Might we talk about what is GOOD in FCPX

dustylense

Veteran
Nothing about what FCPX doesn't have!

Just a post about what it is we like in FCPX and where we think the application is going.
 
Now that I have actually tried it and done some training. I'm really starting to like it. The organization features and meta data are amazing.
 
The speed controls are great. I love how I can change the speed of a clip in 10 different places, yet it remains one clip. So when I change an effect or filter, it applies it to everything, and I don't have to go through 10 separate clips.

I second the keywording/organization features, it really changes the way you go through source footage.

Fast background rendering, working with all sorts of file types right from the start, live effects previews are great.

Love having the surround sound options built right into the app.
 
Agreed on all points. Downloaded Steve Martin's ripple training course and really starting to love FCP X. While the program may have some limitations now, it's potential is enormous, and I'm certain the much needed pro updates are coming.

Love the background rendering, easy speed changes, magnetic timeline, media organizing tools, and was amazed to see that they finally added surround sound panning to FCP!

Like I said this program has huge potential. Let's learn while we wait for the updates. More and more I now believe what Apple said...FCP X is just the beginning.
 
Last edited:
I'm diving in as well with Steve Martin's rippletraining.com series.

I recommend it (no affiliation with the company) because it provides training materials as well as a series of tutorials designed to use the app and the training materials.

I have to admit that I'm NOT delighted with X, but it shows some good underpinnings. It is a different approach, however.
 
Last edited:
I'm trying to devour as much info as possible as I'm nearing a point where I have to make a decision. I think for photographers that are just getting into video via DSLR, fcp x is really the only way to go. It seems to be heads and shoulders above the rest if you are self contained which most probably are.
 
I'd also like to recommended Steve Martin's training. I started going through the tutorials last night and it's been quite an eye-opener of how powerful this program has the potential to be. I can deeply understand everyone's frustration with FCPX, but I'm trying to stick through the pain of completely reworking my entire workflow to learn this program. It's great for one-man DSLR work!
 
Native editing and easy sampling, downloading, and organization of clips - really leverages tapeless workflow. Only transcode what needs to be transcoded: Efficient! Seeing waveform with clip. I imagine enhancements will really accelerate with Lion OS X and Open GL. The Developer's version of Lion is now available which means 3rd Party vendors can start coding programs to augment FCPx with confidence.
 
Native editing and easy sampling, downloading, and organization of clips - really leverages tapeless workflow. Only transcode what needs to be transcoded: Efficient! Seeing waveform with clip. I imagine enhancements will really accelerate with Lion OS X and Open GL. The Developer's version of Lion is now available which means 3rd Party vendors can start coding programs to augment FCPx with confidence.
I agree. I have a feeling that Apple released FCPX as is because 1, they said it would be available in June at NAB and 2, they wanted to get it out there as people were jumping ship for CS5. If they had said at NAB that FCP was to be available "this summer", they might have held off until Lion was released. I think a lot of features will be unlocked when Lion is shipped. I'm sure there are plenty of companies already writing their code for plugs as we speak. I also think that Apple has decided to let 3rd parties do the leg work for FCPX's filters and peripheral support while Apple just releases updates relating to stability and functionality.
I bet we see Red Giant, AJA, Blackmagic, and all sorts of plugs in the NEAR future. Then once Lion is released, we will see the full functionality of monitor support and all the other goodies we have on our wish list.

Since the release, I have found that the "EDITING" part of FCPX is superb and has released the creative side of the process while letting FCPX do the tech side. I took a project I edited in FCP7 and re-worked it in FCPX and was blown away by the difference in the creative stimulation and interaction of FCPX.
I really love auditions. I can take a clip, grade it and then stack the same clip as an audition and do a alternate grade to choose between later.
The program is a week old today. So far me likey!!! Give FCPX some time for updates and plugs, and I'll be jumping for joy!!!!!
Edit on!
 
Looking forward to Sapphire Genarts & Magic Bullet being available for FCP X. Based on some rumors I think XML support is inevitably around the corner.

Hoping Lion brings fully versioning support to projects. FCP X needs a force "media reconnect" option. A couple other tweaks and interface items, such as minor things like adding "feather" back into the crop options for clips, etc.
 
It's so different I kinda like it. It's so clean and I respect the fact that they have made such bold changes. I'm a Vegas power user so i've been testing this guy on a friends Mac and so far so good. What I'm liking most is the organization goodies.
 
Back
Top