Jello or wrong shutter?

sunburst

Well-known member
Is this Jello?

Do you see these jumping, sort of stair step breaks in the image?

I get these kind of jumping lines on moving shots on my HV20
also.


Is this Jello? Or is it shooting at wrong shutter speed?



5DMK2 dolly test.

http://vimeo.com/2864431

thanks!

Ps: anyone have anymore moving footage links? { I see lots of STATIC 5DMK2 shots on the web - lol }
 
I don't see any jello at all. The only thing i see is some sort of problem with the 24p conversion. Looks like what happens when you take 30p footage, and drop it into a 24p timeline, something funky with the pulldown or what not, makes it choppy.

otherwise, nice dolly!
 
My gut reaction is 24p conversion as well. However, that effect can also be created while panning using an Image stabilized lens with IS on. That may not be true of all IS lenses but I definitely get that effect on my 28-135.
 
Oh okay!

forgot about that. yeah, your losing about 25 percent of frames so going to be gaps. wow. this is a serious issue. I really would like to see detailed MOTION footage with conversion { Kholi? }. and workarounds. { however, I dont
think its posted that the footage was 30 to 24 though, right? }

I've seen some beautiful footage by pro lensers. but hardly any moving footage.

it's like theres a new DOGMA 2009.

1 shoot with Canon 5DII
2 NEVER move camera.

lol
 
If its conformed to 24 there should be no issue other then shutter speed you may have used which will give it more of a judder if too high. If you interpolate then it really depends on which way you did it. AE's pixel blend works very well. Compressor or Shake are supposed to work well also.

this was a test I did few months ago and theres abit of movement there... not much http://www.vimeo.com/4459596 it was conformed to 24.

grab and watch the original file as its pretty smooth.
 
Last edited:
Oh okay!

forgot about that. yeah, your losing about 25 percent of frames so going to be gaps. wow. this is a serious issue. I really would like to see detailed MOTION footage with conversion { Kholi? }. and workarounds. { however, I dont
think its posted that the footage was 30 to 24 though, right? }

I've seen some beautiful footage by pro lensers. but hardly any moving footage.

it's like theres a new DOGMA 2009.

1 shoot with Canon 5DII
2 NEVER move camera.

lol

Hey Burst,

I did some human motion, Pixel Blend to 24p (actually Sam B at Rainfall did it) and it looked wonderful. The jello, however, cannot be helped. By RED and GH-1 standards it's bad. However, you CAN move the camera. Just have to use wider glass and plan your movements out a bit more.

I'm with you, by the way. There's a lack of lots of moving footage around. Hopefully that changes.
 
so then the Mark 2's jellow is between the D90 and RED? More on one side than the other?
 
so then the Mark 2's jellow is between the D90 and RED? More on one side than the other?

D90 side. I don't know if it's just more pronounced because of the larger sensor or what.

But 1080 from GH1 and 1080 from MKii, same lens, same focal lengths, same ISO and Shutter the MKii has a pretty heavy gangsta lean.

Doesn't make it as bad as D90, though. D90 is like THE worst example of Jello on the planet perhaps. LoL
 
heh, cool cool. i guess i would need to play around with one to make up my mind. lol, of course there is always something that stunts the cam and makes it difficult for me to make up my mind! grr
 
heh, cool cool. i guess i would need to play around with one to make up my mind. lol, of course there is always something that stunts the cam and makes it difficult for me to make up my mind! grr


There isn't a single perfect one out there. Even RED has it's flaws. S'why they're bringing Epic and Scarlet.

The MKii is still incredible at it's price point. I know there'll be some great cinematics coming from the camera. I'll keep mines for sure!
 
as soon as i have the whole 24p thing figured out im getting one.

i'd buy one now, im just wondering if they will release the cam before the end of august with the 24p built in, or if i buy my cam now, will i have to send it in when 24p becomes available? Any insight?
 
Thanks for the link. The DeShaker does a pretty good job, especially for web content.

Foundry's method is probably going to help a lot. Hopefully, though, everyone can get up to the RED adn GH-1's level of Jello Control in the next iterations of cameras.
 
Hey Burst,

I did some human motion, Pixel Blend to 24p (actually Sam B at Rainfall did it) and it looked wonderful. The jello, however, cannot be helped. By RED and GH-1 standards it's bad. However, you CAN move the camera. Just have to use wider glass and plan your movements out a bit more.

I'm with you, by the way. There's a lack of lots of moving footage around. Hopefully that changes.

thanks. Yes looking forward to seeing some moving shots / links.

also links to the WORST jello examples.
 
as soon as i have the whole 24p thing figured out im getting one.

i'd buy one now, im just wondering if they will release the cam before the end of august with the 24p built in, or if i buy my cam now, will i have to send it in when 24p becomes available? Any insight?

No idea. Pappas seems to be most in touch with the LA underground.
Someone there knows for sure.
 
thanks. Yes looking forward to seeing some moving shots / links.

also links to the WORST jello examples.

I ran into a shot on vimeo or youtube taken with a 5D from a helicopter and the jello was unbelievable. The harmonic from the helicopter combined with the movement and produced some truely cheese soup inducing effects. Of course I can't find it now.

tl;dr, apparently one of these hanging off of your 5D fixes all problems automagically.

http://www.aerialimage.com/store/in...&ref=ks8&sid=s4407lg8995972am4zy406e8d6fghi15

However, this guy pulled it off ...

http://www.vimeo.com/3465024 ...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top