My one BIG concern about the footage and evaluation of it.

  • Thread starter Thread starter G.P.
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G.P.

Guest
This is by no means a bash to any of the DP's who were flown out to Japan to shoot their footage.

But why the heck were these all run and guy type shoots?? Coming from a cinema background where we actually control the lighting and flag lights and using shades, scrims, silks, and everything else to control light... why wouldn't you do a proper cinema test? It would have been quite easy to build a set inside a room, do some dramatic lighting with some actors and actually shoot some scenes.

I mean this camera keeps being called a "cinema camera" then why do I only see run and gun shooting? why do I only see available lighting and 0 control over that available light? No silks, no flags, no proper cinema setup at all. I think that would have GREATLY help the viewers of this footage evaluate it for what that camera is targeted for, cinema type shooting. The footage I'm watching seems to just be what a tourist would shoot on a trip, not very much testing what a cinema camera can do. Why fly a bunch of DP's out to test a cinema camera and not doing cinema tests??

I would have gone straight to a standard set shoot, with metering, full lighting control, actors with both dark and light skin, and shot something cinematic, not tourists in Japan footage. Sure its nice to see what this camera can do just walking around outside and shooting what you can, but its all not really practical for the cinema world. Sure for documentary footage its fine, but when you have a set with actors, crew, producers, and a dramatic script, comedy script, any script... you'd want the same thing for every other film, control of lighting. Even if its as simple as some large silks over head, why wasn't this tested? Is this "cinema" camera really being tested as such? or is this "cinema camera" falling into the traps of the consumer world?

This is not a bashing, this is a serious question from my point of view. If I was flown to Japan to evaluate a new cinema camera from Panasonic that shoots with proper lenses, I'd go in a dark room, get some actors sitting in chairs, start doing some dramatic lighting, soft light, hard light, colored light, flat light, flares, and all of that could have been done in a 5 hour time. Shoot some over the shoulders, shoot some 2 shoots, shoot some wides, change up the lenses... Thats kind of common among testing any cinema camera, its the tests we always see. So why didn't this happen?

Is this camera not geared towards filmmaking, and more geared towards run-and-gun shooting? documentary type shooting? I think these questions are important, because overall it shows whats actually being done with this camera and who its really being geared towards.

I feel slightly let down, because I heard some DP's where going to do some test shooting of the AF100 and this is not the kind of stuff I was expecting at all. It's not really test footage to me, in fact its not even usable for evaluating cinema use. On a film set you'd never just run and shoot, you'd meeter, you'd silk, you'd flag, you'd light.

Attack me if you must, but I think I make a very valid point, and these are the questions I have. Maybe if they actually did those shoots we would have gotten AMAZING footage?? We would have seeing beautiful shots of actors in nice lighting, the things a cinema camera is built for. I know there are some other uses for this camera, but then don't market it as a cinema camera and not show anything cinematic with it.

my 2 bits, anyone care to elaborate?
 
but thats not true, the people buying a camera that you HAVE to buy lenses for are already at least some what serious about filmmaking, and have to know how to focus, what lenses to buy, and such... If you're just a run and gun wouldn't you stick to an HVX200 or an EX1 or a DSLR? You can exclude DSLR if you'd like just because of it not having XLR's but then you're still stuck with the fact that run and gun shooting doesn't lend itself to the type of camera this is being built as. A 35mm dof camera that shoots 24p with cinegamma and all the bells and whistles... If it was the case of only videographers and documantrians, they already have their cameras build and on the market for some time now.

Does that make sense?


Plus to add on to that... They are maketing the camera under glass with HUGE expensive cinema prime lenses on it. So I think that alone shoots the whole only videographers idea out of the water. The show it with PL mount all the time with Zeiss prime lenses that cost the same amount as the camera alone.
 
Last edited:
But why the heck were these all run and guy type shoots?? Coming from a cinema background where we actually control the lighting and flag lights and using shades, scrims, silks, and everything else to control light... why wouldn't you do a proper cinema test? It would have been quite easy to build a set inside a room, do some dramatic lighting with some actors and actually shoot some scenes.
Because that was not offered to us. They set the schedule, they took us to the places they took us.

This was a first time for them. I have given them ample feedback on how they could do it differently next time.
 
Because that was not offered to us. They set the schedule, they took us to the places they took us.

This was a first time for them. I have given them ample feedback on how they could do it differently next time.

See this is what I was thinking, I knew it wasn't any of the DP's faults because I know you guys want the footage to look good, I was just shocked that there wasn't already something setup for you guys to shoot that was like that. Do you think they are going to do another type of setup before the camera his stores to wow people?
 
It was their first time doing something like this. We all made it very clear to them that while scenery is lovely, what we really wanted to shoot was actors, in controlled lighting scenarios, with proper monitors on hand so we could properly profile the camera and learn what worked and what didn't, and dial in the look that we wanted to do.

I can guarantee you that you will see proper cinematic footage before the camera is released.
 
It was their first time doing something like this. We all made it very clear to them that while scenery is lovely, what we really wanted to shoot was actors, in controlled lighting scenarios, with proper monitors on hand so we could properly profile the camera and learn what worked and what didn't, and dial in the look that we wanted to do.

I can guarantee you that you will see proper cinematic footage before the camera is released.

Awesome thats all I wanted to know, that clears up all my questions regarding the situation in Japan. Thanks for clearing it up.
 
Cool. Happy ending.

So, in the interest of good vibes, we'll consider this question resolved, and leave it at that, if that's cool :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top