripts over five years before they would even try to sell one. That was their gameplan: spend years developing their craft before attempting to "break in." The idea always encouraged me when I would get frustrated at not being the wunderkind screenwriter I thought I'd be when I first got into the craft.

Sometimes it's important to remind myself that every year I get older is another year I get better. And there's no such thing as overnight success.

The other interesting thing, to me, was to learn that Marcel, who wrote and sold what would become Terra Nova, was offered $300,000 per episode to write the first 13 episodes of the series. That's almost $4mil. She turned it down. From the article:

She was, she says, just unsure it was what she wanted to write. Spielberg's brainwave that the show should involve dinosaurs didn't help. Instead, she simply sold the idea...

While I've little actual knowledge of Marcel's skills as a writer (I don't know what or how much she contributed to Bronson, and haven't seen any of her other work - honestly, the 50 Shades thing throws some doubt into the mix, but whatever), I thought it was refreshing to see a screenwriter turn down what would have been a career-making job because she didn't trust that the project would turn out well. So she cut her losses, took the check and walked away. Three years later, her career is finally taking off. I know it seems easy in hindsight for someone to have walked away from Terra Nova, but think about it: four million dollars to write a show, based on your own idea, with Steven Spielberg producing. That's a f--king WET DREAM for any writer, especially a writer without a single credit to their name.

I'm not really trying to talk about Marcel here, I'm talking about the ideas underbellying the article: overnight success takes years of hard work, and sometimes it's better to walk away.

I don't know. Food for thought, I guess.
 
Yes. And no. You have to come to terms with the dire fact that at times you may have the wrong timing. That at times you've not met the right people. That at times you tried to push a comedy when the people you'd pushed them to were more interested in crime. And about twelve other things. A not yet established writer is like a complex puzzle-piece in search of the right void to fit in.

So, for me the really important sentence in the article in that respect is:

"Among the suitors was the British producer Alison Owen, who much to Marcel's surprise agreed to let her write the story"

Meaning: Writers are - if they have it - talent-fireworks waiting to get ignited. In the meantime - while waiting for the striking match - they have indeed to try to develop their skills. By writing. Whatever.

Turning down something like that Spielberg-produced series needs two things: Guts, yes. But even more so a dead-sure feeling and/or "putative assessment" about yourself, you abilities and the way your fantasy works. This is really hard because you have no facts at hand to help you in the decision making. Only a sense that maybe, for all the money, you might get trampled by the dinosaurs ..... and maybe will not be really good with a genre ..... and maybe will get fired later on .... or develop the feeling you will get devoured by the Spielbergosaur Rex... ;-)

Have to raise three hats for that lady for not falling in that trap. Because, as I read it: You have to know who you are as a writer.
 
And just having watched the trailer to SAVING MR. BANKS: It's all there. Disney = Spielberg, P.L. Travers = Kelly Marcel. What a great idea of Allison Owens to let Marcel write the script. Daughter of a director who started with wacky SF-Fantasy. Born and raised in Twickenham, probably near and sometimes even in the studios.

She knows this universe. She very probably also knows the daily frustrations coming from being stuck in the world of cardboard-spaceships and wonder swords while hoping one day the one project will appear which makes you ..... and it doesn't come.

She must understand someone who is commercially succesful but also wants to produce art. And often get's stuck in the middle. Like Disney. Like Spielberg. Like her father.

So, yes: No Dinosaurs! Don't feed the T-Rex! Don't get stuck with the Spielbergosaur. Not because you despise him but because he lives in the world you have left.

Great story in itself, btw.
 
Last edited:
A couple of thoughts. Spielberg can be a challenge to work for as a writer(especially on tv). You have to turn jobs down as a writer,actor, director that don't make sense. Sometimes its the material, sometimes the money, sometimes the people involved or time commitment. 300k per episode. 25% to agent and manager, in Cali 50% in taxes (good accountant and a loan out company can reduce that number). I suspect that after the initial episode the money wasn't guaranteed (I'm just guessing and I could be wrong). Sometimes its better to work on more fulfilling jobs (or at least less soul sucking). At a certain point in your life it isn't worth it to work on crap. I was very influenced by the teaching methods of the playwright/screenwriter John Steppling in college. If not familiar with his work he's written with Elmore Leonard (52 pickup), on the tv show Cracker, and the screenplay for "Animal Factory" based on the Eddie Bunker novel. He stopped taking Hollywood assignments (according to his blog) because the money versus time wasn't worth it to him. Hopefully this is only temporary because I enjoy his work.
 
In addition to your movie-making books, your personal library should include titles such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Success-P...664575&sr=8-1&keywords=the+success+principles

http://www.amazon.com/The-Habits-Hi...keywords=7+habits+of+highly+successful+people

this is free and one of the best:

https://archive.org/details/Law_Of_Success_in_16_Lessons


I would stay away from anything too esoteric and new-agey ("The Secret"), but get a handful of business/success literature.

