JVC Repair Service Nightmare

TimG

New member
Hello all,

I just wanted to document a horror story about trying to get my 20" JVC HD/SD monitor repaired. Hopefully some of you will heed my warning and think twice about buying a JVC product in the future.

First of all, when the monitor went down and you call JVC customer service, there is no one at JVC you can talk to that is directly involved at the repair factory. It is blatantly obvious that their phone tree is designed to prevent you from talking to a real person. After a 1/2 hour of getting disconnected, pushing option numbers, being put on-hold and punching in personal info, I landed at a message that gives you an address to mail in your repair. . . . That's it. No one actually talks to you. No RMA number. You aren't given even a contact name and number that you can put on the shipping label. Just an address. Well considering I was mailing off a $6k piece of hardware I wasn't going to mail it blind. Who the hell would you call if it didn't show up or even if it did? Finally, after bitching to customer service for literally 3 days I got someone at their repair shop to call me - they wouldn't let me call them directly because they didn't want to reveal the number. They said the repair shop didn't take incoming calls. When I talked to the guy, he was kind enough to give me his phone number and email. Looks like they do have a phone system.

Two weeks after they received the monitor I had yet to be contacted about the repair so I called the man whose number I had to fight to get and he told me that it was going to cost $585 to repair and that a replacement circuit board had to be shipped in from Japan. He had no idea how long it would take to receive the board or do the repair. He assured me that "someone at JVC would contact me when the repair was finished".

It's been a month now, no contact from anyone. I have no idea how much longer I'll have to wait. I edit with my little 9" field monitor and it's a serious pain in the ass.

Now I could understand this kind of customer service if we were talking about a $400 consumer VCR- mass production, mass repairs but this monitor with input cards retails for over $6,000! It's a broadcast product for use in a professional environment. Minimal turn-around time on repairs is crucial in our industry. Sony knows it. So does Panasonic. These companies have systems in place to deal with broadcast product repairs. Obviously JVC doesn't.

I own over $100,000 in broadcast equipment. I'm planning to spend another $40,000 on new gear in the next 6 months. I WILL NEVER, NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM JVC AGAIN.

Tim
 
When will companies realize that a fraction of their long term success is in the products themselves, and the rest lies in how they treat and service their customers?

Trust me when I say I feel your pain.
I hope it all gets resolved sooner rather than later.
Good luck.
 
TimG,
I had OK luck with my HD100 and upgrading it at the Cypress CA location.
I must admit, it was a task to get to the right department, but once you know the direct number, life is a lot easier.

There's a recent post at dvinfo regarding a user giving up having his BR-HD50 HDV deck fixed. JVC told him over $2,000.00 to fix it, YES he wrote $2,000.00. That's close to what he paid for it. He is so pisssed he offered if anyone wanted it for $50 to get it out of hock from JVC, they can have it!

Hmmm.
These are not the first threads i've seen about JVC's service.
I do not expect any more JVC purchases in my future.

This is scary stuff man.
 
Yeah, I posted my HD100 horror story here too. Hey! This is likely way scarier than anything people are doing for the Halloween contest. If only my camera wasn't being repaired, I could shoot this and win!
 
JVC issues? You don't even know the half of it...!!!

JVC issues? You don't even know the half of it...!!!

Well guys,
I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with JVC but for my sake, it's nice to know that there are others like me out there. I have an HD 100U (A model) that has been a pain in my ass since i purchased it. I can't get into the story right this minute, but I will post my drama tomorrow after work. Stay tuned....
 
Back
Top