odd issue with BPAV folder copying

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.P.
  • Start date Start date
G

G.P.

Guest
I copied the BPAV folder from the card, and dropped it onto USB drives, then when I use XDCAM Transfer to mount the folder, it doesn't do a damn thing... I have to go all the way into the individual clip folders just for it to mount each one, on its own... I can't work like that, it would take way to long to mount each individual folder, I have about 90 folders for each card dump and sometimes 4-6 card dumps a day ... whats the problem? Did I do something wrong? I thought that if you copy the BPAV folder just as is on the sxs card, that its the same thing and you can mount and un-mount just like a card...

Help? Is this a software issue, is there a software fix? or did I just do a no no by copying the folder and not importing with XDCAM Transfer?
 
Have you tried using the latest "XDCAM Browser" ?

I don't use XDCam Transfer anymore. I either use the log and transfer plugin or Cinemon.

And if I'm just clip browsing, XDCAM Browser is the newest integrated software out.
 
The latest XDcam browser seemed to have the same problems. I'm using v1 of XDcam Browser for Mac with FCP and its been batching with no problems for the last 4 ish months. Will have to ask at the Sony booth next week at NAB about this problem.
 
Have you used clip browser with CRC to copy each of your BPAV folders into new named folders?

No, I dont even know what CRC is, I just copied using my mac copy and paste, I copied the folder right from the card reader, then pasted that BPAV onto a blank drive.
 
If you just use the Mac Finder or the Windows Explorer to do a cut/paste there's no bit by bit data integrity check.

I would suggest either using XDCAM Browser to move clips, or something like Shotput Pro. Shotput Pro works for a great many camera formats, from the DSLRs, AVC, P2, XDCAM, etc. It dopies the folders to up to 3 destinations, and does a verification that the data actually recorded properly.
 
I have not moved up to the latest software but still use clip browser. When copying the BPAV folder from a card to a new named folder on my hard drive I tick the preferences box for CRC checking. This makes sure that the new named folder contains a copy without glitches that could cause problems. The workflow is easy once a newly named folder is created for each individual SxS card on the hard drive. It is then just a matter of telling preferences where to put an SxS card's BPAV folder. Simple and straightforward have not had a glitch in the 2-3 years I have been using the format.
 
does it give you the same issue in log and transfer in FCP? try the older XDCAM TRANSFER software, not the clip browser too. I've always like it, though they don't really support it anymore. works fine with f3 footage of all flavors though on sxs. also do you write protect your cards before slapping it into your computer? it doesn't happen often, but spotlight search and mess up the file structure sometimes, that's why you need to write protect the cards.
 
If you just use the Mac Finder or the Windows Explorer to do a cut/paste there's no bit by bit data integrity check.

I would suggest either using XDCAM Browser to move clips, or something like Shotput Pro. Shotput Pro works for a great many camera formats, from the DSLRs, AVC, P2, XDCAM, etc. It dopies the folders to up to 3 destinations, and does a verification that the data actually recorded properly.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthrea...c-is-there-any-better-ones.&highlight=shotput

If you like Shotput, try Joe Dono or those Brooklyn gray market camera shops for your next camera purchase.
 
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthrea...c-is-there-any-better-ones.&highlight=shotput

If you like Shotput, try Joe Dono or those Brooklyn gray market camera shops for your next camera purchase.


I was unaware that anyone had experienced customer service problems with the company. I can only act on information I'm aware of. My experience to date has been a positive one. I'm not aware of an alternative software that can do backups to three drives at once and provide verification.

As for cameras, I tend to buy most of my gear from EC Pro or B&H Photo Video.
 
My post was not intended to be a slap...I am only providing information on Imagine Products business practices. If I were a Mod, it would be a sticky posted prominently.
 
My post was not intended to be a slap...I am only providing information on Imagine Products business practices. If I were a Mod, it would be a sticky posted prominently.


Duly noted. Perhaps in the future you can bring up this point without implying that the person mentioning Shotput Pro is not only aware of the problem, but complicit in any of the company's shady dealings. I certainly was not aware, and my purchase of Shotput Pro was made purely because it seemed to best fit the job description. Notably, I purchased "Pro," and I have not yet had occasion to either reinstall it or transfer the license to a different machine.

Seeing as the company already has my money, I figure I might as well keep using the software... for as long as it works.
 
ok so none of the software from sony can load my copied BPAV folders, I have to go into each one just to export out each one... its painful, and I see no work around
 
Back
Top