IS on NEW 24-70f4 vs older 24-105

eco_bach

Well-known member
Considering purchase of the new 25-70f4 primarily for the IS. But is the Image stabilization REALLY any better than on the older 24-105?

I know all about the other strengths and weaknesses of this lens and not quite convinced its worth an additional $500 over the 24-105

New- virtually distortion free throughout focal range and sharper wide open at 24mm.
Old- strong barrel distortion at 24 mm, so unsuitable for architecture. interior room shots at 24mm
 
If the new gives you distortion free that is what I would get but then it depends on what you are using it for. I'm looking at getting the 24-70 due to it wideness and need it to look clean but still don't know enough at the moment to give any real advice. I would like to have it at 2.8 instead of f4
 
The Canon 24-70 f/4IS makes no sense. Had it been 2.8, it would have.

If you need 2.8, get the 24-70; it's a fine lens. The 24-105 f/4IS is also a very fine lens at a good price. They are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, there is a price in sharpness to pay, but distortion at the wide end can be corrected. I don't think it's terribly distracting, not like 17mm on the 17-40.
 
Back
Top