Lacking sound at the end of split files.

Alexander Store

New member
Hi! I've had my FS700 for a while now but I just noticed that when I import the .mts files into premiere pro CS6 all the video wit ha clean cut from clip to clip but there is 1 or more seconds of sound lacking ? Why is this ?

I mean i just paid 8770€ for a camera, it should be able to handle basic sound right? can't it buffer that to?

Didn't find any info on this on the web...
 
It is almost certainly because you're importing the .mts files into Premiere CS6 directly, instead of using the proper import procedure. You must NOT just import .MTS files from any AVCHD camcorder, or you will encounter exactly the problem you're describing.

The fact of the matter is that your camera is recording the sound perfectly properly. It is incumbent upon you to import the footage properly so that the NLE has all the right information available to it. Importing .MTS files does *not* do that. What you have to do is use the "Media Browser" to import your footage. Import through the Media Browser and you'll almost guaranteed find that your footage is all there, your spanned clips are properly linked together, and there will be no gaps in your audio.

In short, the footage is fine, it's the way you're importing it that is causing a problem, and if you import it the proper way, the problem will disappear.
 
Editing this whole post, sorry.

I tried the method in the sticky above. Imported the entire "Private" folder from the SD Card to my desktop. Renamed that whole folder to something that fit my project, in this case "Bioshock."

In Premiere Pro CS6 Media Browser, i opened the Bioshock folder. Then the AVCHD folder. Yet nothing appears in the window there. I have "View as AVCHD" checked. Nothing. Yet if i view as "File Directory" i can see the .mts files and such.

Not sure what could be wrong.
 
Last edited:
You can't rename the private folder! Rename it back to PRIVATE. If you want the name Bioshock, make a new directory and put PRIVATE within it, so it becomes c:\Bioshock\PRIVATE.
 
In Premiere Pro CS6 Media Browser, i opened the Bioshock folder. Then the AVCHD folder. Yet nothing appears in the window there.

As soon as you open "Bioshock", the clips should appear in the window as long as "View as: AVCHD" is set. So I'm not sure what the issue is. Did you alter anything inside the Bioshock folder? Maybe try importing again? And make sure that you don't change ANYTHING underneath "PRIVATE".

You can't rename the private folder! Rename it back to PRIVATE. If you want the name Bioshock, make a new directory and put PRIVATE within it, so it becomes c:\Bioshock\PRIVATE.

Barry, I'm not sure what the issue would be with that...? My understanding (which could be wrong) is that PRIVATE is above the level of the AVCHD structure, and so fair game to rename. That's certainly how I've done it, I don't know how many dozens of times, and with no problem.

So I have:

-> Bioshock (using Chad's example)
-- -> AVCHD
-- -- -> BDMV
-- -- -- -> CLIPINF
-- -- -- -> PLAYLIST
-- -- -- -> STREAM

etc.
 
In my experience, the PRIVATE folder is an inherent part of the AVCHD structure. This dates back to 2004 when P2 first came out, and all the files were stored in PRIVATE... the programs needed to keep all the files within the PRIVATE folder in order for it to all work. Maybe CS6 makes an exception, I don't know, I don't have CS6, but I do know that changing the folder name has caused problems in other programs, and you don't really gain anything by changing the name; just keep the PRIVATE directory intact, and if you want to put it within a named folder, go ahead -- just keep it intact...
 
I wonder if for some reason i don't have the right codec to recognize the footage as AVCHD? I've been importing the .mts files right in for months now and working with those. I render out as H.264 MP4.

I re-imported from the SD Card, even kept the name of the folder "PRIVATE." Didn't change anything.

I open it in media browser. When i click "PRIVATE" i then see "AVCHD" and "SONY" folders viewed as "file directory". I can click the AVCHD folder and view it as AVCHD, but no files do show up in the browser. Seems like they're not being read for some reason.
 
... I do know that changing the folder name has caused problems in other programs, and you don't really gain anything by changing the name; just keep the PRIVATE directory intact, and if you want to put it within a named folder, go ahead...

Ahh, thanks. I know some camcorders don't even create PRIVATE, which is why I thought it was an added-on container above the AVCHD, and I guess Premiere doesn't care anyhow. But I can see how other S/W can make different assumptions. I'll change the sticky thread instructions.
 
I open it in media browser. When i click "PRIVATE" i then see "AVCHD" and "SONY" folders viewed as "file directory". I can click the AVCHD folder and view it as AVCHD, but no files do show up in the browser. Seems like they're not being read for some reason.

Sorry, Chad, I'm totally baffled. It seems you're doing exactly what I do, and I've never had a problem. I can only suggest checking that your copy of CS6 is up to date. There are no extra codecs required for AVCHD.

The one other thing you can try is what I used to do -- within your project folder, right-click on PRIVATE, or whatever you've renamed it to, and select "Import". For me (and I always renamed it) this will import all the footage in that folder. You will get a warning about some of the files being unrecognised, just ignore it.

BTW, when you say "... but no files do show up in the browser" -- you mean, there are no mini-previews shown in the right-hand pane? In AVCHD mode, it doesn't show the files, just previews.
 
BTW, when you say "... but no files do show up in the browser" -- you mean, there are no mini-previews shown in the right-hand pane? In AVCHD mode, it doesn't show the files, just previews.

Yeah, no previews show up. The browser looks empty.

Well, i'll try another batch some time soon and continue to look in to it. I'll post here if i sort it out and what the problem was! It's got to work, it makes sense!
 
Wait -- are you using a trial copy of CS6? If so, the h.264 codec may not be installed... you may have to be running a full, registered version, in case you're not...
 
Wait -- are you using a trial copy of CS6? If so, the h.264 codec may not be installed... you may have to be running a full, registered version, in case you're not...

Yeah, it's the full bought and paid for edition of CS6. Now if you would have asked me a couple of years ago.... :beer:
 
Well, I kind of hate to suggest this, because it's a major hassle and if it goes wrong it might leave you even worse off. But I've had problems, and seen other people having problems, where Premiere didn't install properly, and there were bits missing. I think this can happen particularly if you have the trial version and then upgrade.

So you might try un-installing all the Adobe stuff completely, and then re-installing it. I have done this in the past, and it did fix some problems for me. But like I said, it might also leave you completely messed up, so be careful! In particular make sure you have EVERYTHING you need to re-install (keys, DVDs, etc.) before you start. If your product is a version upgrade, you will need keys and/or DVDs for the previous version(s) too. Note that if you install from DVDs, you will then need to download all the updates since the DVDs were made, so you'll need a fast internet connection whatever.

Also you might need to de-activate the product before un-installing, just for safety if nothing else. You only have 1 or 2? activations to play with.

Then again maybe you should try other avenues before attempting anything this drastic...
 
I just tested it out with brand new clips and a new project. Seemed to work just fine. Not sure what was wrong with the old project or footage! I've yet to try it on a long clip that was spit by the camera, but hope to soon. Just wanted to give a quick update, thanks for the all the help, guys.
 
Back
Top