Get a personal journal where you keep your goals written down, your personal "mission statement", etc.... My journal is a big fat binder with hole punched blank paper, I have tabbed sections for notes on screenwriting (I do plot analysis while watching movies), producing, cinematography, and I have a section labeled "business/success". The book is a mixture of ideas for my own work, notes on techniques, etc.

To succeed, there is a "success skill set" you must acquire- persistence, focus, willingness to look foolish to learn from your mistakes, cooperating harmoniously with others, etc.

it will take you years to acquire this skill set but then you will begin to profit from it- your weaknesses will be made glaringly obvious as you work towards this. You can then work on fixing these weaknesses. Mine have always been having trouble finishing things (related to willingness to look foolish), turning others off with arrogance,not letting others talk and teach me things etc etc. You will have your own (if you didnt, you'd be succesful by now).

YOU CAN DO IT

Excelsior!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT7FFVdl-kk
 
Last edited:
A couple of thoughts. Spielberg can be a challenge to work for as a writer(especially on tv). You have to turn jobs down as a writer,actor, director that don't make sense. Sometimes its the material, sometimes the money, sometimes the people involved or time commitment. 300k per episode. 25% to agent and manager, in Cali 50% in taxes (good accountant and a loan out company can reduce that number). I suspect that after the initial episode the money wasn't guaranteed (I'm just guessing and I could be wrong). Sometimes its better to work on more fulfilling jobs (or at least less soul sucking). At a certain point in your life it isn't worth it to work on crap. I was very influenced by the teaching methods of the playwright/screenwriter John Steppling in college. If not familiar with his work he's written with Elmore Leonard (52 pickup), on the tv show Cracker, and the screenplay for "Animal Factory" based on the Eddie Bunker novel. He stopped taking Hollywood assignments (according to his blog) because the money versus time wasn't worth it to him. Hopefully this is only temporary because I enjoy his work.

I agree that there will always be jobs that make sense to turn down, but looking at this one from the onset and not in hindsight (knowing now that the show would flop), this wasn't one of them. At least, not from a business standpoint. The money was great by any standard, regardless of taxes and commissions, and the chance to not only write your own TV show (relatively speaking), but to also work with Spielberg - most writers would kill to even be in a position to say yes, and she was in that position and said no.

I don't think it was a business decision for her at all - not just from what she said, about it not being something she really wanted to write, but because with all the factors involved, the show made sense, with or without the dinosaurs (despite its price tag, most people thought the show would do a lot better than it did).

Still, you make a good point: sometimes writers will leap at the first possible hint of a paycheck or "their own TV show," but while it might look good on the surface, sometimes it's just not worth it.
 
Get a personal journal where you keep your goals written down, your personal "mission statement", etc.... My journal is a big fat binder with hole punched blank paper, I have tabbed sections for notes on screenwriting (I do plot analysis while watching movies), producing, cinematography, and I have a section labeled "business/success". The book is a mixture of ideas for my own work, notes on techniques, etc.

About every six months or so, I sit down and reevaluate where I am in my career, what I've got going for me, what obstacles I'm facing, and write out my thoughts on how to proceed. It's actually about that time of year. Maybe I'll do one for New Year's. :beer:
 
There used to be an annual book called Film Writers Guide that listed *unsold* specs by many pro writers, and it was amazing to see some Oscar nominated (or winning) writer who had written scripts *after they had been nominated* that no one bought. So even after that ten to fifteen years it takes you for your overnight success, there are still going to be rough patches and not all screenplays will work.

Ages ago, I asked Paul Schrader about one of the scripts that had been mentioned in an interview, but never in the trades as a sale. He said they can't all be winners. That opened my mind to the difficulty of this job.

Bill
 
There used to be an annual book called Film Writers Guide that listed *unsold* specs by many pro writers, and it was amazing to see some Oscar nominated (or winning) writer who had written scripts *after they had been nominated* that no one bought. So even after that ten to fifteen years it takes you for your overnight success, there are still going to be rough patches and not all screenplays will work.


Ages ago, I asked Paul Schrader about one of the scripts that had been mentioned in an interview, but never in the trades as a sale. He said they can't all be winners. That opened my mind to the difficulty of this job.


Bill




Would Paul Schrader sell *most* of his scripts?

Or is it a case of even him having to rely on rewrite work?

A guy of his stature, what's his bread and butter? Apart from residuals adding up nicely.
 
