New Pic of the SR-R1

Joe Walker

Well-known member
pkyse.jpg


Thought I'd share. Kind of big. Still don't know the price either. Makes the Gemini pretty tempting based on size alone. Interesting times.
 
it looks like a great recorder with a LOT of options. but the price of the media alone is really gonna make things difficult for lot of people to own this other than rental houses. offloading solutions won't be cheap either as there are no cheap adapters on the horizon as of yet. but I think the SR recorder is only gonna live in higher end productions with few people actually owning it.
 
Thought I remembered possibly reading somewhere that the 1 terabyte card was going to be about 4000 dollars. Yikes

i heard early quotes as high as 6 grand. no doubt it's gonna be bullet proof media, and the recorder itself has a LOT of options. but you are seriously gonna look at 15-30k in investing for the recorder and media, and that's not including the unit to offload the media on set. just really not worth it IMHO. even with having to deal with uncompressed off the gemini, the extra storage would still be 10x cheaper in the long run than renting all that stuff. plus there's always the possibility of transcoding on set.
 
I don't know the actual dimensions but i bet it's bigger than a AF100..IMO it's useless on the field, perfect for the studio projects..
 
Given the 3rd party options at hand, I think this thing will work as B-cam on monied F35/9000 shoots and that's about it. It won't be an expensive rental, but even at $200/day with media a lot of people will choose other options (uncompressed anyone?)

But the fact that it CAN be done adds value/rental value and life to our cams, so I think it's awesome.
 
Given the 3rd party options at hand, I think this thing will work as B-cam on monied F35/9000 shoots and that's about it. It won't be an expensive rental, but even at $200/day with media a lot of people will choose other options (uncompressed anyone?)

But the fact that it CAN be done adds value/rental value and life to our cams, so I think it's awesome.

honestly, i still find uncompressed really not a big deal at all. File sizes with RED have always been huge, even more so with the increased bitrate on EPIC, and productions handle the footage just fine. recording to 128 gb mag at 5:1 compression on a epic is about 23 min of recording time, 128 gig of uncompressed 1080p is ROUGHLY 5 minutes less worth of recording. i think productions and the market will adjust accordingly. a lot of people thought r1 at rec 28 being 2 gb a minute was too intense, and now nobody thinks anything of it.

either way, there are gonna be plenty of options out there, whether it's sr mxf, uncompressed/compressed quicktimes and what. and remember, there is the xdcam recording built in for your offline edit. so the uncompressed really only has to be your master files.
 
I've heard it will be between $15-20k for the SR-R1 unit alone, and the SR-R3, which is the R1 designed to be dock-able with the F23/F35 will be a bit more. I don't want to imagine what the SR-R4 will cost (which captures 16-bit RAW from that 8K camera).

Either way, the Gemini is going to be the preferred choice for most people using the F3 unless they are completely investing in the SR workflow or need the the extra options that the R1 offers (like 3D-link, as the R1 can record from two F3s to a single SR memory card). Otherwise, its hard to justify as its designed for target consumers with a completely different budget in mind.

Here's another view;
zoo10448-1.jpg


And a pic of the R4 at NAB, which seems to be around the same size as the R1;
zoo10445-1.jpg
 
I agree. I have an F3 and I think the SR-R! with media is just too expensive. I think the Gemini is going to be very effective and popular for a while. I'm already on the list at Abel... At the end of the day, if you cannot charge your client a shitload more for the R1 vs the Gemini, it's not going to pay for itself. It's really is about economics.
 
Back
Top