New SG35 'Real Spinning Ground Glass 35mm Adapter' Commercial version coming soon.

Wayne Kinney said:
Good news guys,
I just got off the phone to the DVX100 user, very friendly chap. He is very interested in hooking up his dvx with the SG35. Good thing is he lives in the next town from me. We will be arranging to meet soon.
Otherwise Wayne, hop onto the Eurostar and come to Paris... I have a big house with large rooms where we can have all sorts of fun with DoF... Plus... it's sunny here. :happy:
 
Hehe,
Funny you should say that, im on the eurostar all the time, next week as it happens. My girlfriend lives in Belgium. I'll tell her i got the wrong train by mistake, and ill come to you ;)

joakim, Im not far from London, I live in the lovely seaside town of brighton on the south coast which is about an hour away.
Wayne.
 
LOL ! Bring you girlfriend over, by all means. :engel017:


Funny indeed... Used to have a girlfriend in Belgium too, some years back. In Antwerp, to be precise. Wonder if...

Nah.

:happy:
 
Man you guys make me want to live in Europe...."yes, i am going for a little jaunt to Belgium this weekend...but the first of next week, I can meet you in Paris.........but I have to get back to London by Friday for a spot of tea...."
 
I did NY for four years... Wouldn't wanna go back, except to shop. I like Boston a lot more, and weekends at the Cape... It does feel a bit like Paris, only much less expensive and with the Riviera 90 minutes away.

I know, we're wandering way off topic here... but that's Wayne's fault ! Have to keep ourselves occupied until he uploads that footage wer'e all waiting for. Then we will pounce. :thumbsup:
 
Wayne, as I skimmed through the megatons of valuable posts at dvinfo.net where you moders seemed to hang out I noticed some perhaps obvious information.

#1
That it is possible to overcome the "softness" of the image produced by 35mm GG adapters on these cameras by using sub F1.4 stop lenses. Any thoughts on that? Is there a noticeble improvement of this feature if you use them, which would justify those pricy lenses, could you borrow some for testing?

#2
There seem to be an issue with proper focusing on any GG 35mm adapter camera no matter using external 7" lcd display for better picture. The idea is to get picture beefore it enters the electronics. So some suggest using additional optical viewfinder instead. Would it be possible/feasible to have some optical system going directly from the "GG room" to the outside as an additional viewfinder?
As I understand it that's exactly what the big guns like Arri D-20 and other
are based on, they split the image by some mirror thingy so it goes to the chip and to the optical viewfinder in separate channels..

Thanks
 
Mesuge,
Obviously the lower the F rating of any lens the more light it will let in, which is great for any 35mm adapter. Weather this will solve 'softness' in the image is another matter. I believe this to be down to the ground glass and optics used. I believe my ground glass to be high quality and will be proven with the FX-1 footage.

The Arri D-20 uses a complicated setup to relay the light to an optical viewfinder, it has a rotating shutter, so it reflects the image every 24/sec. Similar to the way an SLR cam relays the image to the viewfinder and the mirror flips up to expose the film, the Arri D-20 using a spinning disk to alternate between film and viewfinder every 24/sec I will not be using any simlilar setup on my unit.

Regards,
Wayne
 
will you be able to create a unit with a pl mount? and what do you think the order delivery time will be lets say from the time funds are recieved to the time the product is shipped out.
 
Wayne, I know it would be better to wait for bigger camera test like XLs or DVX100 but are there any preliminary results from the resolution charts and your older panasonic camera available now - I think it can reveal some qualities as it stands?

Just a question about "mass production" of SG35 - the other 35mm guy Letus35 learned the hardway that it's necessary to clean it after assembly by compressed air etc. Speaking of your product is it going to be purely hand made production or you will outsource some parts to some external CNC shop etc..?

Please don't consider my questions as bashing your product, quite to the oposite I'm big fan of your endevours and I'm perhaps too inquisitive..

Thanks
 
Mesuge,
No no, im glad you asked. Yes dust seems to be a problem with all adapters.

I machine my own parts from different materials, mostly aluminium and acetal plastic. It is cleaned via compressed air prior to shipping.

The res charts from the FX-1 will be done on Sunday, so not long to wait.

Regards,
Wayne
 
OK,
the FX-1 shoot has been prospond due to bad weather rendering outdoor shooting a no go. The FX-1 chap is 2 and a half hours drive away, so its best to make that journey on a more 'usable' day.

Regards,
Wayne.
 
Wayne Kinney said:
The res charts from the FX-1 will be done on Sunday, so not long to wait.

Regards,
Wayne

Well, its Thursday 27th. Where's the res chart at? Don't be pulling a Redrock on us now!

:undecided
 
I've been following this thread, lurking, for some time now...

I AM PUMPED! I want one!

Wayne, what is the purpose of the condensor? Doesn't this eat up light?
 
Jenny, thanks for your interest.

The role of the condenser is to even out the hotspot/vignetting. It collects all the light and focuses it towards to camcorders lens.

Regards,
Wayne.
 
Back
Top