In theory... RAW recorder in the Flash Memory slot?

Gene Sung

Veteran
I don´t know jack about the FS700 technically.

But is it possible for Sony to somehow integrate the RAW recorder into the Flash Memory slot on the side of the FS700? Or at least somehow fit it in the slot even if still requires the HD SDI cable, but somehow have the on-camera record button trigger the RAW recorder?

That would be such an elegant and efficient solution to have the recorder integrated into the camera as opposed to needing additional rigging to support the recorder. I would pay a premieum for that luxury.

Is something like that even possible with the FMU slot?
 
That would be great, but sadly I think it's unlikely. The electronics alone are likely to be too big, and you have to allow for the media too. It won't be SD -- way too slow -- so hopefully they'll use SSD drives, which are also much bigger than the slot. I really think the design of the FMU is pretty lame, and I very much doubt whether it took 4k into account at all.

Also the recorder is likely to need a lot of power, probably more than the camera can provide -- it's dealing with a whole lot of data. Existing 4k recorders are pretty bulky and need added power.

Having the camera record button trigger the recorder should be easy, using timecode trigger. That works with the Samurai and PIX recorders today.
 
Back
Top