1DC: One Take Sketch - Shot on Zhiyun Crane 2 with Dual Pixel Autofocus

giovannylago

Hey guys,

We shot this sketch in one take on a 6D Mark II and a Zhiyun Crane 2 gimbal. I know a lot of people have written off the 6D Mark II, but it's very useful for certain situations (particularly gimbal work in combination with it's Dual Pixel Autofocus). We considered using a C100, but the 6D's size and weight was more suitable for the smaller gimbal. Also the full frame look is a plus. The scene is set at a dark house party, and the camera performed very well under low light (we had a cheap $25 ring light mounted onto the lens).

We used the Canon 24mm L series set to autofocus and it also worked very well. We are pleased with the results. I could have been more precise with my camera work and blocking, but we only had 4 hours to prep the location and get the shot.

Would love to know your thoughts and feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6i1dLQM66g

Haha, injust watched a bit of it. Well done. Great use of the 6D platform.

I have been shooting with the 6D Mark II for the past month and can't tell you enough how pleased I am with it.

Such an underrated camera (because it's not 4K) which I literally had to "downgrade" to because of corporate requests/feedback from previous work done with the 5D Mark IV (in 1080p).

I will never ever get over Canon color science and the full frame look (I usually shoot wide open at f/1.4 or f/1.8 and have been letting the DPAF do the work 100% of the time). I also just recently started using the IBIS and was impressed by it too (no one ever mentions it).

EDIT - P.S. Great work!

Last edited:
Great job Giovanny! Did you use facracking or taped for focus? Did you have handles for the Crane or just used the single grip?

Great job Giovanny! Did you use facracking or taped for focus? Did you have handles for the Crane or just used the single grip?
Thanks!
We used the Servo AF setting set to center focus. It was very responsive and worked about as good as we could have wanted it to.

I also just used the single grip on the gimbal and it was actually very comfortable (even more so than two handles on a Ronin.)

All in all, I look forward to shooting with this setup again.

That's a fun and original piece. How did you handle audio? Was that a boom only on the actors? The sound was pretty good in a tough situation.

That's a fun and original piece. How did you handle audio? Was that a boom only on the actors? The sound was pretty good in a tough situation.

Thanks!

We actually didn't use a boom since I was moving the camera 360 degrees in a crowded room and we did not want to complicate the blocking with the sound guy. Instead we used 5 lavs to lav everyone and we had the sound guy in the kitchen away from everyone else just making sure the mics didn't clip. The most difficult part of the edit was the sound mix (it was pretty much the only thing we had to do since it was done in one take). We know there are problems with the sound but we are happy with what we were able to get.

Thanks!

We actually didn't use a boom since I was moving the camera 360 degrees in a crowded room and we did not want to complicate the blocking with the sound guy. Instead we used 5 lavs to lav everyone and we had the sound guy in the kitchen away from everyone else just making sure the mics didn't clip. The most difficult part of the edit was the sound mix (it was pretty much the only thing we had to do since it was done in one take). We know there are problems with the sound but we are happy with what we were able to get.

Overall, the audio's not bad.

Back