Killer Instinct, microsoft paint wonders!

here's a thought for you smashedburrito, i actually chuckled alot at the MS paint drawings in the beginning and it reminded me of a film i saw that told a completely story via VO over scans of a children's book about a horse. It was hilarious, and i think you could probably pull off the same sort of humor with the MS paint drawings and using a sarcastic VO, might be a fun little side project!

I look forward to more stuff in the future, be here Nov 11 and get started right away on the next fest!
 
Actually, I would have liked to seen the entire short done in paint shop. It made your story totally unique and I listened more intently with the drawings than I did with the live actors. Keep up the good ideas.
 
smashedburrito,
The mspaint images really helped the film. They contributed a really post-modern feel. Maybe in the future if you used the technique again and had it more tightly coupled to the story as more of a device it'd work even better. Definitely made the movie feel "bigger".

Good one.
 
hahaha wow you guys like my mspaint footage more than my A1 footage. I guess I wasted some money...

Thanks for the encouragement though. I had a lot of fun drawing everything in paint because it could look weird and goofy. I didn't even have time to draw all the images I wanted, or else there would have been even more variety.

I was actually inspired by a short I saw at the Baltimore 48 hour film project. The guy was a painter so he did all these watercolors and then took pictures of them and made a childrens story kind of feel. It turned out really well and I remembered it when i got short on time.

Thanks for watching everyone and I am looking forward to the next fest.
 
Hey smashburrito,

I really like the story quite a bit. The shots were decent, but I think some of the color correction brought some of it down.

The paint intercut scenes were alright, but I think I would have preferred A1 footage...though some will disagree :).

Your story was told in an interesting way but I think you could have chosen some better shots to show it.

Such as when the guy grabs the girl at the end...first, the other two people were so close by they would have definitely heard her yell. It would have been good to have him follow her maybe a little bit to build a little more tension. Or maybe have her walk a little more alone before he jumps her.

One thing though with the ending is what is he going to do to her...kill her and eat her or is it a sexual thing? I'm not sure if that would connect well with his "wilderness" instincts because he can go get a burger to eat in the city and he wasn't hunting for sexual things in the wilderness.

Maybe a little more explaination but I know you were rushed because of getting the actors and time and such. I think you have something here with a little more development.

Laters,
Ando
 
Andoguru,
Thanks for all the feedback. I agree that some of the shots could have been better. I bit off more than I could chew with this one. I was trying to direct and Dp which didn't go well because I love working with the actors most so I kind of just improvised the shots. Next fest I am working with a friend here at school who will be able to handle all the tech stuff. The end scene turned out pretty terrible in my opinion. I just didn't know how to translate what I wanted to see to the screen. But I learned a lot so it was worth it.

As for the ending I kind of want to leave it up to the viewers imagination. I didn't want to make a gruesome kind of Hallows Fest entry, I wanted to try something different cause horror isn't really my thing. I wanted to explore the idea that in certain situations your body adapts to do what it has to to survive. But then what happens when the body can't get rid of those instincts? I wanted to leave it up to the viewers imagination to see what James does to the girl at the end. I kind of just want it to be the chilling idea that whatever it is, he isn't exactly in control.

Thanks for all the feedback though, I really enjoyed Meat.

Billy Pilgrim,
That Olde English Sketch is awesome. I wish mine had some animation like that, but I was a little lazy.
 
Back
Top