Is Nattress best?

tmac1

New member
Hi guys - been reading your posts for a long time. Shooting doc with a 100B and a Sony HDR-HC7 (don't bother saying I'm crazy) for back-up and b-roll. Panny in 24pA for best look after ext. research, and it's beautiful. Surprise - so is the Sony, in SD using Cin. Effect. WB them and color nearly matches before edit. Still, it leaves me with 24pA and 60i, both shot LB because of Barry Green's Footnote1 in DVX Book. Is Nattress best for conversion of Sony footage to 24? Using FCP (new to it), but also have PC with V7, so have choices of Compressor and Cineform. Plus, have Bullet and Instant HD, tho' I haven't installed either. What say you, Barry and David Jimerson?
 
Cin. Effect=Cineframe? 60i conversion to 24p is a tricky business but starting out with Cine mode means that your 60i footage is already lower res than it should have been and can make it difficult.
 
I personally fnd the nattress method the most pleasing, not to mention the easiest. If you're not to far along with the doc I'd stop shooting with the cine effect on.
 
So the Sony Cin. lowers res. because it's a digital effect? Looks great, but I'll lose it if it poorly affects the conversion. Only did back-up with it and will use mostly the Panny footage. Besides, I only need maybe 5-10 minutes of the 52 I shot... Thanks for your input. Finished 2 shoots - first in 4:3, which I'll mask, but like the framing better in 16:9 (OK, LB mode).
 
Thanks, everyone. I'll go with Nattress. Thanks to David, too, for putting the 24p Basics for Vegas out there - great tutorial.
 
Back
Top