Ive made my decision

AllAroundFilmLV

Well-known member
Ive been tossing back and forth between what camera I am going to purchase in March. a dvx100 or a dvc80. after much thought, I am going to go with the dvc80. 24p I dont really care about, and the dvc80's I have found online are about $600 cheaper than a 100A, which will leave about a half a grand to play around with in accessories (more specifically a light kit.).

The only way I think I will change my mind is if a nice 100A pops up on here in March for the same price and low hrs, which is almost never. Im excited.
 
DVC80's been discontinued for around three years now. It would be very surprising if anyone actually had any new ones in stock. Where are you seeing these?
 
sorry, did I say I found new ones? I didnt, the one I found only had 82 hrs on it though. Barry, do you know why DVC80's are so hard to come by?
 
There were very few made. It was only offered for a short while; I don't remember when it was introduced and when it was discontinued but I don't think it was offered for a year, it may have only been like 8 months from introduction to discontinuing.
 
"Ive been tossing back and forth between what camera I am going to purchase in March. a dvx100 or a dvc80. after much thought, I am going to go with the dvc80. "
Barry_Green said:
DVC80's been discontinued for around three years now.
:grin:
 
Yeah I know. I was just looking at DVX100A's again, and now my biggest concern is this.

24p feature aside, the cameras are essentially the same, correct? So, Do I buy the less expensive DVC80 and purchase a Manfrotto/Shoulder Rig, and an inexpensive light kit. Or do I opt for the widely accepted DVX100, and pay $400-$600 more for the camera alone


what do you guys think?
 
24p feature aside, the cameras are essentially the same, correct? So, Do I buy the less expensive DVC80 and purchase a Manfrotto/Shoulder Rig, and an inexpensive light kit. Or do I opt for the widely accepted DVX100, and pay $400-$600 more for the camera alone

I'd buy the cheapest 3chip camera and spend the rest on a nice light kit. You can get really good deals at www.bmlighting.com
 
If you don't care 24P, what about the new Canon HV-10? It seems to have an unbeatable great high res offer.
 
Well, dude Im still going to be doing professional gigs, so If I walk into a room with a Canon HV 10, I'll get laughed right out of the room.

It sucks, but the size of the camera you use really does matter.

Even if it doesnt, it makes me feel good. Compensation I suppose
 
24P is not the only difference between the cameras. I did a post a few years ago that illustrated the differences, but there were several. I don't believe the DVC80 offers the cinegamma, or the focus and zoom readouts, or a bunch of nice things like that.
 
hmmmm... thats good to know. I was under the impression that way were the same minus 24p. Thats why I figured they werent available for very long. If you have that post handy, that would be great. I'll do a search for it.
 
AllAroundFilmLV said:
Well, dude Im still going to be doing professional gigs, so If I walk into a room with a Canon HV 10, I'll get laughed right out of the room.

It sucks, but the size of the camera you use really does matter.
Understood. But try to add a stabilizer system plus a matte box + rods + a 35mm adapter genre M2 + SLR lenses and maybe you can find what you're looking for. Without mention the 35mm DOF with shallow film-like properties if you wish or will need as an option and value-added.
 
AllAroundFilmLV said:
Well, dude Im still going to be doing professional gigs, so If I walk into a room with a Canon HV 10, I'll get laughed right out of the room.

It sucks, but the size of the camera you use really does matter.

Even if it doesnt, it makes me feel good. Compensation I suppose
hey dude, you are funny.. you don't want the canon even if w/ the super pro emanuel's setup.. and do you want to seem pro with a dvc80?.. lol
 
a DVC80 is better than a Canon HV10 imo. But thats just my opinion.

and yeah I would rather have a DVC80 than a Consumer camera with a bunch of toys on it.
 
go ahead.. but if you're thinking those are toys, i suggest you first.. some research.. for a pro use you must know what are rods, matte, filters, etc.. what it means smooth imaging/operating etc.. and some filmmaking lessons if you are thinking to do a professional work.. the bootcamps would be a good idea..
 
ok cool, I'll look into the bootcamps. thnx. I say toys becuase I dont know how to use any of those yet, so buying those would be a waste. Also, I want to stay in SD b/c HD video is a massive beast I am not ready to conquer yet. Ive been told to stay in SD for at least a year until going HD. And even when we decide to go HD, hire somebody who knows HD, to make the transition easier.

Thnx for giving me a hard time filmmaker :)
 
Back
Top