Lighting or Editing Monitor

mackfilm

Well-known member
So I am at a crossroads.....I'm ready to add to my camera gear and editing setup. This is what I have:

What I currently Own:
-250gb hard drive
-macbookpro
-tripod
-dvx100b
-lens filter
-camera case
-cleaning kit

What I want:

-external flat screen monitor for editing
-lighting equipment
-dvx100 backpack
-any neat gizmos
-anything you recommend

I have 190 bucks to spend....what do you recommend me to buy?
 
$190 will not get you far in the lighting world. As far as suggestions, I guess it depends on what type of work you are doing. In almost all cases I'd say you need to save up a little more and start getting audio gear.
 
Lights. Absolutely. Video / Film is just capturing light. That's it. Over simplifying, perhaps but if you have a poorly lit scene it won't matter how accurate your monitor is. I know a lot of people will scoff at cheaper light kits, but getting creative with gaffer tape and cardboard can turn a cheap kit into a nice stop gap setup until you can afford a more proffesional set. Here's an inexpensive set that has a few extras.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/298604-REG/Impact_401470_Tungsten_Miniboom_3_Flood.html
 
First off, keep saving money.

My advice is find someone in your area who already has a good kit and team up with them. I'm not sure what you are shooting (films, corporate vids, commercials) Maybe you could clarify?

When you save up a considerable amount more money, get some Arri fresnels. Don't skimp out and buy some junky lights you're just going to outgrow.

Or find someone you can contract to do your lighting. My two cents.
 
Logan300, that kit you offered is defienetly a deal. Only problem is I live in Japan and shipping can be expensive.

But with your guys help, I've narrowed it down to either buying Audio or Lighting Equipment.

Right now I am mainly doing studio work, so i am leaning towards the lights.
 
Back
Top