Last edited:
For the most part a spec script is just a job application for an assignment of some sort. Most spec scripts do not sell. We are now at 110 sold scripts for the year: https://specscout.com/scogginsreport 0ut of over 40,000 that were followed (and maybe as many as a million that were floating through the system). 7 years ago only 59 sold. Okay, now how many films come out in a given year? 677 last year. A couple hundred from studios. Okay, multiply that by around ten, because for every film that makes it to the screen there are usually nine more screenplays that were developed by the studios or producers that never got made. Most of the writing a screenwriter does is assignments: they are hired by a producer to write something. Might be rewriting another screenplay (my first studio sale to Paramount had a dozen writers work on it after I did my contracted rewrites... one of them had an Oscar... and that film never got made), it might be adapting a board game or magazine article or book the producer owns the rights to (MONOPOLY THE MOTION PICTURE), or scripting a remake or film version of some old TV series (a friend of mine wrote full time for over a decade on dozens of old TV series various studios thought might make good movies... not a single one was made. He got paid). A screenwriter is mostly an employee. You can still write spec scripts on the side, but most of your income will be on some work for hire.

Bill
 
Last edited:
For the most part a spec script is just a job application for an assignment of some sort.

This is really important to not only accept, but to embrace.

I think many writers jump into screenwriting with an exuberant, pie-in-the-sky naiveté, and believe wholeheartedly that our story ideas will be enough to open doors. Over the years hangin' in the forums, I think we have all seen the guy (it's always a guy) who insists he has just finished the best screenplay ever - all 175 pages of it - and can't get why studios aren't pounding his door down, or A-listers shoving handfuls of gratitude down their throats. And just try and critique this 'best screenplay ever'. Many, whether humble or irrationally overconfident, lose that enthusiasm once they realize it's not going to be so easy to sell a spec, let alone see it produced and distributed. It will, in fact, be a hair shy of impossible.

If a screenplay or two do open doors for assignment work, then I would most certainly consider that success in the field. And it will be like any other success. There will be exciting projects and there will be drudgery. There will be satisfaction when your work/ideas fit into the overall story, and there will be disappointment when your work/ideas are nixed. There will be accolades and head butting. And it may come to pass that the work will never see the light of the big screen.

What does seem to be the lifeblood of film is the sheer volume of ideas and screenplays and drafts needed to extrapolate just one film. That 40,000 is needed to find that 100, or that 59 that have a remote possibility of becoming a film. And there is no guarantee it will be a good film once all the dust has settled. And it will likely be that of the 40,000, a few gems were missed. The wrong eyes saw it at the wrong time. Lost opportunity.

No way to know, really. It's bit like panning for gold, and to find that one nugget, you need to sift a lot of stones and pebbles and dirt. A s*%t load. Do nuggets get missed? Of course. Do many of us believe our work is one of those nuggets? Of course - mine, anyways :).

Use your best specs as your calling card. It may get picked up by a big studio, or by a small indie, or you may even try and make it yourself. Course, producing is just half the battle. Now you actually have to get it distributed, and maybe, just maybe, make back the investment if not a few extra coins for all your efforts. Or, use that produced film as a calling card as well. It works. Even short films open doors. Some big, some ya gotta squeeze through.

If you were born to write, then embracing assignment work to feed your habit is your best option. If you sell a spec, pat yourself on the back, and keep on taking the assignments.

a
 
Last edited:
Thing is, I don't know many writers who want to end up just being jobbing writers.

Then like Bill says, they should consider being something other than screenwriters. Because "jobbing writers" are the only ones getting paid to do it.

Of my produced credits, only 1 was a spec sale. Also, of my paid work, again, only 1 was a spec sale...and I've got dozens of Spec scripts that I have written over the years.

Most of my paid assignments never got made. But they paid enough to allow me to produce my own features and get those released.

Would I love to only write what I wanted to write? Yes.

Would I have gotten anywhere if that's all I did? NO

Bill and Alex say it all in their posts.

-M
 
You can write whatever you want... but the stuff you make money on is most likely to be assignments.

Bill
 
Let's face it, to be a 'jobbing writer' you need to live where your boss lives. I've lost many a job because I don't live in LA (or there abouts). For those of us who don't live in LA the spec script is pretty much the only shot we got.

or

Assignments from indie guys. These don't realy pay, but hey you get your stuff shot.
 
Let's face it, to be a 'jobbing writer' you need to live where your boss lives. I've lost many a job because I don't live in LA (or there abouts). For those of us who don't live in LA the spec script is pretty much the only shot we got.

or

Assignments from indie guys. These don't realy pay, but hey you get your stuff shot.

I know what you mean. Same for me in ATL, I'm sure gigs went another way because of my locale.

But still, I do get assignments from L.A. based producers. No studio gigs yet, but hey, those are hard to get even if you live in L.A.

-M
 
Last edited:
Back
Top