Inexpensive follow focus solution?

zen75

Member
I'm looking for a reasonably prices follow focus and gear solution for the FS700+7Q. I use Canon lenses. I see lots of chinese products on ebay but am worried about the play on these models. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone use Lensgears? Looks like they strap on without a screw, could be good for fitting lenses into bags.
 
Lanparte makes the best medium priced follow focus. I think it's around $500. It has had excellent reviews and it's a very smart design. We also have an Arri Follow focus which is 3x more, but we use the Lanparte more just because it's so easy and quick to set up and change.

The first one I got was defective, but they quickly replace it and the newer one is fantastic.

http://www.lanparte.com

Also, I would use Half-Inch rails, designed by our very own Morgan Moore. Much better than lens gears. So much quick and easier to attach to a follow focus.

http://halfinchrails.com
 
I have a new FF coming in this week and have a Redrock V2 follow focus that I was planning on selling for $300 if that interests you. The Redrock V2 isn't particularly small, requires 15mm rails, and has a gear box so check and see if it's a good fit for your rig. I have been using it for a couple of years with good results. It comes with a reverse gear for Nikons also.
 
I have also used halfinchrails lens gears, they work really well. However, I recently had a guy on eBay make me some 3D-printed lens gears that are custom fit to the size of my lenses. Here is his profile. He has measurements for a bunch of lenses already. I asked him for low-profile gears so my lenses could still fit in my case the same way. Really great semi-permanent solution.

for follow focus, I don't have as much experience. I've honestly been pretty darn happy with my cheap Fotasy $175 follow focus. Has hard stops, rotating witness post, and a knob to increase/decrease drag. I'm sure I'll upgrade in the future, but it does the job!
 
Back
Top