Need help building up my kit

arthurwoo

Member
Hi everyone,

Relatively new to the DSLR and video world in general (8 months in) and in between recording/editing/etc I'm constantly online reading about reviews and kits and how to improve my skill level. I'm currently on a 60d with 3 zoom fixed aperture lenses (covering 11-200 (pre aps-c crop factor)) and one 30mm prime. So far I'm doing a bit of everything, from short commercials, music videos, very short films, and live event coverage.

I've started getting some paid assignments for both event coverage as well as some commercial spots and am trying to see what I can leave as cheap/budget vs what items I should upgrade to get reliable/repeatable results. Typically I am a one man band, very rarely do I have assistants, so my kit has to have everything (camera accessories, lighting, audio, etc).

I've read that for some of the stuff I'm shooting (especially live events where there are speakers that go beyond the 12 min Canon limit) that a "real" video camera like an EX1/AF100/FS100 and the like are preferable, but I've been borrowing extra bodies/lenses when necessary. I still also need some key things like audio/support/lighting and would rather pour money into those things vs a new camera. While I am fully aware I can rent these items, I feel like it's a money sink since I will be using them over and over (specifically for 'fun' productions, not so much hired projects where client will take care of rental charges), might as well own the key pieces.

I'm not exactly sure where to go at this point. I'm already seeing some of my cheaper tools deteriorate so I know for sure I want quality items, but not sure where to focus my attention on first.

Already have monopod, shoulder rig, led lights, zoom h4n, mke400 shotgun, flycam, nd filters, mattebox, follow focus, evf, lcdvf, cheap ephoto softbox lights,

I'm looking at the following things:

-Arri Fresnel 3 light kit (~1800)
-Vinten Vision Blue + Sticks (~1100) - I don't own a tripod, I've been borrowing a friend's when necessary
-Steadicam vest w/ Arm (~1500) - for music video/short films. I use a Flycam nano as I needed a budget stabilizer a few months ago and this was what I could afford at the time. Eventually will upgrade to glidecam
-Sennheiser 416 (~1000)
-Additional Camera body 5d (~2300)
-Zeiss Prime (50mm ZF w/ adapter)

I'm trying to get opinions/thoughts from people who have been on a dslr platform getting paid gigs to see if I'm going in the right direction. I've spent money on things I thought would add value to my production workflow but ended up just sitting there (shoulder rig/mattebox/follow focus mainly), and still in the hopes that they'll be used for something eventually. Obviously can't get ALL of it now, just wondering if people had opinions on where I should focus building my kit based on the above info.

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
You're pretty loaded for bear, at least for someone who is working solo (are you?). From your wish list, I would go for the head/tripod first, and toss in a slider while you're at it.
 
I second that.

Get a tripod first. A good one will last you years and years. I've heard good things about the Vision Blue, and if you don't intent to go above its payload capacity (about 8 pounds I think), you'll be set. Seriously, a good tripod can be a lifelong investment. Get the best you can afford.

Since you do events, the next thing I'd recommend is audio. Some sort of mic system - but I'm not the best in this area; I don't do event video. But probably a lav or on-camera mic would help you greatly.

After that, you can figure out if you need another lens (like the 17-40mm, which you probably have), or flexible lighting equipment, etc.

I am surprised, though, that you say you don't use your shoulder rig for event video. Surely some of it would be better suited to handheld ENG-type work than staying locked off on the tripod. I know it depends on the event, but same point. What kind of events are you normally contracted to record?
 
You're pretty loaded for bear, at least for someone who is working solo (are you?). From your wish list, I would go for the head/tripod first, and toss in a slider while you're at it.

Thanks for the tip, I was leaning on doing the tripod first. And yes I am working solo most of the time. Occasionally I'll have an assistant but that's usually someone the client brings on and is just an extra body to carry around stuff. Many of the things I've worked on are on a lower budget scale so cutting cost is of the essence and that usually means not having extra bodies if not absolutely necessary.

What slider would you recommend? I have a cheap $70 mini slider from igus that I use occasionally but was wondering if the Kesslers/Konovas might be a better investment. I haven't had the opportunity to test one out since I don't know anyone who has one, and I don't like renting just for the sake of trying it out unless it's actually going to be used.
 
I second that.

Get a tripod first. A good one will last you years and years. I've heard good things about the Vision Blue, and if you don't intent to go above its payload capacity (about 8 pounds I think), you'll be set. Seriously, a good tripod can be a lifelong investment. Get the best you can afford.

Since you do events, the next thing I'd recommend is audio. Some sort of mic system - but I'm not the best in this area; I don't do event video. But probably a lav or on-camera mic would help you greatly.

After that, you can figure out if you need another lens (like the 17-40mm, which you probably have), or flexible lighting equipment, etc.

I am surprised, though, that you say you don't use your shoulder rig for event video. Surely some of it would be better suited to handheld ENG-type work than staying locked off on the tripod. I know it depends on the event, but same point. What kind of events are you normally contracted to record?

