On the fence...

rgdfilms

Wet poodle
A vendor I put a deposit with just called and said my F3 was ready to pickup

To be honest I'm a little on the fence...

I already own a Red MX system but to be honest I'm sick of the weight, the expensive accessories and Red's slow slow slow method in which they ship out upgraded parts ie. EVFs, media, etc.

I like the size/weight of the F3 but haven't been able to play with one yet. To my crazy eye, video on the web looks more natural than the Red MX

I have an Epic on order but who knows when that will ship. I just got a little GH2 & PL adapter and am really digging that... Don't know what to do.. Is the F3 really the bee's knee's?
 
Clean image, low light, but most importantly, lightweight and fast. Red is not something you can just pull out and start shooting. This is why the F3 appealed to me at first, still does.
 
What kind of videos are you delivering? I am sitting on the fence also. I have rented RED's but never considered buying because of the way technology changes.
Would you still use the RED if you bought an F3? If you did not get the F3 would you pass on a job because the Red is not something you can just pull out and start shooting?

Only you can answer these questions.
 
The Red has become more of a mule as of late. I mainly rent it out and such. Won't be getting rid of it anytime soon because of that. For personal projects, I tend to grab my 5D or GH2 now. The F3 looks like a nice bridge between them all. I'm more of a run & gun shooter. Always have been so that's the #1 reason why the F3 appeals to me... Red is just getting way too expensive as of late... It's disappointing. Plus, technology is truly converging. We are getting to that point where it doesn't matter anymore.
 
Agreed on the argument of red. It's very heavy and it's hard to get parts for it. The F3 comes with Sony's excellent professional support/product availability/an easy-to-work with codec and workflow/excellent latitude and low-noise performance. And it should be cheaper than Red. Different tool for a different jobs - but overall it looks like the F3 is a better everyday pick up and shoot camera to add to your arsenal than red.
 
Question, how bad is the internal codec? I keep hearing from everyone that you MUST get an external recorder but this goes against what I dig about the camera. I like the small foot print. Adding a Ki Pro, you're going to have to think about how to power the device, how to mount it, etc. etc. -- Speaking of which, can you power the ki pro using the F3?
 
The ease of a DVX but the quality of a stripped down F35. Very, very hard to beat. Watch the F3 on the big screen and you understand why it's such a deal, not to mention it almost has night vision.

You can power it and the cam with a Series7 battery but who needs a KiPro all the time? Hasn't the EX system proven itself on countless projects, films and TV shows already shot on EX1 and EX3's?
 
Question, how bad is the internal codec? I keep hearing from everyone that you MUST get an external recorder but this goes against what I dig about the camera. I like the small foot print. Adding a Ki Pro, you're going to have to think about how to power the device, how to mount it, etc. etc. -- Speaking of which, can you power the ki pro using the F3?

http://vimeo.com/20171142
 
you really need to see it for yourself and have an expert show you what can be done and quality that it outputs, have a look at www.visuals.co.uk/F3openday.php where you can have a little play on the camera so you can make a decision on wether you think this is the right camera for you, the guys there know their stuff and have a really good set-up, was there last week had a really good run through and check it out on some monitors which they had set up such as a Panasonic LH1760. After seeing it myself i thought it was a fantastic camera for everyday use and general filming mainly because of the support and price as mentioned in the points above.
 
A vendor I put a deposit with just called and said my F3 was ready to pickup

To be honest I'm a little on the fence...

I already own a Red MX system but to be honest I'm sick of the weight, the expensive accessories and Red's slow slow slow method in which they ship out upgraded parts ie. EVFs, media, etc.

I like the size/weight of the F3 but haven't been able to play with one yet. To my crazy eye, video on the web looks more natural than the Red MX

I have an Epic on order but who knows when that will ship. I just got a little GH2 & PL adapter and am really digging that... Don't know what to do.. Is the F3 really the bee's knee's?

All I keep thinking is you sound really rich, LOL!
 
Yeah, Texas oil millionaire, you seem to have the means. I think you'll be well satisfied if you shoot the camera within it's parameters!
 
A vendor I put a deposit with just called and said my F3 was ready to pickup

To be honest I'm a little on the fence...

I already own a Red MX system but to be honest I'm sick of the weight... I like the size/weight of the F3 but haven't been able to play with one yet.

I have an Epic on order but who knows when that will ship. I just got a little GH2 & PL adapter and am really digging that... Don't know what to do.. Is the F3 really the bee's knee's?

Sounds like you have enough iron to keep you busy shooting. Why not wait a few months. In your case this is what I would do.
 
Back
Top