New Commercial - DVX w/ Letus 35 FE

Is the second shot meant to be canted? I like the storyline, its simple, and works, but I just felt the acting/timing was a little off.

Were you using just the existing light? No beef about it, just curious...it works for the flat/office style.
 
The second shot is not really canted. Its an illusion created by the angle and the substantial height difference of my two actors. The head may have been a bit dutch but I think the actors size are magnifying that shot. I used lighting, but lit really flat and drab to match the office. I used a 750 watt light w/ chimaera and a open face 250.

Thanks for feedback...
 
Jason, why is there such a difference in the last shot (lighting) with spokesman? Was that supplied to you or taken from a different spot?
Gary
 
We lit him to a bit more dramatic. It was shot same day, but was not meant to match the dry flat style of the storyline. This clients local competition tags his spots the same way. Standing in front of a copier. So it was important to client to look better than competition in that shot.
 
Whoa whoa whoa, am I missing something, or did the old dude totally blow his lines? It almost appears if he's pausing to read a cue card.
I don't think the folks at Heaster Heart would be too stoked with his delivery. (Or is he an employee whom insisted on being in the spot?)

I agree, that 2nd shot looks canted. Deliberate or not, somethings just not right.

If I were shooting this, I would have grabbed some close up shots of the two employees during their lines.

I like your rack focus work.
 
I agree the performances are pretty clunky.

And I don't think the adapter buys you anything here. The idea is funny, but the rack focus stuff makes no sense to me really.

Also, I might have put a little more into prod design. One thing I've learned in the past two years is that at least half of cinematography is just pointing the camera at something interesting. So it might have helped to add some kind of detail to that office.

Funny idea.
 
Thanks for all the great feedback. But yes the spot has been approved and finished.

Client loved it

But I really appreciate all the feedback I am getting. I will post more in the future.

thanks
 
I liked it except for the old guys pause. Throws the timing of the whole spot off, but maybe that's what they wanted. It makes it look amiturish to me, but fixing that would have made the rest look polished. .5 of a sec too long on the response to the first question as well, but I'm a nit picky editor that sees things like that. I know in a spot your trying to fill time, but silence betwen lines is not a good way to do it. Just my 2 cents.

www.davegarfield.com


Hey, I just bought a Motorhead 20 and JonyJib Pro 21' can't wait to get it. I have a 8ft that I modded to 12' but this thing is soo much cooler (I hope).

I use a DVX100B with Andromeda's Film-Reel-Stream acquisition system (so far very happy with that upgrade), and um oh yah and a redrock-micro with several Nikon lenses for my last shoot. (not related to this post so sorry...)

David
 
Back
Top