Odyssey 7Q/+ press release NAB - 240p prores and 4k/uhd 60p prores.

Thanks so much for this! Really helps. Also, another question (sorry if this has been answered already) but when recording internally at 120fps, you supposedly get better quality shooting at 24p vs 60p. Is this the same case when shooting on the 7Q in prores? I'm assuming it wouldn't matter since it's taking the raw signal and processing it on its own.

Are you talking about the FS700's internal AVCHD 24Mbps 24p FX mode vs 28Mbps 60p PS mode? That is completely out of the equation when outputting RAW to the 7Q.
 
ahh yes, thanks for that. I figured it had to do with camera trigger on or off. Thanks for the tutorial... after watching itSo my next question is (and forgive me if this has already been answered, search is difficult at times) ... with internal recording, shooting at 120fps at 60p supposedly yields lesser quality than 120fps at 24p. is this the same issue when recording on the 7Q? I'm assuming not since it's just getting the raw output and not being compressed? and so is it more beneficial to shoot in 4k/60p at 120fps? wouldn't u be able to slow that down a bit more in post?

also, in the description in your link, it says the sony raw option is $795 however, that raw option is no longer available. Just thought I'd bring that to your attention.
The quality of the 4K RAW or of the Apple ProRes derived from it is unaffected by the frame rate chosen. It is identical at all frame rates.
 
Atomos apparently interacts with SSDs differently than the Odyssey does. When we allow the support for the Samsung SSDs, they will be able to record in ALL the formats the Odyssey monitor/record supports.

Good to hear, thanks for clarifying Mitch. I've held off buying the Odyssey for 2 years, finally getting my wallet out this week and getting one! When the ProRes 4k HFR firmware is released that'll be everything in the Odyssey I've been holding out for. The Samsung drive update will be the icing on the cake. Can't wait!
 
May 20
We are in the testing phase our our next firmware update. When we have the last kinks ironed out we will release, which should be shortly. I'm wrapping up documentation now. This release will focus primarily on monitoring functions, in particular our new 3D-LUT system.


More word on future firmware updates after this one is launched.
Keep patient, we seem to be three steps before release:
:)

should be shortly ... -> .... will be soon .... -> .... very soon .... -> Roll out!
YOU ARE HERE ^
 
Because of support not open in weekend, firmware only comes on mondays and tuesdays, so june it is.

Unless Mitch pulls an exception just to prove a point. April firmware is NOT june firmware. :Drogar-Smoke(DBG):
 
yep, back where we were a year ago, timing wise at least.

How so? Actually, when I first bought my 7Q the firmware roadmap published by CD had LUT support coming in Q4 2013... and vectorscope and timelapse were also coming in that firmware :P

So it's more like 1.5 years and counting. Not sure how that happened, but it certainly makes the 7Q/7Q+ still feel like a real work in progress that they never hit half their goals for the very first 2013 firmware update...

Seems like every time I use my 7Q+ I discover another feature that seems like it should be complete but isn't (DCI aspect monitoring, TC, etc). Not fun to have such surprises on set. CD really really needs to publish a complete bug-list with each of their firmwares so users know what the limitations of the new features are. Like feel free to add support for 4k but put a big warning on it that you can't actually view the whole frame!
 
Last edited:
I'm going to write something here soon but I'm going to start a new thread for it. I don't want anyone to feel that I'm hiding it here inside this one.
 
Back
Top