Locked Out Sketch

This was shot on a DVX? Maybe it's your export settings, but this looks awful, very lofi, I would have thought it was shot on a regular consumer camera. I'm listening on laptop speakers but it also seemed mixed sort of poorly; the rain was too loud (and sounded too much like TV static, or maybe that was your mic?) and I couldn't tell if the music was meant to be background music or whether it was coming from the stoner guy's apartment...

Re the sketch itself, pretty well acted I thought, but the idea didn't really seem to go anywhere. "You let go, right on," could be a punchline, but you didn't really set it up very well so the whole thing just seemed sort of random.
 
Yea it was shot on the DVX100, I did a bit of CC on it to boost the brightness which is why there's a lot of noise because of the light lost due to the Redrock Micro m2. It might also be due to compression settings, I'm still trying to get exporting as 2.40:1 aspect ratio exported properly out of FCP. Yea the audio was the main problem that I had, because I didn't have a long enough XLR cable to use the shotgun mic with a boom pole, so wasn't able to get good enough audio from the actors and picked up a lot of the rain. Since one of my actors spoke a bit too softly so I had to bump that up. I don't the right equipment to ADR properly, without wasting a tape to redo the audio, a condenser mic is definitely on my list of things to get for post production audio. yea the music was suppose to be coming from the stoner guys house, I added some reverb to make it sound more like it was coming from the guys house. I'm still a novice when it comes to mixing audio though, still have a lot to learn.

Thanks for the feedback you've given me something to work towards, I definitely have a lot a head of me. I'm going to keep filming so that I can get better at it.
 
Indeed, just keep shooting man. I've got a long way to go myself, but the best way I know to progress is just to keep making movies.
 
Sound is horrible.

Plot is dumb (he could piss anywhere, and it's fricking raining anyway).

Lighting -- noise is bad, but could be the compression.

Don't record sound with camera's mic. Don't record sound with music blaring; you add it later. Get a directional mic pointed at the actors.
 
Back
Top