Just ordered my Mac Pro!

Grug

Veteran
Argh! feeling kinda funny, haven't spent this much money on one thing since I bought my car!

Just ordered:

Mac Pro - Quad 2.66GHz processors, ATI x1900xt graphics card, 1gb RAM, 250gb HDD, 3yr Applecare, 20" Apple Display (the monitor's not for me though :( )


...all for the spare-change price of $5,000 AUD! :eek: and I haven't even ordered the extra RAM i'm gonna need.


I'm about to pop over to Apple.com to order Final Cut Studio 2 as well (thank god for student discounts!) still, another $1,050 AUD isn't small change either.

Wish me luck, I've got no excuses to stop me from creating zero-budget masterpieces anymore! :thumbsup:





....oh yeah, Photoshop and After Effects.... *SIGH*......goodbye bank account, it was nice knowing you.
 
Don't worry when you get it you will be happy with it. Ive got the 3Ghz Quad and Ive since been told the difference from the 2.66 isnt actually worth it - not sure if its true but thats from more than one source with multiple set ups.

Worst thing is Im still waiting for FCS2 here in Tokyo :S
 
ncje said:
Don't worry when you get it you will be happy with it. Ive got the 3Ghz Quad and Ive since been told the difference from the 2.66 isnt actually worth it - not sure if its true but thats from more than one source with multiple set ups.

Worst thing is Im still waiting for FCS2 here in Tokyo :S


With FCS 2's apps relying so heavily on the graphics card, I'd be inclined to pass on the 3 Ghz Quads, and go with the two dual cores and a beefy graphics card.

Considering they have the same 1.33 ghz frontside bus, I can always drop some quad procs in later if I ever feel the need. (And they're cheaper. :))
 
Maybe, but optioning it with the x1900xt means it'll take three weeks to get to me rather than a few business days. :( Though I read on the apple.com site and on quite a few websites that the cards run REALLY hot and if you're doing lots of gpu intensive work (playing WoW seems to be the main culprit) they eventually burn themselves out completely!

Now I don't play video games much anymore, but does anyone have any experience of this? It's pretty much solely responsible for me forking out an extra $350 for applecare.
 
memory can be a little tricky I've found, random kernal panics. Might want to consider Crucial if you are not buying from Apple
 
Well everyone here in Australia wants at least $250 per gig of RAM! so my plan is to order 4Gb (2x2Gb) from either OWC or DMS (DataMem) in the states for half of that price. Then run the 2Gb modules alongside the 512Mb modules as two sets of matched pairs.

Does anyone here have any experience with OWS or DMS? People on the Mac Forums I've visited seem to recommend them.

...5Gb of RAM - that's fives times what I'm running my PC on at the moment!
 
I run crucial in all my machines here (about 7 machines). NEVER had an issue with it and their support is top notch.
 
I had to send back two orders of OWC 1 GB modules. They are now sending me 2 2GB modules which they say they have had much less trouble with. Hopefully this will do the trick. If not I will go crucial which I am kicking myself for not doing in the first place. But OWC has been very standup about this and I want to give them the chance to get this straight.
 
Hey Guys,

Rocketeer over at the Reduser boards just brought it to my attention that the deal I'm getting ($40 cheaper than Edu price for retail Mac Pro and Display) expires on the 9th of June - 2 days before WWDC starts on the 11th.

Should I take the deal or hold out for WWDC announcements?​

For the sake of just $40 savings over buying it at education prices, perhaps I should cancel the order and hold off for another two weeks - if there are no important changes to the Mac Pro/Display, then I'll pick it up for $40 more with my education discount.

What'd you guys think?
 
Grug said:
Hey Guys,

Rocketeer over at the Reduser boards just brought it to my attention that the deal I'm getting ($40 cheaper than Edu price for retail Mac Pro and Display) expires on the 9th of June - 2 days before WWDC starts on the 11th.

Should I take the deal or hold out for WWDC announcements?​

For the sake of just $40 savings over buying it at education prices, perhaps I should cancel the order and hold off for another two weeks - if there are no important changes to the Mac Pro/Display, then I'll pick it up for $40 more with my education discount.

What'd you guys think?


Displays? Maybe. They are due in the near future. Mac Pros? Maybe. Heck even the idea of quad procs across the line minus the "bottom" machine isn't so "out there."
 
