New camera advice, NEX EA50U?

firehawk

Veteran
Hi everyone.
I need another camera and would like some advice please.
Here's what I have: 2 Panasonic AG HMC150s, an AG HCK10 (hmc40) and a couple sony action cams. These work pretty well as standard work horses for weddings, dances, and a variety of things.
However, what I need is a "beauty cam" that can also get cinema like shots. One that can pull shallow DOF and overall better images for some work such as love stories, interviews, higher end corporate work. And also a camera that can really pull through in low light. I also need one more ENG type camera so Ideally this camera could also work with the other cameras in a multicam event if needed, like a big wedding or dance.

The Sony EA50 seems to be a DSLR turned into an ENG camera so it can do both. Panasonic doesn't seem to offer any such camera.
I've looked at the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. It can accomplish the beauty shots and cinema look. But it wouldn't work as another ENG camera plus I would need considerably more equipment for it.

I've looked at the Panasonic GH3. It can do photos and high quality video. But again, needs much more to try to deal with being a DSLR.

The Sony EA50 looks like a pretty good option but I'm concerned about how big a headache it will be trying to match footage in post and the lack of ND.
What lens would be a good choice to use when I really need low light performance with this camera? On a review they used a Carl Zeis 1.8 and the night time just lit up.

The other idea is to get another HMC150 and just get by until an ideal camera comes along or the prices drop.
Any ideas?
 
I don't think there is a good large-sensor ENG camera on the market right now, but the Sony EA50 looks to be a good step in this direction. The 18-200mm f/3.5 - 6.3 kit lens is going to be pretty slow for low-light work, so you will have to upgrade this to something faster. ( either primes or an f/2.8 zoom )

These days I shoot most of my work with my GH2 / GH3 cameras, with the remainder shot with my HMC-150 camera. I would seriously consider the GH3 camera as a low cost way of having a good "beauty cam", that you will use specifically for these type of shots, and buy another ENG camera if you need one of those too. ( i.e. Used HMC-150 )

Otherwise, if your budget can take it ( mine can't ) the Canon C100 with a couple of good L glass zooms would be my first choice. 20,000 ISO with with 12 stops of dynamic range, in a compact body that can run all day on 2-3 batteries. It also records AVCHD file formats, so you can shoot very long events.
 
For Panasonic, the AF100 with the 14-140 will work the closest to an ENG cam, then slap a fast lens on for low light work. The EA50 is the only other model I can think of, but like The Dingo said you'll need a faster lens for low light with that as well. The higher priced C100 is another choice.

EA50 review:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=jx2oKby5PwXHEePRfYv2yQ&bvm=bv.44770516,d.cGE
C100 Review:
http://vimeo.com/55247935

AF100 with Philip Bloom:
http://philipbloom.net/2010/10/19/af100/
 
Last edited:
Hi

Dingo and PulpFiction007 both offer good advice. I personally have an HMC150 and Canon 7D and am buying all new cameras for an organization. They will be Canon XF105s to fulfill the role the HMC150 now does for me and then a Canon C100 for the beauty shots. Great ergonomics, great picture, great build quality, can see in the dark. It's like a 5D or 7D but way better. Downside really is the expense. In any case all the choices above are wins and the good news whichever camera you choose they are all good choices and will serve well.
 
Thanks everyone.
I have 3 lenses for my canon dslr (photo only).
Cheap canon 18-55mm, canon 70-300mm and a better tamron like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000A1G05/ref=mw_dp_img?is=l

It's really a hard choice for me.
If I go Sony ea50 then I would just need an addition low light lens for those situations where I can't use light. I already have Sony batteries for it.

Still looking at the af100 too.

The canon c100 looks very nice but *ouch* it's a little out of my budget once I add the additional stuff for it.
It looks like maybe the c100 if Properly fitted could be good as a video camera. I see it has xlr audio and other pluses.

I guess what I need to determine is how much would each of these cameras cost once outfitted for the type work I'm describing.

You guys with the gh3, how much is needed to use it as a video camera? It looks to be the least expensive.

What low light lens would be advisable for the Sony ea50?

How about the canon c100. What things must I have for it?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm out of my league here and trying to learn.
 
