Is the FS700 Camera the one for me?

MelbFilm

New member
My work is pretty broad, I shoot VFX stuff, corporate stuff, commercials, short films, a few features and I am looking at purchasing camera. Currently I only have a Canon 7D are hire what I need on occassions where it is not suitable. I am spending a reasonable amount on camera hire so I figure its getting close to being time to buy.

Some of the camera options I am interested in are:

* FS700 (Well laid out, pretty nice image, pretty versatile, possible 4K)
* Blackmagic Cinema Camera (Nice Image, RAW, amazing price, not so good ergonomics, would like a bigger sensor (lens cropping))
* RED Scarlett (Very good image, like its RAW work flow, all the extras are a bit on the expensive side for my budget)

I like the option of 4K from the FS700 but I am concerned it may be a while off and it may be extra costly (over $4,000) and I can't seem to get confirmation if it will be RAW or not. RAW really helps with my VFX work and I just love how flexible the RED footage is. So I am not prepared to pull the trigger on the FS700 yet, I can wait a few more months but I would love to hear thoughts and suggestions from others out there.

Any help much appreciated.
 
That's a pretty broad question, and three VERY different cameras you're looking at. I've only used one of those cameras, but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth anyhow....

The BMD has some very strong pros, and some very strong cons. What kills it for me is the built-in battery -- to use it in the field I would need to get an add-on power kit, like V-mount or something, which adds cost and bulk -- watering down the advantages somewhat. Plus the fixed display is potentially awkward -- throw on a monitor, more cost and bulk. You'll need to choose between the EF-mount version, to keep your existing lenses; or the MFT version, to get more wide lens options.

The FS700 is, for me, a great workhorse. I love that I hiked all day Sunday shooting everything I saw, and the one NP-F970 battery I was using ended up at 40%. The picture is superb, too, and the sensor size is basically what you're used to with the 7D. But don't get excited about 4k on the FS700 until we have a clear picture of when it's coming, what it will cost, and how much stuff we'll need to stick on to the camera -- in other words, at this point, I wouldn't buy it for the 4k. But there are plenty of other good things it has going for it. Don't forget to budget for an adapter to use your EF lenses, and of course there are plenty of other lens options.

Scarlet is of course awesome in many ways, and already 4k; just watch out for the true cost. Price up the TOTAL kit you need to shoot with, bearing in mind the reported short battery life and the rate at which memory cards fill up. Of course you should do this for any camera, but with Red, the numbers can be pretty shocking.

http://philipbloom.net/2011/11/20/scarlet/
 
I like the FS700 a lot, but with the huge rash of cheap, really good cameras that have been announced in the last few weeks: BMC, GH3, Nikon D600 which all have an in-camera 4:2:0 8bit codec or better with 4:2:2 HDMI output, it seems that Sony should increase the internal bit rate on both the FS700 and the F3 to keeps it's value and justify the large additional price tag, to at least 50mb 4:2:2.

But personally, I think the FS700 is much more of a workhorse camera than the BMC. The BMC form factor is just really odd and completely useless without a rig of some sort, whereas, I think the ergonomics of the FS700 is completely under-rated as is actually really good once your shorten the viewfinder.

But I do like how the BMC has a very good internal codec without the need for an external recorder. But I guess all the other external stuff the BMC needs cancels that.
 
Last edited:
I personally think the FS700 is the most versatile of the two, i've used the scarlet on a number of occasions and it really is a niche tool; you pretty much can't do any slow mo for example and my god is that thing loud, we called it the hair dryer on set. It's only really noisy when you button off, but still. Built in ND's, the option for super slow mo, simple recording media, reasonably priced accessories etc, i think the fs700 is the winner, especially at half the price of the scarlet, if not less.
 
I feel that one cannot focus with a large monitor, and on paid gigs this monitor and the camera need long power duration.

ergo all three cameras need Vlock and an external monitor.

While the three cameras are different, they seem similar in that regard.

The BMC having a plus in that one can dismount the camera for cutaways without considering power.

S
 
Thanks for all of your thoughts.

I guess I can cross scarlett of my list, price seems to be a bit prohibitive for me at the moment. I think I will wait a few months to see how this whole FS700 4k thing shapes up. I had almost written of the BMC for all its complications but I have seen too much great footage out of the thing and I just can't let it go.

So I guess if the 4K is too expensive or does not eventuate soon I will head down the BMC path, if however I can get RAW 4k from the Sony its a no brainer. Just wish Sony would hurry up and let us know!
 
I feel that one cannot focus with a large monitor, and on paid gigs this monitor and the camera need long power duration.

ergo all three cameras need Vlock and an external monitor.

While the three cameras are different, they seem similar in that regard.

The BMC having a plus in that one can dismount the camera for cutaways without considering power.

S

My experience has been different with the FS700 and that is I LIKE it so much. I like to shoot a lot of barebones handheld holding the camera like how James Miller cradles his FS100. With a SHORTENED viewfinder, I find the on-board LCD perfectly suitable for focus. Of course a good external monitor would be better for focus, but for my style of shooting, the more I add to the camera the more conservative my shots become. I find for handheld shots, the FS700 is leaps and bounds better than say my 60D or 5D.

As for batteries, I have two 970s and on 770 and they last a really long time. I have yet to use all 3 on a single day shoot. It's nice to not have a big brick IMO attached to the camera. But I guess it's just how you like to shoot. Some people like lots of gear, others like less and that's whats nice about the FS700 is that you can get away with minimal gear.

I think it just depends on the situation. Sometimes you need a monitor and a brick, but certain looks require a minimal setup which the FS700 is great at.

Here's 2 examples of some stuff I shot just using the on-camera LCD with nothing else.

https://vimeo.com/46945154

https://vimeo.com/48711717

Overall, I've been very pleased with the FS700. I do find the 24mbps a bit substandard for 60fps, but for 24fps, it's fine.

I just wish they would give us some idea about the 4K soon. I'm very anxious.
 
Last edited:
I like to shoot a lot of barebones handheld holding the camera like how James Miller cradles his FS100. With a SHORTENED viewfinder, I find the on-board LCD perfectly suitable for focus.

As you say its about what you do.

I find the onboard inadequate for interviews, which is my bread and butter - and there are no take two's

I would say the same about all S35 cams BTW, F3, C300 whatever,



S
 
I hear you. I had a chance to play with the FS700 over a weekend and fell in love with it. So easy to use and such great low-light sensitivity! However, the BMC footage looks SO unique and organic, like really well shot 16mm. Tough choice. I was set of the FS700 but I've ordered the BMC. I think I'll use that for a while and if I hate it, I'll sell it and get the FS700...

Now if someone could come up with a picture profile that looked the same then it would be a much easier decision!

Good luck!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top