import/export high quality footage

c.cook88

Active member
I know there are a lot of "new" people to the film world in this forum. I for one am wishing I was doing less time sorting through the technical aspects, and more shooting. But of course education and hard work accompanies any hobby worth pursuing. I am completely amazed and humbled by the knowledge being flung around this site, and aspire to someday have even a faint understanding. Those of you who do this for a living... boy do I show you my respect... and ask to share just a few insights with a hobbyist.

I have a macbook pro, panasonic gh1 and final cut express.

I feel that i have shot some footage that I really enjoy (untrained eye)

My question is, what is the best way to import hd footage, work with hd footage, and export hd footage to retain the highest quality possible?

If you have any ideas on workflow, i'd be greatful! Thanks in advance, and to all those who have helped me already!
 
Your least headache way is converting the mts files to avis using NeoScene from cineform. Yes it cost money ($129) and yes the files get big but its still the fastest and easiest HD files to work with. Good thing is you can use these avi/mov in the editor of your chosing.
 
Thanks... I'm downloading the neoscene trial now... i want to make sure i know how to work with it before I spend the cash.

So what I think you're saying is; importing files using final cut express' log and transfer window will degrade quality? Any files I import using this method look fine in the viewer of FCE, but when moved to the timeline they look slightly less smooth and a tad bit less sharp. Same result when exported in h.264 and viewed on HD tv.
 
Oh, well if you are using a mac with FCP you have access to ProRes which is great. So you may not need cineform. However download it and try it out, see how the conversion times are between them. Let me know what your results are please.
 
Thank you so much for your help!

I have final cut express... the codec I use to import is apple intermediate codec 1920x1080i60... i edit and export in either .mov or .mp4 using h.264 at highest quality.

Is there an advantage to purchase FCP for the proress codec? Will it make a huge diff???

once again.... indepted to your help!!!
 
Back
Top