simonpwood
Well-known member
So what are the legal issues I should know about if I want to write a screenplay based on recent events, where many of the people involved in the event are still alive?
The event in question happened within the last 20 years; it involved a lot of victims, some who were held hostage and some who were killed. Some escaped, and others were let free. A number of the perpetrators were killed, a few were captured, while most remain at large and anonymous.
The event was newsworthy at the time, and a book had been written about the event as seen by one of the victims (his story is largely irrelevant to the angle I am looking at, though clearly as one of the victims his 'character' would have to appear in one form or another, though this would be incidental to the event).
The 2 movies 'Munich' and 'United 93' are similar in nature to my conundrum. They both involve real events of recent history that involve a large number of people, both victims and perpetrators, many of whom are still alive, and many who were killed in the event. How would the screenwriter legally be able to depict both the living and the dead in these events? In some cases people were depicted in a negative manner; what would the leal issues be there? Defamation / Slander?
I note that many movies that start with the 'Based on real event' tag, also have the "Any resemblance to real persons living or dead are purely coincidental" tag at the end; does this allow them to get around not having the people sign releases?
Is simply changing the names, creating composite characters etc, the best way forward?
Or is it better to just write it the way I want, and in the unlikely event that I sell the script then I just let the buyer worry about all the legalties?
Thanks for reading!
The event in question happened within the last 20 years; it involved a lot of victims, some who were held hostage and some who were killed. Some escaped, and others were let free. A number of the perpetrators were killed, a few were captured, while most remain at large and anonymous.
The event was newsworthy at the time, and a book had been written about the event as seen by one of the victims (his story is largely irrelevant to the angle I am looking at, though clearly as one of the victims his 'character' would have to appear in one form or another, though this would be incidental to the event).
The 2 movies 'Munich' and 'United 93' are similar in nature to my conundrum. They both involve real events of recent history that involve a large number of people, both victims and perpetrators, many of whom are still alive, and many who were killed in the event. How would the screenwriter legally be able to depict both the living and the dead in these events? In some cases people were depicted in a negative manner; what would the leal issues be there? Defamation / Slander?
I note that many movies that start with the 'Based on real event' tag, also have the "Any resemblance to real persons living or dead are purely coincidental" tag at the end; does this allow them to get around not having the people sign releases?
Is simply changing the names, creating composite characters etc, the best way forward?
Or is it better to just write it the way I want, and in the unlikely event that I sell the script then I just let the buyer worry about all the legalties?
Thanks for reading!