I Need Help!!!!

Matt Yang

New member
Wanting to get a JVC110u, but I need some questions answered please.

1) Does the 110u work seamlessly with FCP? (any issues)
2) Is the 110u picky at what tapes it uses?

And any other information that you guys think I should know about this Camera, good or bad. Thank You for Your Time and Take Care.
 
Hey Matt,
1.) I recently shot a film with the HD100U in Brasil this past summer. When we got back, there was very little support for the HD100 720/24p shooting mode that we used.
We were on every forum, and talking to as many industry professionals we could when we came back, just to be able to capture our footage. We bought the Lumiere plug-in which was a completely horrible experience. It gave us audio sync issues, and unbeknown to us, it has a limit of capture, but does not have any way of telling you, since you cannot preview anything it is capturing. The folks at Lumiere wouldn't respond to any questions we had and were impossible to deal with. Completely absurd plug-in, and we were going to file a complaint against the company.
So, we ended up renting the JVC HD deck, to transfer the footage, bought a HD Kona capture card, and ingested the footage into our FCP as DVCPROHD format, and we haven't looked back since. The footage looks absolutely incredible, and solved all of our earlier issues.
Apple has very recently come out with an update for FCP 5.1 that has now has complete support for the JVC HD110. But I have yet to test it.

2.) When we were shooting the film, we got different perscpectives and philosophies regarding what tapes to use. One media supply company said that it doesn't matter which brand you use, and if you switch tape manufactures. He said that the probelms were more prevelant in the 80's technology of tape manufacturers.

But, I was told by a different supplier, that tapes from Sony, Panasonic, and JVC all have different types of moisture on the film, I think they said that Sony tends to be more dry, and Panasonic has a filmy substance. They said the rule of thumb is this, just stick to one manufacturer for your tape stock, otherwise the filmy substance from Panny tapes, may rub onto your heads, then putting in a sony tape, in may cause that substance to then run on that sony tape and effect playback.

Through this experience, we went through a lengthy trial and error process, so I know how important getting good info is. I hope this helps!

and oh by the way, as far as a recommendation for the HD110: Before shooting this film I had the HVX200, the producer of the film bought the HD100 for me to use in Brasil, I came back sold my HVX and just recently bought myself the HD110.
I just loved using the HD100 camera, everyone can't believe how good the shots look. I just couldn't go back to my HVX, I had an affair with the JVC HD100 and fell in love with her...
 
Last edited:
I shot documentary footage in Thailand this past summer. The HD100 performed admirably. I shot in 720p. The footage turned out great. Sample footage can be seen at

http://web.mac.com/pecahill/iWeb/Site/Elephant Haven 2.html

I'm currently editing with FCP 5.1.4 without difficulty.
PHDVM-630DM
I've shot over 150 hours of Sony digital master mini cassettes with little evidence of dropouts. I recommend the media. The advice I've heard -- and heed to -- is stick one brand.
 
Back
Top