Metabones EF>E

atlfokus

Active member
I just received my Metabones adapter from the other side of the world and I must say, I'm impressed. Built like a rock and very minimal play if any when mounted.

I just tried throwing on a 35mm CP.2 to test it out and I found out that, the 700 can't display the firmware version and there is basically no communication with the lens. I'm assuming its due to
the CP.2 being a fully manual lens.

I'm still researching this adapter but I wanted to ask you guys if you had any tips or helpful hints for the initial setup, good things to know, etc.

fs700.jpg


Thanks!
 
I'm pretty sure that it's because there are no electronics in that lens. I have the Metabones 1 and 2 and they are both excellent and support IS powering on those EF lenses that have it as well as electronic aperture control from the FS100 or FS700. Other than being a bit careful using heavy lenses on the Metabones / FS combo without support, I've found the design of the Metabones is about as good as you could get. I wonder if ANY of the other adapter makers sold any EF-E mounts once the Metabones came out?
 
I'm having a bit of play between my Canon ef -lenses and the metabones Mark2 adapter, It mounts really solid into the fs700 camera body though. Anyone else having some play between the mount and the lens? Other than that it's a really great product.
 
I'm having a bit of play between my Canon ef -lenses and the metabones Mark2 adapter, It mounts really solid into the fs700 camera body though. Anyone else having some play between the mount and the lens? Other than that it's a really great product.

I have the same problem with my metabones. This play is extremely problematic when using long lenses and pulling focus.

I tested my 5d MarkII and it too has about the same amount of play, the lens moves around a little in the mount. I also tested the same lens on my old 5d and 350d and was truly surprised that there was no play on the older cameras. So i unscrewed the mount from my 350d and noticed that the three "ears" on the inside of the mount are about 1mm shorter on metabones that on old canon 350d. Other than that the mounts look pretty much the same. I could not measure any remarkable differences on the diameters.
It might be that canon has actually shortened those "ears" on their mount in recent years inorder to make it easier to fit tighter lenses because this play does not cause any issues when shooting photos. I did not have 5d markII at hand when i removed the mount so i could not compare it, but it had the same play, so i guess it also has shorter "ears". The eos mount is originally for still lenses, right?

I might just drill a few extra holes to my 350d's mount and screw it on my metabones. I just have to make sure that the flange does no change because it is pretty well on spot on the metabones adapter.

The best thing about is that it works with great third party lenses so i am not stuck with canons boring glass and bad zoom lenses that are always off on backfocus. I tested canons 70-200, 24-105 and 24-70 and they were all off on backfocus on every canon body that i have. NICE WORK CANON.

So due to that i was forced to switch to Zeiss, what a pity :)
 
I have the V1 Metabones and it does also have a bit of play, not enough to be of concern since I feel like the lens is still on pretty solid. All my lenses can hit infinity focus, so it does not seem to be an issue.

For those with the V2 and V1, does the V2 have more play than the V1? I'm thinking about getting a V2 just for the Bokeh issue.
 
I would presume that both v1 and v2 have the same mount. This play causes the biggest problems when using a follow focus on a long lens.

Where can i find examples on the bokeh problems?
 
The play can be fixed by putting a bit of paper between the mounts. Works for my novoflex which had a bit of play and my el cheapo ebay adapter that had loads of play. Obviously the more play the more layers of paper is involved.
 
We see the play too with our V2, especially with our Canon 70-200 2.8. Have put a lens support on the rails to solve it - but would rather not have to in the first place. I'll try the paper trick... But it's going to be annoying to always slide it in when changing the lens.
 
Would making a fairly thin sticker (think like inket mailing labels) to stick on the Metabones work as something to stay on? Or would it be too thick?
 
I actually didn't have much play at all with the CP.2, was very pleased. I feel like Metabones should include a body cap, not a fan of keeping it open when not in use. I'm assuming a regular Canon body cap should fit, no?

Edit: Indeed it fits like it should.
 
I actually didn't have much play at all with the CP.2, was very pleased. I feel like Metabones should include a body cap, not a fan of keeping it open when not in use. I'm assuming a regular Canon body cap should fit, no?

Edit: Indeed it fits like it should.

I actually just keep the Metabones on the body in the case and use a Canon body cap as I would use the Sony body cap.
 
Back
Top