Importing MXF files (originated from Panasonic HVX200/P2) into Avid

File Permissions

File Permissions

Joe - I had the same problem in Windows XP and solved it this way:

1) Open Control Panel -> Folder Options
2) Under "View" un-check "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" and apply
3) You now have granular control of file & user permissions and ownership
4) Go to your media folders, right-click on them, go to the "Security" tab
5) Add "Administrators" to the "Group or user names:" box.
6) Allow "Full Control" in the permissions box.

You should now be able to access the media files and folders.

Hope this helps!

Brantz

For all of those like myself who could'nt see all of their files when you opened Media Tool.....GOOD NEWS!!!! Matt McEwen from Focus sent me yet another Firmware update. A beta version created 6/19/06. IT WORKS!! Finally after a month, my Firestore/Avid workflow works. I have asked him to keep me updated on the next steps (ie getting P2 folders to work) I don't know if the Beta Firmware has been posted on their site yet, but contact Matt if you need it. His email is on the Firestore page of Creativecow.net

Well, the new FS-100 Firmware is up, seems to work fine and Avid can now see all of our new clips - the only question is how do we fix all of our earlier footage so the Avid Media tool can see it? The Panasonic P2 player can read and play it just fine, but not Avid... I understood from Focus that there was a duplicate file naming issue, but all of our clips are uniquely named. I really need to get that footage in there - can anybody help? Thx!

Last edited:
Wow, glad to see things are getting sorted out. A BIG thanks to everyone contributing to this discussion. The big problem is that the P2/MXF workflow, as cool as it is, is so new that the companies are still trying to figure out all the little details. Give 'em time as I'm sure all these issues will be resolved soon.

just to update on my latest MXF issues...I still have A1 sound files that I cannot use/access, and wouldn't you know it -these are the very audio files I need for my drama (I was dumb enough to not also record audio backup). I have tried to delete all the audio files and replace them with the original MXF files copied to DVD media. But, when we go into media tool, the A1 files are still offline, and I don't know why. Obviously in a drama this is incredibly important to have your dialogue, so I don't know what else to do because I cannot hear the audio anywhere except once inside the Avid.

As I related before about DV Film, they do allow the ability to create an AVI then import into the Avid, but when I do it this way, I get crazy digital static, which is clearly unusable. But the c-crazy thing is that the bad/offline audio is intermittent. Some files are just fine while others are inaccessible. Very weird. Anyone else?

DC:

I am working on multiple HD projects. When I use the media tool to import master clips, it finds all of the clips (from previous projects). Is there a way to just say "bring in clips from MXF/2 etc, or do I have to look at each clip individually and distinguish which clips I want to drag where...?

That's a good question. I haven't really experimented too much. I wonder if v5.5.1 has any improvements in the process. MichaelP would be good to ask. Also, GeoMar (post above) has some great ideas.

The Windows version of the P2 Genie is coming and that will help make life easier.

Cool. Thanks for the input.

MichaelP, any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know how to work 720/24pn into a 1080/60i timeline?

Eric

There is no mix and match support of different frame rates within Avid projects at this time (as you are painfully aware). Other than exporting files via QT Ref to After Effects and rendering from there, I don't know of any real solution. I am playing with InstandHD from Red Giant to check out some of these workflows. I will report back.

Michael

Thanks for the feedback. Is there any better structure for importing MXF files. Right now, when I start a new project, it still brings up all of the clips in the media tool from previous projects, and I have to sort through them.

5.5.1 does not hold any improvement on workflow with P2. The big thing for them was to gwet XDCam HD working -although I believe it is only 25 Mbit at this point.

Have not had any resolve with the audio file problem I've encountered...I was able to actually listen to a file thru WMP, but of course Avid still sees it as offline, no matter if i replace it or not.

I just installed Xpress Pro v5.5.1 last night. The MXF naming structure (1.ProjectName-Day1-Card1) that worked in v5.2.4 doesn't seem to work now. It seems I'm restricted to naming folders 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. Is there something I'm missing, some parameters I'm not following?

I never went that route because I found it simpler to put all the project files (seeing as though I have one moster feature to focus on) into one folder named 1. I've since found that the media tool doesn't want to work as it did with the root C drive (which is where I've put most of my MXF media).

In the beta 5.5.1 notes there was nothing specific about how to handle P2 media or how it was manged differently. Sorry -think we're in the dark on this at the moment.

have you found a solution to your A1 offline clips?
i have the exact same problem.
ilessner<at>wiesenthal<dot>com

ILeditor said:
have you found a solution to your A1 offline clips?
i have the exact same problem.
ilessner<at>wiesenthal<dot>com

Open your Avid project. At the same time, open your MediaFiles folder and highlight one of the audio files you know exist, but doesn't read in your timeline. Move (not copy) that file out of the Mediafiles folder to your desktop. Go back to Avid, your media tool should automatically update the database. Now go back to explorer and move that file back into the MediaFiles folder. Now go back to Avid and the media tool should automatically update yet again... except this time all Track 1 audio files for every clip should show up... at least that works for me. I don't know what it is, but you have to kick Avid in the butt to make it recognize those some times.

Also, for anyone reading, its great to hear the the Firestore got a firmware update to fix the missing media files. For those who need to edit footage prior to this, the only work around I have been able to create was to recognize all the MXF files we shot at once and place those in their own MediaFiles folder. Then rename each folder something unique (MediaFiles-Tuesday, MediaFiles-Wednesday, etc.). Then, remove the "-Tuesday" if I want to edit those files and start up Avid. That way, Avid will only recognize those files at one time and I can edit them. Unfortunately without re-exporting those files as quicktimes, I cannot edit them with any other files from any other day.

hope this helps

lmerino said:
For those who need to edit footage prior to this, the only work around I have been able to create was to recognize all the MXF files we shot at once and place those in their own MediaFiles folder. Then rename each folder something unique (MediaFiles-Tuesday, MediaFiles-Wednesday, etc.). Then, remove the "-Tuesday" if I want to edit those files and start up Avid. That way, Avid will only recognize those files at one time and I can edit them. Unfortunately without re-exporting those files as quicktimes, I cannot edit them with any other files from any other day.

Depends a bit on how your quicktime export settings are. To avoid quality loss from multiple exports, I think it's best to use consolidate. This creates new clips, but does not recompress.

Back