I have a set of Canon FD primes and i'm thinking to build with a GH3 a great low price video camera, now maybe with the Tascam DR-60 can even do great in camera audio, sometimes i have 2 same day jobs and can send the Gh3 to cover one.
Maybe before a Nex EA50 consider a used FS100 ($3500), i have one and for me this was my best choice. Personally i don't like the EA50 form factor, is like over sized for what it is, maybe a VG30 form factor could work better for me, but this Nex Handycam series leave too much to be desire.
 
This post is a copy from an answer to my question about the EA50. It says a lot.


Hi Guys


I use 2 EA50's for weddings ..Yeah, I tried the DSLR route but I do a lot of handheld work at weddings and the tiny/odd shaped bodies don't exactly promote nice handheld footage whereas the EA50 on your shoulder does a fantastic job .. I came from pansonic as well and after fighting with AC-130's the form factor of the Sony is awesome ..the low profile also is easier to manage and I love the fact I can put whatever i choose into manual or auto, selectively. What I did do for better on-shoulder balance is make a bracket behind the shoulder pad and my receivers sit on that as well as the battery pack for a video light when I need it. The extra weight at the back takes a little off the front end and I now find I don't need the sprung rod/eng rig that I used to use with the Pannys.


The only issue I have had so far is buying ND filters that gave my footage a colour cast but those are now in the bin...exposure range is really incredible on these cameras and if you want to use primes you can too!!


Chris
 
Thank you to everyone for all the great info.
I can't afford a canon c100. Pretty much marked off the af100 too.
I'm thinking either a GH3 and another HMC150

Or

Sony EA50

Still can't decide. Looking at lens prices, etc.
I like the price of the GH3 but am concerned with ergonomics of shooting video with a little DSLR. I haven't done it.

(I wish panasonic made an EA50) :)
 
Hi Guys

The quote was from me and yes they are awesome cameras...forget about the slow stock lens ..with the big APS sensor you still get plenty of light in even at F4 ...I had HMC80's previously and these cameras are way, way better ....gain is clean too right up to 24db but a bit noisy at 30db .... On the HMC80's I dared not go higher than 12db and F1.8 but with the EA50 I can do a half zoom which is F4 and the camera will push the gain to maybe 15 or 21db is bad light but you still get a great image!!

What nonsense about ND filters ...DSLR cameras don't have ND filters ! The big sensor doesn't suffer the same image degradation over F5.6 like 1/4" or 1/3rd " chips so you don't need them UNLESS you need to force the iris open to get a shallow DOF...I shoot Realty and Weddings outdoors with shutter of 100 or 120 and aperture of F16 and the image is perfect!!! In fact if the motion is slow in the scene you can comfortably push shutter to 1/400th and have a wide iris but it will "freeze" running water or no be as good on motor sports ...anything else ..all apertures work great and no IQ drop at all!!

Chris
 
Hi,

I was about a very similar decision and decided to walk the EA50 line yesterday.

I think that camera is highly underrated as some ugly consumer stuff. I am sure there is not even as much camera for the money outside if you want a ENG style camera with large sensor. I have considered the FSx00 and the Canon Cx00 but in the end they were all much to expensive and I do not see the big advantage for my purpose.
Yes there is more sharpness out there and yes the EA50 is far from beeing the lowlight king.
But don't forget it's the same menu and options as the more expensive FS100 has. So you can use picture profiles and have your image tweaked.
For lowlight you can use the metabones adapters with faster Canon EF glas as I do. For the beginning I use the smart adapter with my old Tokina 28-70/2,8 but plan to have a 17-55/2,8 IS or 24-105/4,0 in the near future.
 
Hey Chris and Erik,
Thanks for chiming in. I'm seriously considering the EA50. I appreciate all the great info and advice.

Since we have a couple canon DSLRs (non-video), I can justify one extra canon lens for the EA50 for those emergency events where its dark and I just can't use any extra light.
What lens would you recommend with the metabones adapter to use in low light for the EA50? A zoom/telephoto would be prefered, because in those situations, the EA50 would be the "A" camera for sure.
 