Last edited:
Grug said:
Hey Guys,

Rocketeer over at the Reduser boards just brought it to my attention that the deal I'm getting ($40 cheaper than Edu price for retail Mac Pro and Display) expires on the 9th of June - 2 days before WWDC starts on the 11th.

Should I take the deal or hold out for WWDC announcements?​

For the sake of just $40 savings over buying it at education prices, perhaps I should cancel the order and hold off for another two weeks - if there are no important changes to the Mac Pro/Display, then I'll pick it up for $40 more with my education discount.

What'd you guys think?

I've been holding off upgrading my main G5 for a month now waiting for WWDC. I'm even holding off installing FCP2 that's been sitting on my desk for the better part of a week now for a new box.
Unless you really need a mac right now, most macoids will suggest you hold off.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

DDP
 
Alrighty, order cancelled - bring on an upgrade to the Mac Pro of some kind WWDC.... preferably 2Gb RAM as standard and new graphics cards that don't burn themselves out!
 
Grug said:
Alrighty, order cancelled - bring on an upgrade to the Mac Pro of some kind WWDC.... preferably 2Gb RAM as standard and new graphics cards that don't burn themselves out!

Good idea, wait till WWDC.
 
I was thinking about this thread today when I noticed that an upgrade has been made to the macbook pro.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/05mbp.html

Why wouldnt they have held this another 6 days if there were to be other major announcements to chhanges to the mac pro series. I dont think mac pro will be updated much more than what they have done to the macbook pro. The Mac pro was only released late last year and more recently the 8 cores. Just my take on it. Never can tell though.
 
ncje said:
I was thinking about this thread today when I noticed that an upgrade has been made to the macbook pro.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/05mbp.html

Why wouldnt they have held this another 6 days if there were to be other major announcements to chhanges to the mac pro series. I dont think mac pro will be updated much more than what they have done to the macbook pro. The Mac pro was only released late last year and more recently the 8 cores. Just my take on it. Never can tell though.

The Macbook Pro was updated this week due to the Eduational Offering Deal about the Free iPod Nano from Apple as an insentive to buy a new laptop.

As for the Mac Pro's, they need a graphics card update badly. Same for the iMac's (also need processors and Ram). The Macbook Pro's have the new Nvidia HD 8000 series chips, so I imagine they will also make their way into the other systems very soon. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated, only another option added (the 8-Core) since it came out. Just a guess though.

I expect the iMac update to be more relevant though, since even the Macbook Pro now is faster than it.
 
KingsReign said:
The Macbook Pro was updated this week due to the Eduational Offering Deal about the Free iPod Nano from Apple as an insentive to buy a new laptop.

As for the Mac Pro's, they need a graphics card update badly. Same for the iMac's (also need processors and Ram). The Macbook Pro's have the new Nvidia HD 8000 series chips, so I imagine they will also make their way into the other systems very soon. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated, only another option added (the 8-Core) since it came out. Just a guess though.

I expect the iMac update to be more relevant though, since even the Macbook Pro now is faster than it.

Yes, agreed there you'd expect the imacs to be brought into line. Graphics card update to macpro would be good (even though I just got mine), Id consider the upgrade.
 
That's what I'm holding out for. If there isn't it's no big deal, I'll just order my Mac Pro with a student discount and it'll end up costing pretty much the same as it would have if I'd bought it retail with the display on special.

It's only another 5 days.
 
Well looks like WWDC was really about software announcements this year. Probably the reason they announced the mac bookpro update earlier. Makes sense I guess since this is a developer convention. Based on that I think the next mac pro upgrades may coincide with the release of Leopard in October.
 
Bummer, looks like you should have kept your order. I was also holding out for WWDC, and am a bit disappointed that the pro stuff didn't even see a graphics update (yet one MUST be coming to be competitive on the "video game" thing)

Who plays games on a mac anyway? Who cares? Totally lame in my opinion.

Anyhow, I just ordered a 2.66 with the ATI card and ordered 4 x 1GB or RAM through Trans International for under $400.

Says it should ship this week and MAYBE be delivered Friday, most likely next week though with my luck.

New zombie flick coming SOON...
 
Back
Top