No doubt this has been covered before. My apologies, I just can't search right now. If I'm shooting in SD with the HVX200, can I match it perfectly (or near) with the DVX100B? Any issues at all?
You can match it quite well, but it does take a little effort. If you're shooting 4:3 they'll deliver comparable sharpness but you'll have to tweak the settings; I don't remember everything I did to get 'em to match but at the bare minimum I remember running MP at -4 on the HVX and -8 on the DVX to get them comparable.
In 16:9 there's not much you can do, the HVX is going to be much sharper than the DVX. You can still tweak them to match color and contrast, but there's no way they'll compare in sharpness.
Thanks Barry. As per your book, I've decided to go letterbox with the DVX. I guess it would have been redundant to put a letterbox on the HVX's 4:3 mode. I wonder if there's some workaround here. When you are in 4:3 on the HVX, does it add black bars to the side on the viewfinder and lcd? Would it make sense to mask the lcd (with electrical tape, for instance) for preview a post-added letterbox? I guess the image would start to get very small. Why all this trouble? I can get an HVX through a film co-op for a good rate, cheaper than another DVX.
Hmmm... I know nothing about the HVX. Does it squeeze the picture to make it 4:3, like the DVX squeezes to make it 16:9? Or does it simply not record on the whole ccd? And just so I understand you, if I take the DVX and letterbox it, and shoot the HVX in 4:3 mode and letterbox that, if I play with some settings, I can get a fairly conistent look between them.