Ninja for F3?

Well, no sdi means you wouldn't be able to take advantage of s-log. (And yes, you will be able to record perfect s-log out of a single sdi link, it's part of the SMPTE 372M standard) Also, I'm about 99% sure the hdmi out of the f3 is 8-bit, as every other cameras hdmi port is. So it would be a little pointless to move all the way to external recording and stay in 8-bit space. less chroma subsampling yes, but still only 256 levels to store all that gorgeous data. I have heard rumors though of an sdi version, but depending on the cost it might just bring you up into aja ki pro mini territory, and that thing is a beauty. On the fly conversion from its sdi input to its hdmi output, hdmi input to sdi output, fantastic audio circuitry with balanced mic/line in with phantom power, etc
 
He states they are making the SDI version in the video, to ship near NAB timeframe which is just in April. I would bet it will be $1500 and with even more features. It's hard to not go that way instead of a KiPro with all those features and the ability to use a SSD, it even has its own batteries so I can skip the tap issues.

I dont see the use of the XLR audio part of the KiPro anyway. It seems like it could have been a bit smaller/lighter without it, which I'd prefer.
 
the ability to directly use 2.5" hard drives is definitely a plus on my list, cheap and plenty of storage space. The Ninja has that going for it. The audio inputs on the ki are great for people using external audio rigs, that wish to bypass the audio circuitry of the camera they are using, and run it to their recorder directly.

If it ends up being $1500, I'm not sure what I'll do. I have a feeling I'll just spend the extra 500 bucks for the ki pro. For only 500 more you get an sdi to hdmi converter ($500 by themselves) hdmi to sdi converter ($500 by themselves), awesome audio connections and circuitry, and it does playback, which I'm pretty sure the ninja doesn't do. (externally anyway) You can use it as basically a portable prores player for clients or projection, or any other similar application.

Size/weight really isn't an issue for me, and I'm sure it won't be for most other people in the market for 10-bit 4:2:2 recorders. They're akin to already have a huge camera, rails, and an external battery config.
 
I'm getting one delivered on thursday to go with my f3k (being delivered Tuesday. ) so will be able to post up some reactions.
 
I'm getting one delivered on thursday to go with my f3k (being delivered Tuesday. ) so will be able to post up some reactions.

Does the Ninja fire (record) when you hit record to SxS on the F3? I would expect it to start recording once TC was detected to be roilling from the F3 (like a NanoFlash). To manually fire the Ninja would be a pain.
 
Does the Ninja fire (record) when you hit record to SxS on the F3? I would expect it to start recording once TC was detected to be roilling from the F3 (like a NanoFlash). To manually fire the Ninja would be a pain.

As there is no timecode over the HDMI, and the PMW-F3 only currently offers record triggering over SDI, this would appear to be a "no."

The Atmos Samuari seems better suited to consistent use with the PMW-F3, as it will have HD-SDI, and therefore presumably will be able to respond to the record trigger.
 
Back
Top