Thanks! Looks like the Tripod is next! I don't see myself getting a full fledged video camera for a while (at least another year or two, unless I change directions dramatically). I was looking at Sachtler, Vinten, and Miller models and spent a few weeks researching them and looking at reviews/comments/demos/etc. I'm not 100% sure about the Vision Blue simply because of the 4 lb minimum when I want to do something simple like say a timelapse w/ just a dslr body and a wide angle lens. That's the only thing I'm concerned about. Otherwise I'd meet the 4 lb requirement easily w/ the peripherals (audio/monitor/etc). I would consider the Fsb-8 from Sachtler w/ sticks but it's 1100 more than the Vision blue, plus I've seen some not so favorable reviews on the fs series for what the price is.

I do use an mke400 (which is similar to the rode videomic) and it's been great so far, but I am looking at getting a lav or two. Not so hot on the wireless systems at the moment, I don't like the idea of any interference screwing up a one shot interview in a crowded location (even if sit down) where time is of the essence.

The events I do require a lot of running around, and I've found that monopods are way faster to set up/break down as well as get angles (shorter/taller than me) I want. For live events, so far I've done several night clubs, as well as large scale events at event halls where the goal was to get snippets of the event + interviews. I find the only way a shoulder rig is comfortable is if it is counterbalanced, and that when it is counterbalanced if i swing around and am not careful in a crowded space the big Zacuto weight might smack someone in the head! Plus as in the post above i am usually solo - a monopod fits right on my backpack or case that I'm carrying, vs the rig which is a big heavier/bulky.

I'm still not sure where a shoulder rig fits in; even when on a closed set for some of the personal projects I've done I'd either use a borrowed tripod or the flycam when following people around. I guess I've had a couple of rigs that just did not suit me well and I might be biased from those experiences; any stories from your own personal experience would be good to hear.
 
Last edited:
I can vouch for 3 of the Sachtler FS models - FS 4, 6, and 8. I have used them extensively and absolutely love them. I've never had a problem with Sachtler anything, so I'm curious as to what the unfavorable views that you've read are saying. (I've used the Sachtler Cine 7+7, 9+9, Video 20, and Video 15 models, too, and I own the Video 14 II.)

A monopod may be a great route for you, or you may need to rethink your shoulder rig design. Simple concept, but the actual design of the rig is incredibly important if you want comfort, flexibility, and portability. You have to get the weight and balance just right, and it needs to be ergonomic, which normally means more money, but it works in the end.

You gotta pay to play in this business!

I'm not a big fan of Steadicams; I typically bring on a Steadicam operator, if I want a Steadicam shot, but that's speaking from a narrative standpoint, not event video. The Flycam may be the way to go for you, but I can't really tell you for sure; it depends on your preferences and work environment.

I've spent almost a year customizing (and, at one point, custom building) shoulder rigs to fit my needs, and I'm always changing things. The whole setup changes for each camera. If you keep everything low and focus on balancing out the rig, I think you might find it a lot more comfortable and versatile, but balance is really the key.
 
I can vouch for 3 of the Sachtler FS models - FS 4, 6, and 8. I have used them extensively and absolutely love them. I've never had a problem with Sachtler anything, so I'm curious as to what the unfavorable views that you've read are saying. (I've used the Sachtler Cine 7+7, 9+9, Video 20, and Video 15 models, too, and I own the Video 14 II.)

A monopod may be a great route for you, or you may need to rethink your shoulder rig design. Simple concept, but the actual design of the rig is incredibly important if you want comfort, flexibility, and portability. You have to get the weight and balance just right, and it needs to be ergonomic, which normally means more money, but it works in the end.

You gotta pay to play in this business!

I'm not a big fan of Steadicams; I typically bring on a Steadicam operator, if I want a Steadicam shot, but that's speaking from a narrative standpoint, not event video. The Flycam may be the way to go for you, but I can't really tell you for sure; it depends on your preferences and work environment.

I've spent almost a year customizing (and, at one point, custom building) shoulder rigs to fit my needs, and I'm always changing things. The whole setup changes for each camera. If you keep everything low and focus on balancing out the rig, I think you might find it a lot more comfortable and versatile, but balance is really the key.

Some comments I saw on the B&H store (as well as other review/forum/blog) have said that the fs series are not as smooth as some of the other heads out there as far as panning goes (in that price range); also the drag/balance mechanism isn't as great. There weren't many negative reviews but some of those stood out to me, whereas all I keep seeing about the Vision blue is what a steal it is and I haven't seen anything negative about it. I've read the vision blue has an extremely easy to use balancing system. Being new to the whole "paying more than a couple hundred bucks for a tripod" game,and not having any of the pricier models around at stores for me to check out, all I have to go on are internet reviews and hearsay. What sticks are you using w/ the Sachtlers? When I was considering those, I was looking at the speedlock 75 but there are some who say that those legs aren't great. I'm looking for something stable enough to not jiggle around but also light enough to carry around. Any thoughts on that?

My shoulder rig is a bit bulky. I saw what I thought would be awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6S8f6qZm0&feature=channel_video_title) which I built up using cpm tools and some zacuto parts (and now what I think might have been a mistake as it's pretty big/heavy). What are you using for your shoulder rig?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top