C200: I wrote, shot, and edited a Sketch in 24 hours on the C200 in Raw

giovannylago

So we wanted to try a bit of an experiment and yesterday morning we wrote a sketch, shot it in the afternoon, edited it overnight and we posted it today. Kind of like a self-imposed 24 hour film festival to see what we could learn from the process.

We wrote with the locations we wanted in mind, and then we just drove around looking for places that would allow us to film there relatively quickly (in and out in about 20 minutes). Luckily we were able to pull it off (one gym location and one small grocery store). The one location we couldn't find was cut from the script (an office). We shot almost everything with available light (with the exception of some bounce in the park scene, and a 1x1 LED light panel mimicking the sun coming through the blinds in the bedroom scene). It was just the actor and I for crew and we recreated most of the sound in post. One thing we learned is that the DPAF doesn't work as well in Raw as it does in the 8 bit codec. Our goal was to spend $0 on this video, but we ended up spending about $4 on some brownies that we needed for a prop.

I would love to know your thoughts and feedback on the final edit. How's the color grade and sound mix? Does the sketch work?

We know it's not perfect but something about creating under such constraints is actually very exhilarating!

https://youtu.be/Z-0fiJTZ_oM

Technicals are good, nice work. Subject matter: prefer more constructive humor (turn negative things into funny/absurd situations vs. an anger/annoyance- compare Seinfeld vs. Curb your Enthusiasm etc.).

DPAF: would not expect raw to have reduced AF performance vs. 8-bit- did you test both raw and 8-bit in exactly the same conditions?

The DPAF performance is noticeably worse in Raw, especially when face detect is on. It is just inconsistent and unreliable. It's great in either 8 bit codec.

The DPAF performance is noticeably worse in Raw, especially when face detect is on. It is just inconsistent and unreliable. It's great in either 8 bit codec.

Do you have test results posted anywhere that support this supposition? I haven't noticed that but maybe I have not been discerning enough to notice the difference? I haven't read any reviews or seen any videos that highlight this?

I'll make a video about it soon. Maybe I have a bad unit?

Another problem I frequently encounter is whenever I remove and reattach the side handle, the aperture control dial doesn't work. I have to reboot the camera a few times before it starts working again.

I've made sure that the cable is firmly placed all the way in, and the record button and focus guide button always work fine. It's only the aperture control dial that glitches.

Can you post a short clip (just a few seconds is sufficient) that show's the issue: 8-bit working, then raw not working, under the exact same settings, lens, aperture, movements, etc.? The C300 II also shoots raw, and neither the C300 II nor C200 have had reports of this behavior after many years of being on the market. Thus if you have proof that this is true, that's big news worthy of a firmware update to fix (there's no technical reason for this to happen other than perhaps a bug or hardware issue).

This guy shoots C200 raw, and his only issue with DPAF is super shallow DOF not being quite sharp enough on eyes (when moving slightly):

Thus it's important to see your test setup, lens(es), aperture, lighting, movement, etc. so others can try to replicate your findings.

The sketch is really nice, I haven't noticed how I managed to reach the end of it. Thanks! I have enjoyed reading it. Why not accompany it with some illustrations? Try to make pencil sketches for the most important scenes. In this way, the reader will stay more focused and entertained. In general, visuals are very welcome nowadays. Just an idea, in case you want to keep it in this way, then it is all good too. I am looking forward to seeing the video too!

Haha.

The sketch is really nice, I haven't noticed how I managed to reach the end of it. Thanks! I have enjoyed reading it. Why not accompany it with some illustrations? Try to make pencil sketches for the most important scenes. In this way, the reader will stay more focused and entertained. In general, visuals are very welcome nowadays. Just an idea, in case you want to keep it in this way, then it is all good too. I am looking forward to seeing the video too!

WTF?

Back