Micro four thirds lens for Stills of closed environments with many people

cuervo.taylor

Active member
What are the best Micro four thirds lens for shooting in closed environments? I want to take photos of people in a hospital I volunteer at so that is the closed environment I will be shooting sometimes rooms are full of people others not. And the hospital es well lit.

But I would also like a lens that permits me to shoot in low light what do you recommend me?

I'm super newb so please try to explain simple.

thanks to all.
 
I have a samsung TL500 camera that really is good for tight areas and low light. Available light and doing a white balance gets great results. Check into this camrea ... see if it meets your needs.
 
The Lumix lenses in general are well worth checking into. I'm more of a video guy than a stills guy, but I use the Lumix 14-140 zoom lens a lot and find it very good and versatile, both for interiors and outside. It is not the fastest lens however. I've also used the Lumix 20mm pancake and can recommend it.

The newer (and fast) Lumix 12-35 is getting absolutely rave reviews from those who bought it. I haven't been able to afford it yet however, so can't say from personal experience... Same with the wide-angle 7-14mm, which I also really want...

Then there's the Lumix 14, 14-42, 14-45..... Lots to consider and some of them very affordable. Hope this helps.
 
so norvan, basically I need a wide angle lens for shooting in closed environments.

I was considering the 7-14mm the only thing bothers me is it is not a good light lens...idk if I can work this out in post prod?
 
I was considering the 7-14mm the only thing bothers me is it is not a good light lens...idk if I can work this out in post prod?

The 7-14mm is f/4. I don't see you having trouble using that in a hospital -- they usually crank the lights in rooms, so you'll be fine. The bigger issue is that portraits of people aren't as attractive until you get into the 50mm-80mm range (or 25mm-40mm on GH3).
 
Well, the 7-14mm might be too limiting if it is the only lens you have in the bag. It's going to be entirely wide throughout the range, and so I would see it as a great back-up lens to one in a more regular range... In terms of shooting stills in lowlight, I suppose you'd be considering using a flash (or other illumination) in duller lighting conditions? In terms of fixing in post, I'm not a photoshop guy and so I'm not best placed to advise you about what is possible. I would say that a good general rule would be to get exposure right in camera (unless you really know what you're doing and are shooting with a specific workflow in mind).

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree with TheDingo on the lens recommendation. I'd go for faster versatile zooms if your budget extends that far and if you can only get one to start with, I'd say go with the 12-35 (because it is fast and on the wide side, good for taking in the larger sweep of a room, and it has the versatility of a zoom). The 35-100 would be the second purchase if you want to start heading more towards the portrait and telephoto side (and why wouldn't you want to?).

I love the (admittedly slow) 14-140mm zoom and wouldn't totally discount it either though. Affordable, versatile and auto-focuses (on my little GH1 anyway).

It might be helpful to others too if you tell us what camera you're using and the purpose of what you're shooting (for publication on the web, in print etc. or just for you).
 
GH3, first I want to learn about photography and in the long run I seek to self-publish a book.

Is there anything to have in mind when thinking about printing photos in books?
 
Back
Top