Last edited:
Hey Firehawk

I bought the Sony SEL50F18 and it was just too long for weddings and the DOF at F1.8 is crazy unless your subject is dead still!! Really I have found that the stock zoom is awesome and at least AF works...with a DSLR zoom lens you will have to be totally manual which is great if you have the time, but a nightmare for run 'n gun. Remember although the lens at 18mm is only F3.5 it's going to a big APS-C sensor not a tiny 1/3" chip like in your HMC150 so the sensitivity just doesn't compare... In Churches where my old HMC82's used to be F1.8 (full open) and pushing 12db gain, the Sony is zoomed in a bit and only at F4 .... gain also is clean up to 24db which makes a huge difference.

I would try the stock zoom on a few shoots before deciding if you really need to get an adaptor and prime lenses ...I shoot wedding with both cameras using stock zoom only!!

Chris
 
Chris,
Thank you again for all the help and for telling me about the EA50 in the first place. Trying out the stock lens is definitely what I'll do if I get it before spending any more money.
I'm still watching the new black magic pocket camera and panasonic gh3 for low cost beauty cameras, but those won't have the diversity of the EA50 for both beauty shots and for run and gun events all in one.

So it's kind of looking like one of these options:
1. Gh3 and Another hmc150
2. BM pocket camera and another hmc150
3. Sony EA50
 
I think that the BM is going to be a nightmare for wedding videographers and they will back off like a lot have already done with the GH3 which is losing popularity too. If you look at the Sony and want prime lenses then Rokinon make a whole new bunch of cine lenses that don't need an adaptor even!!!

Camera choice is like a new car .. we all have different tastes! I would most definately try to go for a matching pair though as it makes life so much easier!!
 
Chris, thank you for being such a big help again.
I'll look at the rokinon lenses too.

Yeah, camera choice can be like car choice.
Problem is I would "choose" Panasonic because I already have several cameras plus controllers, batteries, etc. Yet they dont make what I need. It's hard to switch brands once invested. Plus I do like the panasonic "look".

I think the EA50 will be better than trying to deal with a DSLR type camera. It's already shoulder mount (which I like) so I wont have to get as much extra stuff to use it.
I think I'm going to get one for beauty shots, single camera corporate work, small weddings, and emergency low light weddings and see how it goes. I'll try it with the other cameras and see how much headache it is to match in post and then see what I need to do.

Since love story beauty shots are outside usually, I'll want DOF.
What ND filter should I look at? Are external ND filters rated like the internal ones in the HMC150, as in 1/4, 1/64 etc?
Anything I should look out for regarding ND filters besides non-colorizing?
 
Since love story beauty shots are outside usually, I'll want DOF.
What ND filter should I look at? Are external ND filters rated like the internal ones in the HMC150, as in 1/4, 1/64 etc?
Anything I should look out for regarding ND filters besides non-colorizing?

One of the best Gradual ND Filter is the new Genus Eclipse, the color casting is not to high, and keep the sharpness, good price too.
 
One of the biggest so called "issues" with the EA-50 is the lack of ND filters but I have not found it an issue at all ...DSLR's don't come with ND's and all the EA-50 does in auto is lift shutter speed if the light is too bright... The only time I use an ND is when I purposely want to create shallow DOF. Remember it has a huge sensor compared to the HMC150 so issues like image degradation with smaller apertures than F8 simply don't exist!! I have shot oudoor weddings at F16 and the image is perfect where with a smaller sensor camera you would be forced to use ND's due to degradation. Yep the variable ND is useful but I don't like the fact that you cannot switch it to zero ..it's minimum is ND2 so you lose light indoors which means taking the filter off. I also found that I was getting infrared contamination with some ND's too!! Seriously you can do shots at F16 and a shutter of 1/400th without any problems but just be careful with high speed stuff (motor sport etc etc) where the higher shutter might freeze the action when you would prefer some motion blur and a lower shutter ...then an ND is a good idea.

Chris
 
+1 for considering a used FS100. Unless the shoulder mount is really a deal breaker, I think you'll be much happier with the image quality and low light ability that the FS offers over the EA50. I don't know that we're allowed to link to other sites, but there's a comparison of the two cameras over at Streaming Media Producer that you can easily search for and find. It may be worth a look...
 
Back
Top