Need to buy HVX, advice please!

neil2

Member
I have been hired to shoot/edit a small documentary where I will be traveling to several countries (I am currently in the USA).

I need to provide my own camera for this project (currently do not own), and I have about 8-9k to spend on it. I start filming in late February, and one of the first places I am going is Japan.

I have been planning to buy a HVX for a long time, but I wanted to wait and hear the initial reports. Now this project has come along and I may have screwed myself over and be forced into buying another camera that I don't really want. Changing the production schedule to wait for HVX to ship is not an option at this point.

From what I have come up with so far these are my options...


1. Buy a DVX100 for now and start shooting in SD, but this would put a big dent into my budget, and the project involves heavy keying and rotoscoping and would greatly benefit from HD resolution.

2. Get a HDV camera. I worked with the FX1 on a project last summer and there were many things I did not like about it, many of which were issues that I had with the HDV format in general.

3. Rent a camera until the HVX is available, again this would put a big dent into my budget, and I would need to take my rental with me overseas.

4. Order a HVX from Japan, and possibly even pick one up IN Japan, but seems pretty sketchy and I would like to get USA warranty.


Any help / advice is appreciated, and also are any dealers still running any pre-order specials?

Thanks
 
Option 5:

Buy a H1 (falls within budget) now, shoot what you can. Later on when HVX is more available you can sell your Canon for a small lost and buy the HVX. Maybe by then you will have falling in love with with the Canon, maybe not. The difference is the used sale price and your purchase price will almost definately be smaller then the rental cost for any of the HD cameras. If you can create a workflow to use the SDI out that falls within your budget, the color space shouldn't be a problem with the Canon.

Option 6:

When the larger shipments of HVX's start getting out there, offer to buy from someone who got one for like a grand over retail. Again you take a small hit financially but if the HVX and it's DVCPro 4:2:2 is what you need for your work then the extra cash will be well spent then trying to key 4:2:0 footage.

Good luckl
 
Honestly, your best bet is probably to look to a local dealer. Many of them will be getting small shipments from Panasonic, but don't have long wait lists like internet dealers such as EVS, Abel, BH, etc. There was another post where someone said their local dealer had only 1 preorder. I know my local dealer only had 3 preorders in the first week of Jan when I put my name on the list. I don't know if it would work for sure, but it's worth checking out.

What is the documentary about??
 
It's impossible to know how big the backlog is and if you can get one in about 1 month or not. You may want to search out a dealer who is sells both the Panasonic and Canon (or JVC). This delaer should be willing to let you order the HXV-200, but if it does not come 1 week before you leave, allow you to purchase a different camera. (I assume that it will take you a week to get used to the camera and makes sure it works OK, BEFORE you leave.)

Bob Diaz
 
Back
Top