My first action movie on the HVX - Trailer

Not bad man, HVX looks good in this. I am actually working on couple of action shorts myself. Make sure to check them out when there done.
 
Strongbad_2Z said:
The backflip definitely was the best part. Definitely still have some room to grow in reference to lighting and composition. This camera is an extremely powerful tool if things are lit correctly (which probably gave it the overall amateurish feel). Did you actually enter this into iOscars because wasn't that supposed to be edited ONLY on iMovie? Are you a Communications Major, or Media Arts? Good work, and I look forward to seeing other things from you.
Yeah, I did a 3 minute cut in iMovie (which I'm pretty ashamed of. It's nigh impossible to edit in iMovie) and right after I turned that in, I cut this in Final Cut. I'm working on the 8 minute directors cut right now. I'm a Technology Teacher Education major. High school film teaching baby. : )

And GoldenCam, I'm always up for a sick new action short. I'm there.
 
Canasian, great work for a small edit in Imovie! Did you do any CC? It seems that the girls shots where CC'd, but interior shots where kept the same... Any gain on those interior shots? I love the way people look with this camera. Its very good! You shot 720p, right?

The backflip was incredible! I also like the last shot where he runs for the ledge... But it would even look greater if you and the guy actually jumped and did this shot in slowmotion... :) (with all cables and security, of course) that would look simply spectacular!

(The main actor is not very good on his acting, tough... You should give him more directions- He should look tougher!)

Anyway, very cool, and, with proper post production, I believe you have a sellable movie!
 
SPZ said:
Canasian, great work for a small edit in Imovie! Did you do any CC? It seems that the girls shots where CC'd, but interior shots where kept the same... Any gain on those interior shots? I love the way people look with this camera. Its very good! You shot 720p, right?

Yes I shot 720p, no CC yet. Everything was in camera, the exterior shot with the girl were shot with heavy ND and had a 1/500 shutter, so that contributed to its look. No gain on those interior shots.
 
canasian said:
Yeah, I did a 3 minute cut in iMovie (which I'm pretty ashamed of. It's nigh impossible to edit in iMovie) and right after I turned that in, I cut this in Final Cut. I'm working on the 8 minute directors cut right now. I'm a Technology Teacher Education major. High school film teaching baby. : )

And GoldenCam, I'm always up for a sick new action short. I'm there.

So did you have to dump it to tape, then capture the footage in SD, or does iMovie support MXF files? I'm just curious at your workflow to iMovie. Nice incorporation of the Spam can though...very creative. Did you ever have a class taught by Glenn Andersen?
 
Strongbad_2Z said:
So did you have to dump it to tape, then capture the footage in SD, or does iMovie support MXF files? I'm just curious at your workflow to iMovie. Nice incorporation of the Spam can though...very creative. Did you ever have a class taught by Glenn Andersen?

I had to import the MXF into FCP which converted it to .mov then I dumped those into iMovie. And then the edits were so complex, that I had to edit a small sequence at a time, export that, and then do it again. Then at the end I brought all those sequences back in and put them together. It was a major pain.
And I've never taken a class form Glenn Andersen. What's he teach?
 
canasian said:
I had to import the MXF into FCP which converted it to .mov then I dumped those into iMovie. And then the edits were so complex, that I had to edit a small sequence at a time, export that, and then do it again. Then at the end I brought all those sequences back in and put them together. It was a major pain.
And I've never taken a class form Glenn Andersen. What's he teach?

I'm not sure of the exact class name but it's basically video production, whatever for Teaching Majors. I'm trying to convince him to get one of these cameras for my work...which would be dang sweet. We currently use a DVX100 and a DVCPro camera, so this would definitely replace both of them.
 
If you shot 720p, why is are some parts clearly interpolated? For example the scene where the main character is about to jump the roof. - The image has a lot of motion. The Interpolation is easy to see. - How come it's there?
 
Some nice stuff. The outdoor stuff, especially with the girl and during the fight scene, looks FAR better than the indoor stuff. That's not really surprising though since sunlight tends to look infinitly better than flourecents. Did you light any of the indoor stuff or did you completely use the practicals as lights? One trick I've found that makes things look much better in doors is to simply throw and extra light in to give you some contrast and definition. You can either just open a window and let sunlight stream in (which looks great but perhaps not the best idea here since it appears the indoor stuff was supposed to be at night) or just grab a 1k fernel or something, open it up all the way, and shine it accross the room. This will make a far more interesting key light and allow your flourecents to act as fill and help you avoid the flat look most interior scenes tend to have. You may also want to do some color correction to crush the blacks or just lower your master pedistal a lot when shooting.

Anyway, I'd love to see the director's cut when it's done.
 
I enjoyedthe teaser and I am interested in what the story will be like. It must be nice to have 15 actors with some apparent skill who are willing to work for free on a short with a budget approximately $100. Was it your goal to create a good video with as little budget as possible? You certainly have some nice equipment to use that costs thousands of dollars, how come your budget was so limited? Anways, job well done.

One last thing, over the 2 week shoot how were the crew and actors fed?
 
I enjoyedthe teaser and I am interested in what the story will be like. It must be nice to have 15 actors with some apparent skill who are willing to work for free on a short with a budget approximately $100. Was it your goal to create a good video with as little budget as possible? You certainly have some nice equipment to use that costs thousands of dollars, how come your budget was so limited? Anways, job well done.

One last thing, over the 2 week shoot how were the crew and actors fed?

Yes, we wanted to make the best no-budget action film possible. All the locations were free, the actors and crew were all volunteer. The only thing that cost us money were a few props, the box-truck, and the materials for the explosion at the end. The budget was limited really because I'm a poor college student whose program of study (Technology Education) happens to have an HVX. It's a nice setup really. We recouped the budget costs by winning a prize at a campus film festival, where it played to 3000 people.
Each shooting session only lasted about an hour, 2 hours max so that we could get away without buying everyone food. But after the festival, I took everyone out to lunch. All in all, I think it came out well for the time that we had (all of us were taking full class loads and working at the time) and I'll be putting the full 8 minute film online in the next week or so.
 
Totally impressive and I agree with any compliment handed above regarding the visuals.

This promo is very much driven by the music.

When the credits rolled I struggled to see the composer, but none. Who is it?

Erik
 
I thought that too, but it just looks like you can't right click save as. You can just left click and progressively download them though.

Very nice looking stuff.
 
Back
Top